1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Summit Point Disaster: Part II

Discussion in 'General' started by SteveBell, Apr 12, 2000.

1. SteveBell

SteveBell Well-Known Member

As most of you know, I lost most of my race gear in a freak truck fire coming home from Summit Point with racer Paul Wszeboroski this past Sunday. (See previous post) Thank you all for the e-mails and support in the past few days!

To let you all know, I've got some good news and some bad news to report:

The BAD news:

Paul's insurance will not pay for my gear. They say it has to go under my parent's homeowner's policy. Unfortunately for me, they're on a cruise ship, and I won't be able to get in touch for them for about 2 weeks. It doesn't look too good to get any money back for what I lost. I'm pretty bummed about this, definately a setback to start the season. I won't let it stop me though.

The Cool kick ass Good News!:

After hearing that Paul's insurance wouldn't pay for any of my stuff, I was pretty much in the dumps. No insurance help, lost my helmets, gloves, all the money I made from the solo 20 and announcing all the races for the weekend, jacket, etc., I thought to myself "Well, this is starting to suck.". So, I pulled myself together and started thinking of stuff to sell so I could buy a new helmet at the least. I figured it was worth a shot to call Bell Helmets and ask for them to give me a helmet. (They sponsor me, but I pay for all my helmets, no freebies here.) Anyway, I called Jeremy Crowton at Bell and pleaded my case, hoping he'd help me out. He said he couldn't make that decision, and that his boss had to decide. Well, he never called back, so I wrote that one off as a lost cause.

(Throwback to earlier in the day....)

That afternoon, I had e-mailed the story of what happened to me and Paul to Dean Adams at AMAsuperbike.com. The ONLY reason I did this was to have him post a thank you to the Bemisderfer family for taking us home. (Heck, Tim Bemisderfer drove about a 10 hour round trip just so we'd get home. He's the man!) So I wanted to to thank Tim, his family and the Mellot family in the media for doing so much for us.

(forward back to 10 minutes after I called Bell Helmets)

The phone rings, and I pick it up hoping that it was Bell Helmets calling me back. (It wasn't!) The guy on the line asks if I'm Steve Bell, which I tell him I am. He introduces himself as Rick Mitchell (sp?) from American Honda in California. (At this point I'm thinking "Why is this guy calling me?) He tells me that Dean Adams from AMAsuperbike.com forwarded my e-mail to him and that he felt really bad that I lost most of my gear in the fire. Before I could say a word, he asks me what my helmet size is and tells me that he wants to buy me a brand new Arai Helmet to help me out. To say the least, I was in total shock. I got all chocked up and could barely talk. I started getting tears in my eyes. I could not believe this guy wanted to help me like this! With what few words I could utter, I thanked Rick for his unbelievable generousity. He said I'd get my helmet in the mail in a few days and good luck the rest of the season. Rick's call and offer pulled me right out of the dumps and made me realize that the season wasn't over for me. It's on now!

Right now I'd like to give a HUGE HUGE THANK YOU to Rick Mitchell, American Honda in California, Dean Adams and AMAsuperbike.com - the most kick ass website on the net! I cannot thank these people enough for what they've done! I really don't think I can put it in words how much this helps and how grateful I am. THANK YOU!

Steve Bell
    WERA #34 expert (and the race announcer!)
    FASTTRAX #34 expert
    AMA Pro #734

2. Tracee Polcin

Tracee Polcin Pic by IYF Photo

That is cool Steve. So now I know how to get some freebies burn your transporter up with your gear in it. [​IMG] But seriously, that is one hell of a gesture.

3. Happytrack604

Happytrack604 Well-Known Member

Steve;
    Team happy carries an extra set of leathers if you need to borrow them for a while. We'll be at Kershaw Friday evening.
    We are in the About Time Locksmith van with the Honda factory racing trailer (with no honda stuff inside) You can try them, they will pass tech and scuff instead of yourass.
    I can probably put you in some gloves too.
    I'm 6'2 180lb and can sqeeze into the Dianeese set if I have to, but they're for a smaller person. the gloves are large.
    Rob

4. 217

217 Well-Known Member

In real life I am an Insurance Agent. In most cases your personal effects (this would include your gear) are covered under your own homeowners policy. Your parents since you are residing with them and part of the household. Everything should be covered less the DEDUCTIBLE amount. My advice would be, Relax. You should have no problems.

Hope that tid bit helps your nerves. :)

Darrin

5. SteveBell

SteveBell Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the support guys! I'll be back racing at the end of the month. Thanks again to all the great people out there in the racing community, you know who you are!

Mike Kelly
    Matt Henderson
    Cork Morran
    Mario Palazzara
    Tim Bemisderfer and family!
    Rick and Missy Mellot

American Honda in California - Rick Mitchell!
    AMAsuperbike.com - Dean Adams http://www.amasuperbike.com

Thank you all so much for the help!

Steve Bell

6. robw122

robw122 Well-Known Member

glad to hear some cool news bell.