1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Summit surface?

Discussion in 'General' started by RickJohnson#29, Apr 4, 2009.

1. RickJohnson#29

RickJohnson#29 Well-Known Member

How is the track surface this weekend? Were some of the problems areas
    from last year repaired?Thanks

2. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

Right now there's some water bubbling up in turns 1 and 5 and the carousel feels like something Neil Armstrong would have walked on. Oh, and there's a lovely dip near the apex of turn three in case you need something for your chips :)

3. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

While I'm just spectating...turn 5 looks like it has no business being on a race track. My son likes the track so far...except turn 5.

4. Six3SixGal

Six3SixGal Official WERA Cat Lady

its different. Again... is it sad to say I miss the concrete???

5. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

So I actually got out and walked the track. Man, some of the turns are flat out nasty. Turn 5 is just plain ugly. It does look like there is a line on the very inside, about a foot of good pavement. If you screw up and run wide though while on a fast lap, well... dirt tires might be better! Most everyone I watched was taking the long way around through the corner. I'm going to go out tomorrow and watch the fast guys ride that turn and see how they do it.

6. TunerB

TunerB Well-Known Member

summit is summit same for all riders

7. RickJohnson#29

RickJohnson#29 Well-Known Member

Never been there and will be going soon.Heard about the problems of the track
    coming up in spots last year.I was told these areas were repaired.I just want to
    know what areas I should be concerned about. Thanks again

8. bel-biv

bel-biv Well-Known Member

Don't read too much into everyone's 2 cents, Rick.
    It is what it is and everyone has to ride the same track.
    Last year, when the track was actually coming up in chunks, I went faster than I had before and won my first races.
    Don't let everyone's complaints get in your head - you'll find out for yourself soon enough.....

9. YZROOSTINYA

YZROOSTINYA Well-Known Member

I actually thought it was not that bad. There are some crappy spots with some sealer, but better than last year. It definitly could be better, but it is what it is.

10. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

:stupid:

It was pretty good for me this weekend. :up:

11. KILLA1

KILLA1 Orange Suzuki = MY HERO

for my first time there - it was fine!!! heard horror stories....... but it was a good weekend for me, except my shifter coming off on lap 4 of my race :mad:

but o well next time!

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah, the rumor mill online tends to make most things much worse than they really are.

13. Transelement

Transelement pro set miner

as usual, people make things out to be about 10x worse than reality.

turn 5 presented me with the most "fun" in morning practices but by race time it was completely manageable. My biggest complaint was the track would just SUCK the heat out of your tires -- couldn't get the left side working for me, and that had nothing to do with surface conditions.

14. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

I can say after doing the Saturday Solo and Sunday Formula 1 races the surface worked well at race pace and the traction was predictable.

15. metalkid88

metalkid88 Well-Known Member

yeah for my first time being there i would say its a lot better than ppl make it out to be. i had no problem with traction anywhere.

16. stickman

stickman crash free since 5/6/07

I think the concrete was better. After all the work over the past year, they made it worst, it's a big mess. Although traction seems fine, it's just ugly, there is multi-colored sealer all over 1, 3, 5, 6, & 7, it's hard to tell what is what.

Just don't understand why the track owners just can't get it right.

Ehh, I still had fun.

17. 03silvr6

03silvr6 Well-Known Member

Turn 5 was the only one that i thought was any concern, made the front chatter pretty good. All the rest weren't to bad

18. WERA_864

WERA_864 Well-Known Member

Anybody try the long way around the problems in 5 and compare their lap times?

I did that last season and was consistently faster going through the junky/bumpy part, but if its worse now - at some point it might make more sense to run wide through there.

19. gpstar748

gpstar748 Well-Known Member

track wasnt too bad........everyone was a little off pace compared to last year though

i personally had a blast racing down there........i only wish i couldve sorted out my tire issues on Saturday rather than Sunday so I wouldnt hae shredded more tires than I wanted to

20. eagletangogreen

eagletangogreen Well-Known Member

+1

I had no traction problems at all this weekend. Turn 5 "looked nasty" but had no issues there at all.