Swat Team Brutality

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Dieselboy, May 6, 2010.

1. todzuki

todzuki got OBS?

How could anyone be at risk with highly trained tactical responders firing into walls, missing dogs that are in their kennels?

I'm sure there was nothing on the other side of the walls. A void. Good thing the dogs weren't in bed with the kid or the adults. But then it would be, "that's what you get for allegedly having large amounts of drugs in the house, as reported by another scumbag looking for a deal."

I like cops about as much as the next guy, but crashing into a house in the wee hours because some guy police have in custody gave your name up a week and a half prior, shooting family pets, traumatizing family members makes you wrong. I have known some good guys whose 9 to 5 was policeman. These are friends. Unfortunately, the majority fit a negative stereotype to the T, in my experience anyway.

They should have a very limited window for busting down walls in the night to serve search warrants. If it's urgent enough for an armed home invasion, time should be an issue, not a sidenote.

But I wasn't there. And I love my dogs. Interesting discussion!

2. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

One would think is he loved his wife,kids and dogs, that he would not subject them to his usage or the criminal element that comes with dealing. This would also alleviate the chance of getting hit with either a stray bullet or direct shot when the local LEO, with a collective I.Q. of 60, comes busting in at 2 A.M.

3. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Indeed.

4. codzilla

codzilla Well-Known Member

While I agree with you that no judge would sign a SW with out some good PC. Your guestimation about SW producing evidence is disturbing and shows a lack of police work, if I were approving their budget these inefficient raids would get cut real quick. No late night OT raids that are only 50% effective.

And as far as serving it at night, well you say they have no way of knowing movements indoors. Exactly why you should ambush with eyes on the suspect not kick his door in with the suspect possibly laying in wait or running to arm himself like most would with a loud commotion late at night. And if you don't know his "history" why are you using maximum force to begin with? That kid is going to grow up with a poor view of LE, Hearts and Minds isn't just for insurgents anymore.

This just sucks for all involed and the po po just made it worse IMHO.

5. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Ahh but you forget he is not a genius either or he would not be continuing his activities. Reality is that all but a tiny percentage of criminals could make far more with less effort at a j o b

If I am waking to the sound of beating on the door then splintering I am attempting to fit the clip in the gun (had I not lost it in the boating accident). Shoot the Sca and I recommend you shoot me also to avoid payback. :beer:

6. Matt399

Matt399 Well-Known Member

There was no way a shot fired at the dogs in the living room was gonna fly down the hall and make a 90 degree turn through the bedroom wall. Whether SWAT should've even been there is debatable, but not taking out a threat because the kid is on the other side of the house is dangerous. That being said, I'm not convinced the dogs were a threat based on the horrible video, and if they weren't then the cops that shot them should be reprimanded.

I pretty much agree with everything else you said. I wish the video did a better job of showing what happened though, because without a better view or statements from all parties involved, all we're doing is arguing based on assumptions and speculation.

7. Czolgosz

Czolgosz Banned

So this guy was, at some point, selling drugs to people who wanted to purchase drugs, gets busted, cops breakdown his door and shoot his dogs because he might once again be selling drugs to people who want to buy drugs?

L
    O
    L

8. CBR900RAR

CBR900RAR Resident Badass

:stupid:Yes, he was selling drugs to people who wanted to buy drugs(that's illegal here in Missouri) He got busted and did 15 months in jail. The cops break in his door on a search warrant (that's standard procedure for this type of offender) and shoot his dog (standard procedure for an attacking animal) all because he was again selling drugs to people who wanted to buy drugs. (that's still illegal, just in case you were wondering.)

I wish the Columbia Police would raid every drug house in our fair city and I don't care how many dogs they kill in the process. I'm tired of the trash in this town. This used to be a nice place to live. If this is what it takes to clean it up, so be it. And I know "they only found some resin and a pipe"...... This guy is a known dealer, and hopefully this type of thing will spook some of the other dirtbags in town. I say more drug raids.... Do them every night!

9. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Great idea just kick down every door they think might be an issue and shoot the dog. So what about you? Got a dog? I would quote the first they came for saying but I doubt it would sink in on the repeat. This guy WAS a known and prosecuted dealer. Sadly there is a chance that he was now a loser that got of jail and still used the product he used to sell. Maybe, maybe not but due process is not something you should surrender easily. Soon you might have the same folks kicking in your door for that incandescent light and shooting your cat.

10. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Is he where you get your stash from?

11. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

As a side note> there's a reason why very little time is given......some bad people tend discard evidence quickly or even gives them time to get a weapon.

Wow, this is a collection of posts just from the last two pages, couldn't be bothered to start from page one. I mentioned it once already, they raided the residence at 8:30PM!!!

http://beforeitsnews.com/news/41/703/SWAT_Raid_on_MO_Family_One_More_Reason_to_End_War_on_Drugs.html

http://www.columbiatribune.com/news/2010/may/03/drug-raid-inquiry-is-ongoing/

12. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

And who's 3 year old isn't headed to bed or already there at 8:30pm? Time of day is irrelevant.

13. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

What you may or may not understand is that if an investigation is conducted properly, there may very well be a mountain of probable cause/evidence against the target BEFORE the raid is even implemented. I'd say a very large number of raids is the 'closure' portion of a successful narcotic investigation so the fruits of just THAT raid/action really doesn't amount to much. Now that may not be the case on this matter, I don't have all the facts, much like the rest of you but that doesn't change the fact that a very large portion of raids is the final action of an investigation.
    Now, do you understand a little better what I meant with my prior post?

Ok, again, it was 8:30PM, this raid was not unreasonable time wise.

Secondly, I'm not sure what their strategy was for this particular raid, maybe they had other raids or jobs keeping them busy, I don't know.
    What I can say is the majority of raids that I know of that were conducted at night are for a reason........Catching a target at night or better yet in the wee hrs of the night typically puts them at a disadvantage because they are usually relaxed/sleeping/undressed/etc so as a result, they are not as well equipped as LE personnel barging in. It may be a little over the top but think of it as a 'shock and awe' type of action, that tends to make things safest for LE personnel. Plus, in the daylight it's usually more difficult to be stealthy on your approach when your neighbor across the street is drinking their lemonade on the front porch hollering Po-Po/Woop-woop/ or just bling their neighbor on the Nextel.

Because history has shown that criminals do desperate things on occasion? How many times have you heard that wife, mother or neighbor say on the news, "OMG, I would never have thought he was capable of doing such a thing, he was always such a nice boy." Be honest.

Also, understand, most LE want to go home at the end of each tour so they train and train some more to keep themselves sharp and alert. Most people doing raids are SWAT and/or highly trained individuals so when they go barging into someones home believe me, more times than not, no one gets hurt, because they're professionals.

I got news for you, with a dad who is a drug dealer, THAT kid was probably taught far before this incident that cops suck. Hell, I'd be willing to bet there are some people here who hate LE so much that they're kids 'feel the love' too.

Agreed on the first part and strongly disagree with the latter. The "po-po" did their job, the father could have avoided it all.

Last edited: May 10, 2010
  14. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

I'm missing your point, some 3yo's could be in bed by 7PM, they take naps in the middle of the day too, should LE be cognizant of everyone's sleeping habits before executing a warrant?

I was just pointing out that a lot of people have misspoken on the incident time, nothing else, so excuse me if I'm lost on what you're trying to say.

15. pickled egg

How exactly could the father have avoided it all?

The "smoking gun" is a pipe with some resi in it?

He did a 15 month stint 7 years ago. Was he out shooting up neighborhoods, raping white girls and doing wheelies down the highway these past 7 years? Nowhere have I seen nor heard of *any* justification, even ex-post facto, to warrant the actions these meatheads took.

16. CBR900RAR

Again..... I live in this town and he STILL IS a drug dealer..... It's common knowledge around here which is why they acted on the tip.

And the cops arent going to kick in my door and shoot my dog because I'm not committing any crimes that would warrant that. You see, the police kicking in the door is the last step in an inverstigation that the suspect usually doesn't even know is going on. And I don't have an cat, Nutsack.

I get it, some people are just going to villainize police no matter what they do. I personally(being a resident of Columbia Mo where this happened) am happy to see our local law enforcement actively fighting a war on drugs.

And another thing, Nobody in Missouri cares what you people think. So keep blabbing about how awful our cops are...... Nobody here gives a shit. We like our cops.

17. CBR900RAR

So if this "ex-dealer" is such a super guy, why don't you invite him to come move into your neighborhood? Maybe he can watch your kids while you're at work..... How'd that be?

18. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Show me.

19. pickled egg

I don't have kids, but given the information I've got, I'd be more apt to trust this former dealer/current smoker with my kids than a gang of trigger-happy thugs with riot gear and automatic weapons.

You keep saying how you KNOW this guy is still dealing, how is it exactly that you KNOW so much about this guy? Why has it taken 7 years for the clowns with badges to take any action against him? Why weren't they able to find all the evidence that they'd been investigating for so long that they were so sure he'd have?

We've got enough ne'er-do-wells and Gestapo cops up here, you can keep the ones you KNOW so well. :rolleyes:

20. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Boy, aren't you in an argumentative mood tonight. The father could have avoided it by NOT having any involvement in illegal drugs, did I really need to spell out the obvious to you?

Unless, Mo runs ass backwards no judge will grant a SW based on just a tip provided by a good Samaritan and/or criminal working off a charge, as it was suggested earlier. You doubt that, as the forum lawyer.

Don't you mean that's all you know about?

LMAO....WTF are you? Did you sign off on the SW? Were you the DA who viewed the merits of the application for this SW?

Holy crap, the arrogance that has plagued this section lately. About the only comfort I got so far in this thread is that you haven't procreated. :D

Last edited: May 10, 2010