1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The "Chicane" at Road-A

Discussion in 'General' started by Roach, Nov 4, 2003.

1. Roach

Roach Yamaha Catapult Tester

So ... I was wondering.

How many bad crashes do we have to have at Road-A in the new super-duper chicane before the idea is declared a bad one?

I was waiting to run it before passing judgement, and I have to say that IMHO, it sucks.

Having personally watched numerous close calls and three incidents in which the crashing bike wound up back in the middle of the track with bikes dodging it (and the rider), one of which was viewed from the saddle of my own bike as I took to the grass to avoid running over the guy who highsided directly in front of me in practice .... I'd say it's not exactly the best design.

How many red flags were out this week due to the chicane? Five? Six? I lost count after a while.

- Roach

2. kamisama12

kamisama12 Well-Known Member

it wasn't to shabby ( but i never did the track without it ) so im no help really

my only complaint is about the people that hit the damn cones through there and put them on the track.

i did notice though that a lot of people wrecked there

3. mad brad

mad brad Guest

looks to be better without it.

4. Renaissance man

Renaissance man Well-Known Member

Couple of thoughts...

1) Many people crashed going into three BEFORE the new added "Chicane". Honestly, it was not the kindest turn (Going into three) as curbing/alligator strips lined the outside of the turn. If you ran wide, you basically bent a rim or ate shit...

2) This new "chicane" is a fucking joke. Everyone that I talked to in my races were pretty disgusted with every start. I mean, you knew some bozo was going to come flying up, clip someone, everyone would go for dirt, ashphalt, or both AND THEN by turn 5 you could actually start racing. Several races just said "fuck it", and jumped the curb, landed in the dirt, cut the corner and rocked on. I was not that smart :D

3) I am suprised Suzuki will want the "chicane" to stand due to the television issue. I can't remember if it was F1 sportsman OR the 1000 cup opening lap, I think 4 of us hit the dirt that I saw (I was about 10th or 11th going into T3). I am sure it looked like keystone cops... uh I mean racing... I just can't imagine that the first lap makes us look like a bunch of Evel Knievel wannabe's in that turn...:D

4) As a racer, I absolutely hate it. The layout could could suck the lug nuts off a Kenworth without a problem. I do understand the safety issue though. There may be as many crashes as before, but possibly without as much high level risk. I still believe the wall on the right is now coming into play considerably more than previously experienced (before the "chicane"). Another rider grazed that wall this weekend, BUT he got up and walked away.

I wish like hell we would use the original layout. I also realize that there is not enough logistical support to do so as well as the fact, that there is a VERY legitimate safety issue with the wall being less than 25ft from the track. I think it would take about 17-18 sections of air fence to properly line T3-T4 areas whereas (currently) it can be covered with less than 10. I also believe that we should use haybales between the tires and Air Fence to help prevent the type of injuries that Chandler and Gobert suffered in 2002 during their T3-T4 crashes which I believe lead to this Mickey Mouse layout in the first place.

Just my opinion, but trying to look at both sides of the issue.

Marcus

Last edited: Nov 4, 2003
  5. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

I hate it, I hate it, I hate it.

Solution - MOVE THE FRECKIN WALLS!!!!!

The track flowed and was so much more fun without that crap at the top of the hill... the only brake markers they had for it was a bunch of black stripes on the asphalt from everyone skidding... I wasnt comfortable thru there the entire weekend. (... and my slow ass times showed it)

6. ethridge72

ethridge72 Well-Known Member

Not only does the chicane suck, but it puts in a bad position on the track for a run down the hill. It made it harder to set up on the inside of all the braking bumps going down the hill. I believe this is why we had all the crashes in turn 4. People would run wide get into the bumps and loose the front.

7. LAR

LAR Well-Known Member

That was the best post I've seen in a while...ok, that line says it all. I can say from a spectator point of view that the chicane really ruins the flow of the races. And after listen to all of the riders there this weekend, it seems everyone is pretty disappointed with the layout. I liked the person who posted that it looked like the riders were "sand through an hour glass" going into there.

It was scary to see people crash in the entry and a bike wind up through the grass and back out on the track.

Because they have airfence, and with the disappointment of all of the riders, I'm hoping they decide to use the original configuration again.

