Talladega Update! (video/pics)

Discussion in 'General' started by wmayfield114, Nov 5, 2006.

1. wmayfield114

wmayfield114 Well-Known Member

Big THANKS!! to Mike Upchurch for letting me do a slow lap today of the not-yet-paved Talladega Grand Prix Raceway. Video sucks, I was holding a small Sony digital. I only went clockwise starting in the circle; the sweeper is tighter with pit-in right there on your right. You can see crossing the old CCW T1/T2 after pit out. The transition onto the old circle will be wild! Click on the 3X video for a more normal view of a lap. The track will be an infield pit like Roebling.

Mike said the on/off rain has made the work slow, but they are still on schedule for February.

(anybody that’s more web-savvy please post these pics/videos in a more convenient place/format, TIA)

http://www.baxleycompanies.com/Talladega.html

2. Ryan Nelson

Ryan Nelson Well-Known Member

Awesome - thanks for the info!

3. Fuzzy317

Fuzzy317 a Crash Truck near you

Did you crash while taking the video? are you okay? did you hurt the track? :up:

4. wmayfield114

It was scary because that's faster than I usually go, but I'm freakin' STOKED!!!:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

Gonna be a fun track!:rock:

5. jkhonea

jkhonea Back Again

Man that layout looks kick ass!!! Can't wait to ride it! Thanks for the vid.

6. Lawdog78

Lawdog78 Well-Known Member

Any info on the restrooms?? Have they added additional stalls/ a trough, etc..? Conecession stand??

7. Fassina4

Fassina4 needing some sleep

Video is great! thanks for showing it to me today and for the help with the R6!
    I cant wait till this track is completed.....just hope they smooth out the transition from the old track to the new track.

8. qwck10th

qwck10th Member

I LIKE it ! :)

Seems longer :D

s

9. thatkidchris

thatkidchris Well-Known Member

I though they were suposed to be done by January. On their website they have the grand opening and an Bargy track day for the weekend of January 6-8

10. wmayfield114

JU would be disappointed in me. Let me rephrase: Mr. Upchurch was confident that the track expansion would be completed according to schedule.

:beer:

11. Fuzzy317

The plan was same length, not sure how length actually turned out.

12. Fuzzy317

Those may not be ready "day 1", but they are planned.

13. wmayfield114

you must be a vintage racer.....:Poke:

14. Fuzzy317

even the fairly new bathrooms on the hill above Road Atlanta's "Pro Paddock" has a trough :Puke:

;)

15. fbr

fbr Well-Known Member

tally

Man the new configuration of talladega looks awesome!!! That front straight seems like it will be faster than the old scheme. Thanks for making the video.:beer:

16. atspeed

atspeed Praying Member

Chip Mayfield holds the unofficial, but verified, track record at the new TGPR 3:52-3:53 or thereabouts:) :bow:

Thanks for the vid

17. All-Supply619

All-Supply619 Check out my ebay store!

Talladega

Are they not going to resurface it all to make it consistant or are we going to have half old half new?

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'd guess for now half and half due to the cost but I'm not sure.

19. Yup I seen the track from the air a couple of weeks ago while flying from Atl to Jackson,Ms. My mouth was watering.

20. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I walked it on Saturday morning while I was out that way to deliver some parts I sold. Not going to be as much fun as the old design. Took out the second carousel and made another long straight. Looks like they are planning on some portion of the pits being in the infield. Unless they do some more work to it the trasition from old to new in the old turn 2 area will have a big nasty bump in it.