Syria

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by CausticYarn, Apr 9, 2018.

1. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

I hadn't seen either of those pieces of information this time around but I will do little more reading. I had read it was a chlorine gas attack, not Sarin, and in suspect there are a lot of groups with access to it.

I 100% agree that Assad doesn't do it without authorization from his sponsors.

kangasj likes this.
  2. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

I haven't been able to find any news indicating what type of chemical was used in this recent attach, but the reports of symptoms do appear to be different than the previous one last year ( which was confirmed to be a Sarin gas like substance). The information is still super sketchy.

It is tragic no matter how you slice it.

3. R Acree

R Acree Banned

need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be,need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be,need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be,need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be, need to be,

badmoon692008 likes this.
  4. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

I would say that the technology needed to do that, is certainly there. It's just a matter of how big of a set of balls the boss has to actually carry it out....of course without looking totally obvious and being able to justify it on the world stage. In my opinion our current POTUS has the least fear of being concerned what others think. Probably good in some ways and bad in other ways.

5. CausticYarn

CausticYarn I’m just here for the food.

Master Darren rebooted my processor and my programming hasn't collected enough data to form a solid conclusion on this issue...Early monitoring says this section of the forum is fairly far right and I need to tread lightly with dissenting views...disagreeing with war seems to be a dissenting view point here most of the time...Here is my overview with as much opinion removed as possible:

It's a civil war that started peacefully between the severely poor and unemployed people of Syria and the government. The more the government forces tried to oppress and stamp out the anti-government group, the more the movement spread. The fighting has now spread to several groups of people that ultimately either support the government, or don't. There is also underlying religious tension between the Sunni (majority) and Shia sects (Assad). The US, France, and the UK are supporting rebel forces. Saudi Arabia is also reportedly arming rebel forces. Russia, Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan, and Yemmen are supporting Assad. This divide heightens the tension between the "western world" and the middle East as there is a growing alliance with Russia arming middle eastern countries and strengthening their capabilities to be a threat.

Both sides of this war have committed atrocities and have been unwilling to negotiate. The UN has set up several rounds of peace talks, but Assad refuses until the dissent is crushed and the rebels refuse peace until Assad steps down. Russia has set up parallel political processes to circumvent the UN peace talks - which doesn't help much. Assad has Putin in his ear and arming his troops. Mother Russia is trying to become great again.

There are not enough reports getting out of the area to come to a conclusion - all we have are a few witnesses stating that there were war planes that dropped the bomb which resulted in a yellow plume of chemicals erupting from the building that the bomb hit. The other side says Russian forces bombed a rebel hold that contained chemical weapons.
    Do the rebels have war planes? Would the rebels bomb themselves? Those two questions I can't answer. What I can say, is that there doesn't look like there will be a close to this conflict very soon. No one is willing to negotiate. There isn't much we can do either. I just get to be fucking irate at the sight of dead children on the front page from time to time and lament about how there is nothing I can do to stop it.

As a small asside: Israel is so worried about Iranian weapons getting into Syria that it has been trying to thwart shipments and prevent Iran from ramping up military infrastructure. There is now a "shadow war" going on between them. So not only do we have to concern ourselves with the rebels we are protecting, but we have to protect Israel. The "Axis of Resistance" is getting stronger and is using the Syrian war and the ISIS/Al-Queda forces as an excuse to increase their military strength.

Fun times. War is never simple, it's always multi-faceted.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
    jksoft and Chino52405 like this.
  6. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

And it never, ever ends.

7. CausticYarn

No, war is a good business. It always has been - the bounty hasn't changed much either. Empire expansion, riches, and power.

8. Fonda Dix

The canceling of Trump's travel plans is a pretty ominous sign that he has folded to the deep state and will begin sacrificing our sons and daughters to the ever present military industrial complex soon.

9. CausticYarn

He made a statement yesterday that essentially said this wouldn't be going unpunished.

10. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Unfortunately, I have to agree. If he ramps up the war in Syria, he will have gone back on every promise he made that I considered a positive.
    National Guard troops on the border are just another TSA, a show to make it look like something is being done.
    He gave up the wall, he funded Planned Parenthood, he gave the Dems everything they wanted and more just to beef-up the military machine (because almost all the money is for equipment, not people) and it looks like he's up for increasing the war effort.
    Schumer ate his lunch with a massive spending bill and now the hawks are going to drag us into yet one more sandy Viet Nam.
    He has been nicely reigned-in by the professionals.

11. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

This reads as though you expected him to actually be a Republican. We all knew the wall would never come to be.

12. Fonda Dix

Not every American is as intuitive, smart, or clairvoyant as you.

13. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

This is absolutely true. :D

In all seriousness - Trump was long associated with a number of Democrats and was never shy to share his views. Before he was elected, many suspected that he was actually trolling the Republican party to get elected, then jump hard left. He didn't exactly do that, but I'm not surprised to see that he's done some things inconsistent with being a hardline Republican.

14. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

Israel answered that question. They started bombing Syrian air bases.

15. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

russia apparently said they may attack the source of US missiles aka attack the navy ships. If they actually do that then it could get ugly or would we just take it to avoid a real big war.

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

If Russia truly said that it's BS, they'd never escalate like that.

17. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

This is the exact quote:
    Just hot air if you ask me. They might try to shoot down any missiles, but no way are they going attack a US Navy ship or aircraft directly.

18. In Your Corner

The people we would be bombing are there legitimately, we are not. They would be well within their rights to return fire.
    And if they did, what would we do? Attack Russia over the loss of a ship or two?
    That would be insanity.

kangasj likes this.
  19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

No, insanity is a post like yours :crackup:

20. In Your Corner

As usual, an insult but no reply. You're so predictable. Nothing intelligent to say.