Team Pro-Motion: any good?

Discussion in 'Track Days' started by Crackhead, Oct 9, 2007.

1. Crackhead

Crackhead Expert

They rarely get mentioned here. And I have heard unflattering stories about the owners. What's the scoop? Are they a good place to spend my money?

2. davetlr

davetlr Well-Known Member

No but it gets you on the track.

i am sure you will get many different opinions on this one!!

:Pop:

3. Smooth RR

Smooth RR Member

I just got back from TPM at Pocono, I've also done a TD with them at Loudon - I'd go back again to them - Glenn also takes people out for free for two up rides and provides gear! My Mom came by to see and she ended up riding the track on the back of his bike for a session!!!

As far as safety goes, I had some concerns from the first time i ran with them up in Loudon... however they had definitely tightened up their act. (Maybe due to previous experience with people getting hurt)

Definitely try em out - they run a decent day

4. gpstar748

gpstar748 Well-Known Member

i thought this section was about NESBA?

haha, jk

I have only done one day with them however I found they are pricier with everythig than NESBA and STT and dont offer the same member perks as the previously mentioned.............must be usin all that money to pay for that huge SEMI truck but I really have no clue

NESBA and STT def. offer more to their members by far and for a better price.....IMO

5. 771Doug

771Doug V6HW #686

I've been doing trackdays with TPM for 2 seasons (VIR and Summit). I'm more than satisfied and will ride with them next year. I will admit that I've never ridden with the others, so I couldn't give you a comparison.

6. Not entirely true... the prices vary from track to track, but all three organizations are usually within 5 or 10 dollars of each other.

TPM runs a solid track day, as do NESBA and STT.

7. gpstar748

gpstar748 Well-Known Member

yea, what i meant by that is they dont include all the perks that NESBA or STT do but charge extra for them such as that insurance thing and what not, unless there policies have changed since I rode with them

i dont really have anything to say about the quality of the day, it was good when I did it that one time but I only ever rode with them once so I cant really give an opinion in that sense

8. bhinds382

bhinds382 Well-Known Member

I've ridden with TPM and others renting tracktime in the southeast since 2002. Since 2002, the quality of their management of on-track riders has continued to deteriorate. Specifically, they pack the track day - I've been at VIR south with as many as 50 riders in a session (which may have included a plethora of "control riders"). At two different track days, I saw near mutiny by consensus of the intermediate group riders because of the unwillingness of TPM to tell poorly skilled riders, e.g., an apparent first timer in textile gear riding a 650cc V-strom with saddle bag mounts, that they don't belong on a track - and certainly not in the INTERMEDIATE group. You'll find better value, track management, and rider support with NESBA and SBTT.

9. mikendzel

mikendzel Anonymous

I rode with TPM at Summit Main on 8/20 and I had a great time. There were a bunch more people than the NESBA day I attended 2 weeks prior, and the Beginner group (yeah beginner, I hadn't been on a track in 6 years, and even then I wasn't on it much back then either) was slower....
    However, my experience with the instructors/control riders was WAAAAAY better. A guy named Dave, he had Dr. Dave on his bike I think, basically took me under his wing for the last 2 sessions in the morning and the entire afternoon. I did the race school while I was there to get my license, and right before the race, he came to give me some last minute advice. I was 1 of 2 people in the school so they sent us out at the back of their GP Moto race, and Dave told me not to try and race with the other guys, just ride my own pace and to remember my body position, etc.... That guy made me want to go to another TPM day.

*** Dr Dave, if you read this board, I've tried to send you thank you emails, but I haven't gotten a response from Glenn as to whether they were forwarded or not.

My experience with NESBA control riders was the first one made it well known that I was interrupting their conversation about food, and was unhelpful. The other CR in the conversation tried to help me out a little bit, but was then spoken over by the first dude. I'm not mentioning names, but the first dude needs to understand customer service and respect because I wasn't shown any from him. I'm going to do another NESBA day, and I am going to mention his conduct to him because I feel much more comfortable at the track having raced a bit.

10. Biggboi

Biggboi wera novice #446

tpm

i have ridden with promotion,stt,nesba the best is stt next tpm and nesba last i went to mid ohio this year for the first time with stt registration went smooth they give you a coupon for free lunch they provide gatorade and donuts for energy through out the day they sell parts there on site rearsets,boots,suits,helmets tires but the only brand they sell is michelin which i dont run they had shadow video there and pictures there and they also had a ohlins tech there too the instructors were real cool and easy to work with i like the fact that you can choose which group you want to ride in instead of having to start in begginer

next is promotion i have been riding with them for the longest they are pricey and the insurance rules i kinda dont like it cost 25.00 for insurance but you only get 100.00 bucks credit if you use it thats not fair if your trackday costs 175.00 200.00 with the insurance you only get back 100.00 thats not good value they have a service truck for tire changes they sell more than one brand of tires which is cool i know mostly all the instructors most of them are cool i know glen too he's cool but some of the instructors are dickheads and some of them are not that fast at all i kinda think it's a click thing for most of the instructors they get to do that job i will give an example my buddy was riding in the red group which is intermediate he made a last second inside pass on another rider it was by mistake not on purpose i was watching the whole session and saw what happened anyway he made the rider stand up and she went off the track and fell after that happened an instructor chased him down for the rest of the session trying to get his attention but could not keep up when the session was over he came over and started yelling at my buddy like he was a little kid it was a accident one of those times when you thought the rider was gonna zig and they zagged the instructor is ther to help some of them think because they are instructors they are real cops or something like they cant get there ass kicked we pay our money to ride nobodys out ther to hurt someone or get hurt themselves it's painful and exspensive so with that said they dont have the right to talk down to anybody at all under any circumstance

