1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The New James Bond Is a Wus!

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Tahoe Man, Oct 25, 2005.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You keep forgetting YOU brought up Tokyo. Now what does it have to do with a dumbass actor making a dumbass statement?

2. Robert

Robert Flies all green 'n buzzin

Frank did. Now pay attention, I will explain this again just for you. :D

I replied to Tahoe's original post ridiculing the actor and implying that guns don't kill people is a fallacy. The inference I got from his comment is that increased gun ownership is a good thing because it automatically reduces violence. Maybe I made a leap there but too late now.

Note that I didn't deny what he said was true. My point is that other countries are more or less violent and the level of gun ownership isn't a reliable predictor of this. It seemed logical to make comparisons to illustrate my point. Sao Paulo and Tokyo are at opposite ends of the scale so I decided they are the best examples.

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You made a huge leap and it isn't too late to go back. Especially since the way you worded everything made no sense.

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Just in case you forgot who brought up what. ;)

5. LMcCurdy

LMcCurdy Antique

Re: Re: The New James Bond Is a Wus!

Now how can you bash something you're so closely related too. Guns are not toys Tom, they're tools.;)

:)

6. Robert

You have selective memory skills. I originally said

And I mentioned other cities as examples to back that up. Frank then asked why wouldn't US gun laws reduce the homicide rate in Tokyo.

I've said I don't know, but to presume US-style gun ownership laws would reduce crime in Tokyo sure seems like a case of the pot calling the kettle black.

Their situation is different, the goal is the same but different tactics make sense. Same on the other end of the scale with Brazil, or Baghdad for that matter.

:)

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

So do you or do you not know what effect US gun laws would have in these cities you brought up as an example of your initial assertion that what makes sense to people in the US doesn't always make sense to other people. Which in and of itself is a major DUH type of statement until you tried to back it up and make it seem insightful.

But now that you made it, back it up.

8. Robert

We know that what's happening in Tokyo works for them. And it works a whole lot better than what either of our countries are doing. Everything else is opinion.

Including the presumption that more guns would lower their homicide rate.

But for anyone with a homicide rate that is between 5 and 50 times higher (which includes me, btw) to suggest the Japanese could improve things by "doing it our way" still seems like absolute freaking lunacy.

Quit nitpicking and turn off that reality-distortion field!! :D

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Still a big old duh? You really can't back up your statement by the way - it didn't make any sense in or out of context :Poke:

And FWIW, no way to know at all or even suppose what woul dhappen in Tokyo, it could increase crime, it could decrease it even more - you don't know.

10. Robert

What part of "Everything else is opinion" can't you understand? :confused:

But I will concede anyway: Even though the homicide rate is 5-50 times higher here, technically it's still possible the Japanese are doing it all wrong. :Poke:

11. Super Dave

Super Dave Exhausted and Abused

Japan has a death penalty.

In 1999, a survey found that 79% of Japanese supported a death penalty.

Too many variables to tae into account everything. Murder is not a high volume crime, unless you're a former dictator and part of his thug group in Iraq...

12. Knarf Legna

Knarf Legna I am not Gary Hoover

I'm not maintaining anything, you are the one who first mentioned Tokyo in the context of gun laws. Tokyo also has a lower crime rate across the board. And you somehow correlate that to gun laws there, and gun laws alone? They have fewer rapes, fewer robberies, etc., etc. :confused:

Why the apparent contradiction in your post? If you believe that their society being different from ours is the reason for lower crime rates, why even bring them into a discussion about gun control?

13. Knarf Legna

No, I didn't, I asked you why you thought (or, at least implied) that allowing gun ownership in Tokyo would suddenly turn law abiding citizens into murdering criminals. I never expressed my opinion.

14. WebCrush

WebCrush Banned

I think Martin Sheen once said, the point to stirring a martini is to prevent the ice from chipping and thus melting. Bond is ordering a watered down cocktail and being snooty about it. :D

15. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

Re: Re: The New James Bond Is a Wus!

I agree. He should be in Congress doing stuff like that. :D

16. Robert

Give me a break with the bullshit adjectives and exaggerations already. You asked a direct question to something that I've already pointed out I didn't say.

Why are homicide rates so much higher in the US than in Japan?

17. Knarf Legna

Obviously, because they eat more sushi and less red meat.

18. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Pure speculation, but it could be the extremely regimented, homogeneous culture in Japan. They do shame better than the Catholics or Jews.

19. Super Dave

Super Dave Exhausted and Abused

No one has an answer.

Maybe people in the US that commit homicides don't eat enough red meat too.

Maybe there's more entitlement programs in the US vs Japan that contribute.

Homicides are committed by individuals, not populations. So, go figure out why those individuals do it, and you'll have an answer rather than a load of statistics.

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Shaking bruises the gin giving it a different flavor - some snobs perfer it bruised, others prefer it unbruised. I prefer it mixed with Tonic and Lime.