1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

suzuki. master cylinder recall

Discussion in 'General' started by ToddClark, Oct 16, 2013.

1. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

saved me the trouble, thanks. :) :up: i couldnt post it from my phone and just sat down at the laptop to post it up.

2. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Yeah, I would have to think the whole frame bracing piece is a little bit different logistically. Although I did see some posts from a guy overseas on GDC that apparently was able to somehow source the brace himself. Perhaps he worked at the dealership.

3. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

I guess on 10-28 we will know for sure... Still no TSB put out...

4. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

It says in the article there that they'll replace the MC and brake fluid. For the guys with SS race bikes you think they'll spring for the SRF brake fluid that we're all using ;) ;) ;)

5. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Of course it was. You don't honestly think $85 dollar a bottle brake fluid truly fixed anything do you?

6. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

Castrol's bottom line sure benefited.

7. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

Good I have two bikes in the shop that fall under the recall.

'11 GSXR750
    '11 GSXR1000

Doubt it will cure the real issues with the master cylinder.

Actually I have owned several of each model of the affected years. Always new the part was a pos. Just got used to no front brakes after 5 laps:D

8. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

I did my own frame recall in my dealers shop. I actually did two because the dealer was a big 4 wheeler outfit and had no idea how to work on a Sportbike. I simply watched the Suzuki video, used their tools and had them both done in no time. I don't deal with that dealer these days but the other close dealer will probably end up being the same deal. As soon as I walk in the door I am intantly the most knowledgeable guy in the shop.:eek:

9. ToddClark

it sure as hell didnt for anyone i know.

10. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

Can someone explain how it took this long to address the problem? How could they keep putting a garbage part on for almost 10 years knowing that it did not work properly and then do a recall after that 10 years?

11. caferace

caferace No.

Perhaps the corrosion (as indicated in the notice) was not evident until after 10 years?

-jim

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I do think it's funny that somehow having stock brakes fade - not fail mind you but fade - under race conditions is somehow a failure of a part :crackup:

Guess what, stock brakes have always faded when compared to race braking systems. Old school trick was to bore out the master...

13. joec

joec brace yourself

no. the old school trick was to vent your drum. :D

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

:crackup:

Good point!

15. ToddClark

SS legal? :D

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Nope. It got Kurt Hall DQ'd once when his mechanic did it.

17. Venom51

Someone will have to explain to me the thermal dissipation dynamics before I buy the thought process of enlarging the MC bore as the cure for brake fade. I'm not buying it.

Enlarging the bore would increase the amount of pressure applied at the caliper thus causing more heat. How does that fix the issue?

18. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Preferably. Just give my vin# and exchange the parts. I've made it this long without a dealer monkey touching my bike and I don't relish the idea.

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

More pressure when they fade helps. You won't use more pressure early on, you apply whatever the pressure is necessary to stop the bike without flipping it.

20. Venom51

Yeah still not the cure but a way to manage the problem.