SV650 guys.....first gen

Discussion in 'Tech' started by kanatuna, May 1, 2012.

1. stalemate27

stalemate27 Banned

Too busy to shave I know that much lol

I won't let anyone else touch my suspension , I need to call him and get #s for my 600 he just did

2. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I thought I wrote up a post, but don't see it here. Do you run in the SS class or SBK class? If you run SS and you run different tracks, I would send it to Zoran, at TWF, or whoever else you like, and have a cartridge modification done. This gives you compression and rebound adjustabillity w/o having to change oil weight and take forks apart, like you must do with emulators.

In my experience with Tyler, we make changes to the suspension, as we go to different tracks. I don't want to take the fork apart, or drain the oil for a different weight, I prefer to turn a clicker on pit road and send him out. With either AK20's (about $1100 I think) or the modification TWF does, (about $600 I think) you use the clickers instead. On Zoran's mod, he drops in 20mm cartridges off a 600-1000 cc bike and valves them for you to work inside your standard SV front end.

If you run SBK, I would probably just buy a 600 or 750 front end and mount it. Our bike had the upside down forks, with standard non-radial style calipers, from a 00-03 GSXR750. Tyler set five SV track records with this non radial front end. He did all those but one, once we put in Ktech valving, in the front end.

3. afm199

afm199 Well-Known Member

I've set up a dozen for the track and Zoran a hundred. The numbers I gave are pretty much the same ones he uses. 110-115 mm air gap is SO STIFF I can't believe you can ride the bike. You must have almost 2 inches of unused fork travel.

I've got 135 mm in my stocker right now and am changing it to 140 in a week or two.

4. kanatuna

kanatuna You can't polish a turd..

The cartridges just arent in my budget. If I do that...I would miss out on a couple rounds of racing. This Miller round is killing my budget as it is. Cash only...I have never used credit cards for racing.

Maybe I will take out some more fluid. I will see how it feels at Miller and go from there.

Thanks again guys.

5. RxRC

RxRC Well-Known Member

When fork height is mentioned I'm assuming everyone is using a 120/70.

6. afm199

afm199 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, here, everyone is mentioning whatever they have on their SV regardless of whether it is gen one, gen two, or any of four or five GSXR front ends, much less tire size.

7. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

i answered the OP's original question, which was for stock forks, on a first gen.

fwiw, i never measured fork height above the triples, i measured fully extended down to the axle from the top of the bottom triple clamp. all forks are not put together the same.

8. afm199

afm199 Well-Known Member

Yes you did, one of the few who was concise. Sorry. I measure mine from the horn boss, but many methods work.

9. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

First gen is easy, just pull forks up until dust seals start hitting triple and stop there :)
    See you guys at Miller, hope we have good light weight grid.

10. kanatuna

I finished putting my bike back together about 2hrs ago. I set the bike up according to the masses. I hope it helps.

It'll be cool to meet some of the west coast guys.

11. mmfoor

mmfoor Team Stupid!

Tuna, you may want to give Sorbo a call at Lindemann. He knows his shit and they do some of the best rebuilds and setup out there. You won't get raped either.

I expect a good report from Miller! Good luck my friend and hi to Molly!
    You doing the Jam???

12. afm199

afm199 Well-Known Member

The masses? One fork at 115mm air gap, one at 140mm. One fork flush, one 15mm up.

13. simonburic

simonburic Runs Wide

Will this set up make you fast or make you corner low?

14. afm199

afm199 Well-Known Member

Good lefts!

15. kanatuna

Exactly....it rode itself.

The bike was set with 115mm air gap(15 wt oil-emulators). 10mm above the triple. 355mm shock.

The bike didnt push once this weekend. It felt great. I just needed more seat time to drop below 2:10's.

I seriously want to thank you guys for your input. And a big thanks to Zoran for taking a good chunk of time to fill my brain with 1st gen knowledge while at the track Fri night.

16. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

I hope you wrote that stuff down, that altitude can make you forget some shit. You gonna be at Road A?

17. RxRC

RxRC Well-Known Member

Thanks, but how do you have enough rebound damping? I have a similar setup with 20wt Belray and rebound is light at best. My damper rods have the existing holes enlarged as well as another set drilled above them. And the tiny rebound hole is closed up. Hmmm.

18. afm199

afm199 Well-Known Member

I end up ( with upper hole brazed closed) with about 2/3 twenty weight and 1/3 thirty weight. Or 3/4 and 1/4

Still can't believe 115 mm air gap. I'd blow out the fork seals. I can't run 135, more like 140.

19. kanatuna

I have no idea... I'm not a suspension guru. I just know it rode a hell of a lot better than 89mm of air gap, 5mm showing above the triple and a 352mm shock.

I'm sure it can get better than I have it. Just saying it was much better than what I had. Zoran suggested 125mm of air gap.

20. afm199

afm199 Well-Known Member

It should have. With 89mm air gap you must have had 1.5" of unused travel. Do you have a zip tie on the fork tube to see how far the fork compresses? Ideally, with that setup, you're pushing the forks compressed until the zip almost touches the upper triple.