1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Latest on TC in AMA SBK

Discussion in 'General' started by 2OLD2SLOW, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

When the 500s were included both here and GPs, they were always considered the premier class.

2. John LegionST

John LegionST Well-Known Member

You are comparing apples to oranges... It would take an 800cc 4t to compare to a 500cc 2t...

3. mike w

mike w Knarf's buddy

Im comparing squat
    poster inferred that bigger bikes werent the premier class in MX because they removed the 500cc scoots
    Clearly 450s are bigger than 250s and the 450s are the premier class today.
    I also dont need a lesson on 500cc mx bikes.My last year in MX before an ill fated attempt at SX was on a 465 yammy

4. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

Maybe they should nuke them on national levels and let teams go play in WSB.
    I understand the cost issue but think electronics are natural progress with big bikes. Pretty soon they will come from factory with wheelies control and all kind limiters.
    Aren't cars already there, run by electronics. Shit I have 500+hp car and can't even spin tires. 30 computers in car to control me :)

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Which class is the premier class though? The largest displacement they allow. AMA Pro doesn't allow MotoGP bikes or modifications to level of World Superbike so the bikes that are in AMA Pro SB aren't the biggest and baddest either, just the biggest and baddest in that series.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Sorry, R6?

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

If they truly believe the future of Pro Racing in the US should be smaller displacement machines then that is the only viable choice.

The thing is - if they do remove Sb and the teams all go DSB racing then the exact same issues will arise. Just changing displacement won't change the problems with regard to spending money - not without changing the rules.

8. John LegionST

Fair enough. But obviously the larger cc of two classes will be considered the premier class. When the MX 500'S were nuked, it left the 250's (today's 450's) as premier and the series still grew. I think it was being inferred that if it worked there it could be feasible for a change like that to work in road racing...

9. TWF2

My thinking is 120hp bikes don't need electronics while 220hp bikes do.
    Without electronics they go slower. What happens if dsb is as fast as sb?

10. mike w

mike w Knarf's buddy

Im thinking that it was in reference to DSB becoming premier and ASB being a support class as mentioned earlier in this thread.And as Mongo mentioned that aint gonna happen.1000s are a manufacturers target audience...recall the demise of the 750 SBK class?

11. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

[​IMG]

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

They may not need them as much but that won't stop the teams with the budget from buying them and creating the same issues.

If electronics get limited in one class it would only make sense to limit them across the board. The same reasoning for doing so applies to all of them.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

:crackup:

14. TWF2

Unless tire company say they can't be premier class for biggest race of year :D

15. mike w

mike w Knarf's buddy

true dat

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That was more the then promoter and current owner of the series.

17. John LegionST

Ahhh, I thought they meant nuking ASB all together...

Then adding LTSB (Little Tally Sportbike) on CBR/EX250s as the support class. :D

18. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

I'm betting a couple of teams are already using a good bit of traction control in DSB. I don't think it is as big a deal there but I feel there needs to be more limitations on it than just a price tag. JMO

19. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

What then would stop them from hooking them up to their computer and reflashing the unit with something different?

I understand having a "check" afterwards to see if the box was modified but that can be covered up too.

20. Hammer 4

Hammer 4 Can't Touch This

Check the top 3 finishers as soon as they get off the track..?