next is nesba i dont like them at all they give you such a hard time bumping up my first trackday was with nesba they have too many rules you cant pass in turns only on straights you cant pass instructors unless they wave you by which is bullshit i did a trackday with them this year at roebling road it was a good price i have been on the track for 4 years at promotion i am a expert so for me when i go to any other orginazation i want to ride in expert not with nesba since i was only a novice with nesba when i started when i rode with them at roebling i was a novice again they did not care that i was a expert anywhere else or that i have my wera license not trying to say that i am stoner but i do ok anyway i had to damn near fight with the instructors just to to get bumped to intermediate i got bumped but i had to beg to get it riding with them is like having a bad tooth ache there insurance is good and they have good parts truck but the instructors dont give two shits about a rider that should be in a diifferent group anyway thats my two cents i guess you have to choose for your self

also membership prices are as follows 135.00 for a gold membership for promotion 35.00 for a stt membership and 75.00 for a nesba membership

11. kiggy74

kiggy74 As useful as an...

I've ridden STT and TPM. TPM provides the same basic experience as them all, but you'll find a little more structure in how they manage riding groups as well as passing rules. In some cases I've found that they harp on passing rules in rider's meetings, but then when the session starts the control riders completely toss their own rules out the window, which means everyone else does too.

I will say that in general most TPM control riders are a lot more proactive in offering advice or assistance. It's not uncommon to have one come up to you after a session and give you advice, or grab you during a session for a tow around the racing line. STT control riders are there to help, but you either have to be doing something really wrong or you have to ask them for assistance.

12. NuttZ

NuttZ Well-Known Member

TPM

I've rode with TPM and nesba...and I pick TPM over nesba. Like said above, there are some things that suck about TPM...but its worth the few extra bucks to ride. When I rode with nesba...I felt like I was a burden to the control riders...short answers, and didn't give much feed back when I finally got a CR to go out for a session. Nesba to me didn’t give the friendly atmosphere like TPM did.

13. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

I've ridden extensively with all three clubs (and even the old Reduc). I stopped riding with TPM a couple of years ago when they consistently started to overload trackdays. 60 people on Summit Main in one group is way too many for a track day.

I've also been told by friends/current TPM members that TPM has split the occasional trackday into four groups, i.e. less then 15 minutes of track time per hour per group (including staging and exiting). If that is true, I would be very disappointed for my money.

NESBA and STT have been much better values, and each has their own individual strengths, although rumor is Chuck Norris rides with NESBA so they get the nod.

I just wish NESBA didn't suck so much - I'll have to keep riding with them until they finally stop sucking.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2007
  14. BiZ

BiZ a matter of weight ratios

I don't do alot of track days anymore, but I used to ride with TPM alot, (did some coaching with them), and I've done a few STT and maybe one or two NESBA and REDUC days. If your an advanced/expert group rider, I'd say it doesn't matter who you ride with, your advanced.

Maybe once a year does TPM do 4 groups, and that's normally just the first track day of the year at VIR before the WERA round. And it's advertised before hand, with a specific group just for racers. So whining is not authorized.

If you ride in the intermediate groups, and you know what your doing, I would say go with TPM or STT. I'm by no means an expert on NESBA, nor have I rode with them in the last few years. But from my understanding, NESBA makes you play follow the leader with the control riders. It's possible you can have alot of laps ruined while you wait for the CR's to look over there shoulder to wave you past. Especially if your stuck in a pack. TPM doesn't do this and I'm pretty sure STT doesn't either. But with STT and TPM you'll probably have a few more instances of rules violations in the lower two groups, as you have quite a mix of talent levels with less regulation. Not usually a problem, but something you need to be aware of.

If you can get into NESBA's advanced group, or any other clubs advanced group for that matter, then that's not a problem. But I hear it's pretty tough to progress into the A group with NESBA. I do believe, though, that if your a licensed expert racer, NESBA will allow you to go right to the A group. Confirm that with some of the nesbanites though, or check their website.

I don't believe TPM is packing 60 people into a session anymore. I'm pretty sure that stopped a few years ago. Last few track days I did with them at Summit have been ghost towns really. TPM tends to compete with themselves alot, with track days at two different tracks at the same time. So that tends to keep the numbers down a bit.

Anyways, I have alot of friends who ride with all 3 clubs, far more then I do with any of them. All of them love there club and think it's the best, so I would say there's something for everyone. I would recommend not judging any of the org's on your first event with them, because sometimes shit happens and rarely is it intentional or malicious.

15. LiveHardOne

LiveHardOne Well-Known Member

Yes NESBA sucks. How dare they classify riders based on riding ability and skill level?

It is much better when I just get to pick for myself as to which group I get to ride in. That way I am not bothered by those pesky NESBA people by showing them first hand, on the track how great of a rider I really am. It is very clear to me that I am the fastest, bestest rider out there but yet they do not put me in expert group. I am advanced because I say I am.

16. davetlr

davetlr Well-Known Member

I think you suck!!

j/k....:beer:

17. rugbymook

rugbymook Under Construction

That was quite possibly the hardest thing i tried to read in a while.

18. Dutch

Dutch Token white guy

Expert race license = go directly to Advanced with NESBA. The rest of it I didn't read since I am busy with my buffalo grilled chicken sandwich and homemade chocolate chip cookies.

19. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Dutch sucks.

20. Mio

Mio Active Member

:wow: My eyes hurt! Did you type this on a Crackberry? :D

I've done about 14 days with TPM and 6 days with NESBA since last year and they both seem to be well run for the most part. There are things on both organizations that could be improved and some days are better than others. I would not judge either by going to just one day. The overall quality of riders seems to be a little higher in NESBA than TPM. Each group also spells out there rules and if you don't like them or do not want to adhere by them, then please look elsewhere. Their track day, their rules, we abide by them and have a freaking great time!