1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

tell me about some of the most PIA bikes to swap wheels on

Discussion in 'General' started by jiggyfly, Mar 15, 2012.

1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Well-Known Member

Working on some motorcycles today, & remembering some bikes I've had, or worked on that the wheels were just a complete pain in the fucking ass to remove & replace. Tight spacers, brake pads, odd angles, etc.......

What bikes come to mind for you?

2. JJJerry

JJJerry Well-Known Member

Goldwing comes to mind.

3. HPPT

HPPT !!!

RC51. Some days, it took 30 seconds. Some days, it took 30 min. Things are getting a little foggy by now, but I'm almost positive it was the real wheel. Front wheel was fine.

The only motorcycle that frustrated me more than that was in stock. PM wheels on a FUSA-spec CBR900. The front wheel spacer would just drop inside the hub and the axle couldn't slide in. Some days, I cried a little bit.

4. JeffroJ

JeffroJ 3 Ninjas and a Mexican

Front wheel on the Buell XBs. The ZTL rotor is cool and all, but a bit of a PITA if you are trying not to nick up the wheels against the caliper.

5. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

whats the bimota that has the swingarm front end?Tesi?
    my elite 250 has to drop the muffler every time I want a new rear tire.
    Any drum brake rear cruiser...ugh! :(

6. jon686

jon686 Well-Known Member

So I'm not the only one who thinks the 51 is a pain. Like he said, sometimes it just goes, but most times it takes like 3 tries.

7. TrackStar

TrackStar www.trackstar1.com

The Hondas arent hard but they are generally a bigger PITA than every other sportbike.

Come hang out in the shop in April when all of the Goldwings, VTX1300's, Vulcans and Boulevards come in for tires. Thats when I really hate motorcycles.

8. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

That damn top mounted rear caliper. Always a pain in the ass.

9. Any motorcycle with a shaft drive. :down:

10. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

The carburetor on my CRF-250x.

11. backbone

backbone scarred for life

I can't think of which shaft drive bike right now, but there is one of them that we have to remove the whole shaft and rearend from the motor. Along w/ the damn exhaust pipe.

12. HPPT

HPPT !!!

What does it have to do with swapping wheels? :confused:

13. backbone

backbone scarred for life

Have to get to the wheels somehow. :)

14. vonstallin

vonstallin Я - Ребенок Люциферов

Rear wheels on most of the Kawasaki 1000's and 600's...took me a while to learn the trick of only using spools that are sorta wide because you need to pry the swingarm apart because it seems to be 1mm to tight. I also use a Dyke on the brake side to hold it all in place and push the axle in from the sprocket side.

15. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I'm sure if you try to take the wheels off using the carburator it's quite frustrating.

16. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

Nah, I was just bitching about that damn carb. You do need to remove the rear subframe and suspension to get to it. I frequently remove the rear wheel at that time and it just reminded me.

17. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Maybe a majority but I can pull the rear wheel on my vtx 1800 in about 3 minutes.

18. ACDNate

ACDNate Well-Known Member

The rear on the shaft drive GL1800 is super easy. Single sided swingarm. Front is a bit of a pita though with all the plastic...

19. grantcarruthers

grantcarruthers Well-Known Member

2008 ZX10
    Just about needed to use cargo straps to spread the swing arm 10mm to get the wheel and spacers in.

20. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Yamaha 1100 V-Star. The first time I had one come in the shop for a back tire I started on it and started saying to myself " they didn't do that did they ? " Yes they did ! :eek: Same bike you have to take the exhaust off to get to the oil filter :wow: Great enginering there Yamaha. 2 hr. oil change. :down: