teacher accidently shoots themself in shcool

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by sbhockey, Sep 11, 2014.

1. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

I'll acknowledge that many compact handguns lack traditional (often redundant) safeties, but the trigger pull is usually long and heavy to compensate for such things.

negligent discharge is always a possibility with any firearm, and one shouldn't rely on the safety to prevent a ND.

It sucks that this woman inadvertently shot herself, but I'm not so alarmed by this. She wasn't being irresponsible (at least it doesn't sound like it) and she was the only person hurt. If this scenario had played out in a classroom, it would have been the same result. She's only putting herself at risk. I don't like that children would have had to witness her shooting herself, but I also don't feel they would be in unnecessary danger.

2. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

"the average pistol or revolver" isn't a carry firearm that is designed to be drawn and fired in an emergency situation.

As my prior post indicated, most compact carry firearms do not have a traditional safety.

Leaving the chamber empty would cost you valuable time in an emergency. I don't know anyone who carries a firearm, but doesn't keep a round chambered. on a revolver, there is no process to 'chamber' a round, unless you leave one of the cylinders in the revolver empty. In that case, you would have to pull the trigger and "dry fire" before a bullet rotated into firing position.

The hammer, as you are describing it, is as you understand on some revolvers, but especially on carry weapons, hammers are often smoothed or internalized to avoid hanging up on clothing when you're attempting to draw.

actually having to cock the hammer on a revolver is only necessary on a single-action revolver. I can't think of any carry revolvers that are not double-action. That just means that pulling the trigger cocks the hammer, then releases it all with one trigger-pull. Again, as noted prior, this makes the trigger pull longer, and is inherently safeR than a semiautomatic pistol without a safety.

(disclaimer, I'm no firearms expert, but having fired examples of all the handguns described, this is the best I can explain it. I would like to think my explanation is lacking more than my understanding, so feel free to chime in with clarifications)

Last edited: Sep 12, 2014
  3. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

You've explained it all fairly well. I would add that with a hammerless revolver the only way that it can be fired is by pulling the trigger. A revolver with a hammer spur used to be able to go off if it fell onto the floor striking the hammer however, unless someone is using one of the early revolvers without the required transfer bar in the action an accidental firing is pretty much impossible.

This woman accidentally shooting herself has to have been a screw up on her part due to lack of knowing how to handle the firearm. If it were a semi-auto (double action only) it might be one of the type like a Glock where there is no safety except for the trigger press safety. If you put your finger through the trigger guard then it can be fired without much difficulty since it does not have a long trigger travel like a revolver. (Even though I have a couple of Glocks I never did like the concept of the trigger press safety) Some pistols, like the Sig 938 ect., can be carried cocked and locked even though they do not have a grip safety like the old Colt 1911 pistols did. I don't even trust the Sig being carried that way. Without the grip safety the lever safety is all that keeps it really safe.

Carrying a sidearm of any kind will always have an element of danger attached unless one has been dealing with that exact firearm for a long time. You have to know it like you do the back of your hand. Everything to do with a weapon has to be burned into your subconscious.

4. sbhockey

sbhockey Orange shirt #157

Exactly. No way are you accidentally pulling the trigger on my LCP.

5. Dutch

Dutch Token white guy

Unfortunately none of the grun grabbers who oppose arming teachers in the classroom will care to understand all the nuances of carrying a firearm safely that are being discussed in this thread. Instead they will seize the opportunity and use this as an example of how arming teachers is dangerous to the children. After all, its all for the children....

6. The Great One

The Great One Well-Known Member

I would love to know how she had the weapon secured

7. sbhockey

Same here, but we will probably never get a clear answer on that.

8. The Great One

The Great One Well-Known Member

We both probably already know the answer though. If it was secured properly, it would have never become a news story.

9. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Yep.

In her defense a man can conceal a pistol more easily than a woman just based on how they dress.

10. sbhockey

This is true. Unless it was one of those little NAA .22 mags and she had it hidden in her cleavage :D

11. R Acree

R Acree Banned

They do have one more internal hiding option.

12. turboderek

turboderek Well-Known Member

As a grub grabber I think this is the perfect example of why people like myself have an issue with guns in the classroom. It seems this teacher also does not "care to understand all the nuances of carrying a firearm safely that are being discussed in this thread". To add a bit of trolling/hyperbole I don't care how well you are trained I don't want teachers carrying grandees into classrooms either.

13. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

More kids are harmed every day by the "teachings" of the over emotional no common sense hard left whackos that seem quite prevalent in our education system than will ever be hurt by guns in the classroom. Perhaps more training is in order before a teacher should be allowed to carry in class but we have seen how effective "gun free" zones are.

14. turboderek

We are not talking about educational curriculum. We are talking about teachers carrying guns in the classroom.

15. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

I didn't see where any kids got hurt.

16. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

I will connect the dots for you. I was expanding the discussion to cover a broader scope and discuss what is more harmful to the children. Its all about the children, right? A poor education harms more people than guns ever will. Then I also pointed out how ineffective a gun free zone was. So what was your point again?

17. turboderek

The topic is "teacher accidently shoots themself in school". Go to the bush/hitler thread if you want to talk about educational curriculum. You randomly tacked on gun free zones in a situation where that's not being discussed. We're talking about how does this happen and how can it be prevented.

Back on subject. If there are going to be guns in classroom are there specific types of guns or holsters that reduce the chance of accidental discharge while still allowing the user to use the gun effectively?

18. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

So when you said "As a gun grabber I think this is the perfect example of why people like myself have an issue with guns in the classroom." you meant something different? If guns are not allowed in a classroom then it is a gun free zone, isn't it? Typical emotional argument with little to no logic. Good job.:up:

19. turboderek

You can have and many schools do have armed police on campus.

20. Chango

Chango Something clever!

As long as the teachers aren't taking a dump in the classroom there really shouldn't be a problem. When I carry I put it in the holster in the morning and don't touch it all day, unless I am dropping my pants for something. There's no way for me to sit just right and have my fat rolls squeeze the trigger and make the gun go off. Any halfway decent holster completely covers the trigger guard, especially on a concealed carry holster.