1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tacoma owners: school me

Discussion in 'General' started by NemesisR6, Aug 19, 2022.

1. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

One thing to consider when buying vehicles from here on out is parts issues. anything produced in Asia is going to be hard to come by in the very near future. Global supply chains are collapsing with the rising tensions between nations. I’d be looking at buying as American as possible right now. vehicles with parts manufactured in Mexico for instance might be a good option. The GMC Sierra is assembled in Mexico.

2. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

edit: oh shit the Tacoma is in there hahaha

Among the trucks produced in the us.

1. Ford Ranger
    2. Chevrolet Colorado (gas model)
    3. GMC Canyon (gas model)
    4. Honda Ridgeline
    5. Ford F-150
    6. GMC Sierra
    7. Chevrolet Silverado
    8. Toyota Tundra
    9. Toyota Tacoma
    10. Chevrolet Colorado and Canyon (diesel)

3. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Jeep Gladiator is (or at least was when I was shopping) the most capable from a hauling and towing perspective of any midsize. It gets ass gas mileage, but it's also the only convertible midsize.

I've had mine since May '19 and it's been flawless. Hauls multiple bikes with ease, and has been overloaded with >2K of weight in the bed and it did fine.

Attached Files:

4. flygirl

flygirl Well-Known Member

Love my Tacoma x runner she’s old and needs a paint job but runs like a champ . Fun little stick shift . Do they still make them?

5. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

When I was shopping for a truck last year, I did say king test drives off a Tacoma TRD Pro, TRD Off Road, Ranger Tremor, and Chevy ZR2.
    The Tacoma felt gutless, cheap, and overall a huge disappointment. I really wanted to like the Tacoma, but I was really let down. The Pro was an auto, the OR a 6MT. The seats were on the floor, very uncomfortable. Some guys raise them, but you lose headroom. Lots of things, in addition to the rear drum brakes, just made it feel cheap. The Tacoma of today (current Gen, 2016-now), is the lowest rated Gen Tacoma to date. IMHO, Toyota is riding the coattails of their past reliability and selling a perceived reliability.

The Ranger Tremor was a lot nicer, better interior, a lot more “oomph” from the seat dyno due to the turbo 4. The rear seat back only folded forward several degrees, it didn’t lay flat. The seats were light years ahead of the Tacoma. A few other small things made it a no go for me.

Then I drove the ZR2. The seats are very comfortable, I love the layout of the interior, I like the capability of the front and rear lockers, you can lock the rear in 2WD if you want to play, it has an AWD setting too. To me, the ZR2 just felt right. I have several friends with various year ZR2s and all have been great to them. I’m at a little over a year and love mine.

6. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

the nice thing is all the trims come with a V6 8sp auto... you could get a quad cab 4x4 w/ 8' bed for 33ish. Start adding knicknacks & it will be at 39ish. The Pro4x will be near 50k and you cant get a tow hitch because if the collision avoidance/backing camera system. So stupid.

7. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Can we hear more about the Frontier?
    I've crossed the Tacoma, Ridgeline and Gladiator off my list and have yet to consider the Ranger, Colorado or Canyon.

8. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

The new 2023 ZR2 looks to be an absolute beast!

9. GarrettRick

GarrettRick Well-Known Member

I did a Cobb tune on mine with set parameters for Every “drive” mode . It helped a lot , I end up just driving mine in sport mode all the time though anyways

also , make sure you have the latest flash update from ford , maybe a decent starting spot

Gino230 likes this.
  10. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Last year I was looking for a "beater" mid sized. A local dealer had a used 2017 Pro4x with a V6, 6sp, & 4x4 plus all the farkles for that trim with ~60,000 miles. Asking price was $38,000. Yes it was absurd... somebody actually paid that plus another $3k in sales tax...
    I went to test drive it & was pretty peppy but also low rpm smooth on the highway. So of course I looked around for a few months then went on Nissans site to build a new model.
    Just looked again... 8' bed now not available.
    Oh & you have to buy the $1000 technology package to get cruise. Its a 9sp auto as well.

11. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

They make amazingly good time between Logan and my hometown when driven properly. :D

12. fastfreddie

I was on Nissan's site yesterday to build an S or SV King Cab 4x4. Basic Cruise was an available separate option. The one thing that bummed me out were the "packages". If I wanted the Convenience Package, I had to also get the Tech Package. Nope. Fortunately, I was able to get most of the Convenience features I wanted separately.

Good to hear it's not a dog.
    How would you rate ride and interior comfort?

13. six6two

six6two AWD

Regear with 5.29’s and enjoy it.. the ECU hacking is only an attempt to prevent the software controlling your trans from “stuttering”… but it’s all caused by the terrible stock gearing.

14. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

The Tacoma quest has ended for now. Ended up with a super low mileage Camry for insanely low cost from my longtime Yota dealer. It’s one of those elderly people/low mileage deals, and pristine. Fuck I wanted another Taco……..

six6two likes this.
  15. brex

brex Well-Known Member

You got a lowered one is all.

six6two, sharkattack and britx303 like this.
  16. fastfreddie

HA! I ditched a new Ridgeline purchase for a new Mazda 3 Turbo hatch.
    It's Yzass's and she appropriately named it Gigi...or GG - grocery getter. :D

six6two likes this.
  17. britx303

Now that you mention it, it did feel like I was driving a 1st/2nd gen 2wd Tacoma :D

six6two and brex like this.
  18. britx303

Never heard of cars.com:oops: Now my wife is showing
    me a ton of the older Tacos I love and there’s some good looking examples of final years of the 22re’s:(:eek::p:D Dammit…….

19. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

I had been up all night after a flight to Beantown and driving to my parents’ place, and having to drive BACK to Logan because I fucked up and grabbed someone else’s luggage instead of the kids’…

So at 34 hours of awakeness, all my faculties were being used to navigate traffic. For all I know, I was sitting on a milk crate with a pillow on it. :D

It was a 2WD rental pickup. If there was any shoulder tread left when I returned it, I didn’t have as much fun as I should have. :D

20. fastfreddie

It must not have been bad. With that level of sleep deprivation, something kept you awake. Musta been the donuts. :D

Best I can compare that to is 19 hours in a C6 and 21 hours in an '84 diesel Blazer. The 'Vette wasn't bad but glad to have finished the trip. The Blazer sucked, only because I had to keep my foot awake - no cruise control, and glare from headlights to the rear - no power mirrors.
    Everyday riding in either is/was fine.