1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The strange case of Major Mathew L. Golsteyn

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by charles, Jun 10, 2015.

1. charles

charles The Transporter

What are your thoughts on the peculiar case of Army Major Mathew L. Golsteyn? Is he being persecuted, or is he a murderer?

2. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

3. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Not many facts to go on, but aside from knowingly shooting an unarmed non-combatant, I have a hard time with the military prosecuting a soldier for killing an identified enemy combatant regardless of the (unknown) ROE.

4. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

I care about him conspiring to hide evidence by cremating the body. That takes it from fog of war to murder in my book.

5. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

This case sounds a lot like the case of the soldier throwing himself onto a grenade in Iraq thus saving the lives of several other soldiers, being nominated for the MOH then having that canceled and was finally given a silver star because he had been accused of trying to sell a rifle scope on Ebay. They investigated but did not charge him for anything yet still did not award the Metal of Honor.

Some strange stuff happening within the military ranks today. I wonder if this kind of stuff is coming down from the White House?

6. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

Total BS IMO. Charge him on whatever you think he did wrong. His actions that earned him his medals still stand. The fact that none of his fellow soldiers were willing to testify against him speaks of him.

Something tells me he made enemies high up by not toeing the line and its not coming back to bite him in the ass.

7. charles

charles The Transporter

Do you find it peculiar at al that Golsteyn made this 'confession' during the course of interviewing (polygraph) at the CIA, at which time it is made very clear to everyone, several times over, that any crimes or suspected crimes will be reported to the appropriate authorities for investigation and prosecution? Would a man like Golsteyn be that stupid? Or was he being very clever about dragging the CIA into this situation? IMHO, it is unlikely that he was trying to impress anyone at CIA by describing the killing of the (alleged) 'innocent civilian.' He didn't have to embellish anything to be impressive.

This entire thing reminds me of the equally strange case of Col. Robert Rheault and the CIA back in 1969…deja vu?

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015