1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The New James Bond Is a Wus!

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Tahoe Man, Oct 25, 2005.

1. MarkB

MarkB All's well that ends well

England is a more violent society than the US:
    - identical decline in morals as result of more permissive society
    - "yob" culture of youth's roaming the streets, police powerless to stop
    - petty crime like burglary, car theft, and vandalism is rife and stems from poor social background and boredom
    - overcrowding: 65M people in country the size of Long Island (ok..but you get the idea).

If you relaxed gun laws in the UK it would at first be crazy. But after a few car/house robbers got their asses shot by pissed off citizens, on a regular basis.....and after a few rapists got their genitals blown away by a few hundred scared females..........I think you would see this petty violent crime fall DRAMATICALLY.

Ok - so there might be some more gangland style killings using guns instead of knives - but those kind of chaps are welcome to shoot each other all day long as far as I am concerned.

BASICALLY - as a concerned citizen of the UK, and a concerned resident of the US: I would welcome unrestricted gun access in the UK. I know the "deaths by guns" statisitic would go up - but I for one would prefer it that way.....:up:

2. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Do you think that maybe their execution of punishment has more to do with their lower crime (across the board) numbers?
    You think they have as many liberals concerned about a criminals rights as we do?

I also agree that the new Bond to be is a moron with no values apparantly. Hmmmm another actor that will trade his values for a paycheck.........if you dont like guns why take the role? :rolleyes:
    Oh and am I the only one who thoroughly enjoyed Mongo verbally beat down Robert?
    Sorry Robert.....;)

Last edited: Oct 27, 2005
  3. Shyster d'Oil

Shyster d'Oil Gerard Frommage

But you don't really know, do you, what the execution numbers/rate is in Japan or what kind of criminal justice system they have?

4. Shyster d'Oil

Still waiting, Frankie-san!

5. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Why NO I do not Mr. Doyle! ;)

Although, without having any detail I do know their system is more stringent than ours when it comes to more petty type crimes so I can only imagine how they handle the more serious stuff. Atleast that was the way it was explained to me by a Japanese friend a few yrs back.

6. Shyster d'Oil

7. Shyster d'Oil

Stringent on the petty stuff is important. In NY you can slug someone in the face with no warning or provocation and be charged only with a violation. A speeding ticket is a violation.

8. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Jerry Springer?

9. Knarf Legna

Knarf Legna I am not Gary Hoover

Wait on, I don't know the answer to that and neither does Robert, although he'd like us to believe that he does. You might, let us know if you do. :Poke:

Robert is employing the ageless dance of avoiding answering a question by asking another. Remember the Canuck's prior question, the one that led here (that's if we ignore the first question I asked him that he didn't answer)? Here it is in case you forgot:

I replied yes, and followed up by asking him why he felt that legalizing guns in Tokyo would suddenly result in rational, stable, law-abiding Japanese citizens suddently going on a murder spree. Never got an answer, just more questions.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2005
  10. LMcCurdy

LMcCurdy Antique

You could give every citizen of Japan a brand new handgun and the crime rate would not increase. Do that here, another story. The Japanese people practice more self discipline than the citizens of the US. Our crime rates reflect it.

11. Super Dave

Super Dave Exhausted and Abused

See, that's not a fact.

You're implying that.

Crime statistics can vary because of reporting. I think we're pretty darn good here at reporting and whining about stuff. Now if we want to talk about the Japanese...

Would we imply that some Japanese would be shameful of a criminal occurance that happened to them? Shame? Dishonor? Why were you in such a place? Why were you with those people? The family shame that could be avoided by just not reporting a crime...

12. Super Dave

I look at it again, and I think your concept is just ridiculous.

Your implying that if every citizen in the US were given a handgu, that the crime ratw would increase?

What is that based on? I know lots and lots and lots of people with handguns, shotguns, and rifles, yet non of those people have increased the rate of crime.

What is your thought process based on?

13. Shyster d'Oil

Umm, maybe there are lowlife scum who don't have guns but would use them to commit a crime if they had them? Just a guess.

14. Shyster d'Oil

Was that "yes" with an explanation?

15. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

We dont have that here in NJ. :p

16. Super Dave

Right, just a guess...

Low life scum do not need permits to get guns. They can be obtained illegally. Seems like the scum that want them can get them.

17. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

Rodg... how can a lawyer call people lowlife scum? :D

18. Rain Director

Rain Director Old guy

Geez, Frank, NEVER answer with anything but a "yes", "no" or "I don't recall" when a lawyer asks a question! See how they twist everything around?

The non-use of smilies in this post is intentional, given Rodger's recent rants on thier use.

19. Shyster d'Oil

John, hey, I used to sell used cars. Then i aspired to move up and become a lawyer! So its all relative.

Mostly Cloudy Director: Truer words were never spoken, and I speak those to every client just before a deposition.

20. Robert

Robert Flies all green 'n buzzin

Geez. I asked three questions and your only reply was a question. And now I'm the one being evasive? :rolleyes:

My answer (minus your sensational adjectives): If people in Tokyo had more guns, yes, I think more people would get shot.

The current stats where I live are something close to two thirds of homicide victims are related to or acquainted with their murderer. Assuming that's similar in Japan (or higher, considering their minimal violent crime rate), I don't see how having a gun for self defense is going to protect someone from their spouse, or, in most situations, from their friends.

And no, I don't know why homicide rates in some countries are higher than others. That's why I asked.

I do believe that if a society (relatively speaking) has low crime rates and doesn't use guns, then strict gun control laws will be effective. In the US's case, and to a large degree Canada's as well, that's not as useful an option. The horse is already out of the barn, so to speak.