8. jp233

jp233 hu huh, you said "member"

yeah, I am not a fan of the chicane either. Its too narrow and makes for first lap disaster. And the dirt (I mean Georgia CLAY) gets everywhere when people cut the corners etc, and bikes seem to always end up on the track there in the chicane. I think it should be yanked and a new layout designed.

although that damn chicane is damn fun to rail through on the 250, when I don't have a jillion bikes in front of me to hold me up :) but 90% of the time I curse that chicane

9. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

The start of both races I was in had people jumping the curb and going thru the dirt. In the 600 cup race, I think it was Corey Sarros that passed about 3 riders in the dirt on the left side of the chicane. I hadn't seen that all weekend but he made it thru. Don't know if any of the cw said anything but we were all warned in the riders meeting not to cut it.

10. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

Snitch

11. Paige

Paige BBS FF Champ

No major injuries in that section of the track this year as opposed to other years.

12. Trev230EX

Trev230EX Put me in coach

I agree that the chicane is hairy during the first lap and that it disrupts the flow of the track.

But it does provide one hell of a place to pass going into it.

After my races I went to watch some action by the chicane and I tell you what. I would rather crash in the chicane then be going the old way and risk hitting that wall.

13. LAR

LAR Well-Known Member

how is the guy who crashed there in the first race on Sunday? when we got up there he wasn't moving much and they were strapping him to a backboard. I hope he's ok.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I agree form a racing perspective the chicane sucks but it works beautifully in keeping you guys safer that if we ran without it.

We had less red flags in that area this year.

We had less serious injuries there this year.

Yes it kills the flow - that's what it's supposed to do. Yes it screws up heading dow the hill compared the old track - so what? Everyone had the same track to ride.

The crashes coming up the hill towards it have always happened, they are not because of the new section. Anyone else remember the bike landing on the CW station there in 3? How about Chris Ulrich breaking a bone on those rumble strips? Those crashes were on the old track.

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

No word on him - I know it weasn't extremely serious but due to the fricking new hipa laws we're screwed on getting info. Everyone else from this weekend we know has been released and will heal in time. Hopefully someone will let us know about Andrew.

16. Doublrs

Doublrs Blingracer #2

I was only at the track for a couple hours and watched some practice and one race....I didnt see a wreck but saw many peeps get a front wheel wobble coming out of the chicane......it also looked very narrow with a wall near by which is never a good thing....not the best design I have seen:down:

17. Well, from my view the chicane offered alot to the racers.

1. Smoothness was key. Everyone that crashed had upset the chassis of the bike, usually because they used the outer gator strips.

2. An awesome passing zone.

3. A real challange.

Now, the key of "flying" thru the chicane from what I saw was to go fast. Every single one of the real fast guys, approached that turn with tons of speed. They also were airborne going in from using the gator strip. Once the bike was airborne, if you upset the bike in any way, you were going down. I watched Tray Batey pass 2 guys on the first flip of the chicane. That, takes lots of skill. Notice that all the guys that crashed were novice riders. Not saying that novice riders don't know what they are doing, but the Experts had no problem making it thru the chicane with no problems. Now, one exception is #549 Novice (Race Dad's Son). He actually was faster thru the chicance than all of them. You could see it. He was also very smooth. I'd say keep the chicane. It does upset the flow of the track, but it does definetly make the racers work harder for the trophies. :D

18. LAR

LAR Well-Known Member

Thanks, Mongo. I'll keep my fingers crossed for him. :)

19. Turbo Dog

Turbo Dog Well-Known Member

The new "mickey mouse chicane" sucks, is dangerous and takes the fun out of turn three. Speeding through turn 2 and flicking into 3 then back into 4 used to be a blast.

The best solution is to push the wall away from the track and re-create the infield. Like that will ever happen. It would be nice to see AMA boycott the new configuration (just because it sucks) and request the changes regarding the wall.

20. LMcCurdy

LMcCurdy Antique

We only called cutting when a rider gained advantage, or did it repeatedly. I called one rider Thursday for cutting and gaining two places. And another for repeatedly cutting the entrance. The problem there was the dirt he kicked up and on the track. Other riders had to go through the mess he left.