1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sucks for you if you missed this

Discussion in 'General' started by Once a Wanker.., Oct 9, 2023.

1. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

Talking with Fujio, listening to Dave Aldana and Steve McLaughlin, then Pierre Terblanche, did not suck at all this weekend, I have to say.
    Bonus appearances from a couple of old friends, both teammates and crew..

Last edited: Oct 9, 2023
  2. Once a Wanker..

Jimmy Felice and Jamie James conversation with Richard Moore about Johnny K. etc, at Suzuka was a conversation I missed. Many other respected folks there this weekend. I missed listening to Kevin Cameron, and seeing Kenny R, John and Chris U, and others. Busy hanging with my many friends, including Scott R.

3. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Did Jimmy talk about his lawsuit against Bill France ?

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  4. Once a Wanker..

No

5. A. Barrister

A. Barrister Well-Known Member

What happened, for those of us not in the know?

6. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

WTF is this thread about? Not all of us are insiders.

7. Once a Wanker..

Speakers at the free seminars offered by the Barber Vintage Motorsports Museum this past weekend for the Vintage Festival. Fujio was the grand marshal this year, and his grandson rode a vintage Honda twin Yosh Japan built race bike along with other noteworthy machines. It was great fun, Rick. Might have been worth your drive over.

YamahaRick likes this.
  8. YamahaRick

True. However, I'm very much the jaded type as when most folks (not the presenters, but everyday race fans) talk about past history, I am not too impressed, as I might have witnessed it with my very own eyes back in the day. First mc rr I can recall was back in the mid-60's at a combo dragstrip-road race course in the LA basin somewhere (Carlsbad?). How many here was at an AMA national at the Talladega NASCAR track? Charlotte back in the mid 70s? Daytona when Ago was there? ('74) Even the number of folks who witnessed AMA Experts going through Gravity Cavity at Road ATL is getting smaller every day.

Road racing was not the only thing - how about meeting Rodger DeCoster at the 1971 Belgium MX GP? Having a talkative father and a Japanese mother (who can create awesome japanese food) really created unique opportunities for me to experience motorcycle racing. Needless to say, I consider myself very fortunate in this regard. Even more fortunate to have raced myself, thanks to WERA.

ToofPic likes this.
  9. Once a Wanker..

The history you are referring to is not lost to Dave, Steve, Ron Pierce, Brian Uchida and others who lived it, in attendance Saturday. Many encouraging Dave to write a book, but he's not convinced yet. He clearly made it know that the only reason he road raced was because of the GNC points structure. He also talked openly and in depth about numerous team's 'behind closed garage doors' activities, and disregard for rules.

YamahaRick likes this.
  10. YamahaRick

I don't know Brian Uchida personally, but we have mutual friends. Brian was/is a valuable resource for those that ride red.

Ron Pierce is actually my hero in racing - he was one of the guys I saw race at Carlsbad back in the 60's. His race # was 97; mine as a WERA Novi was 997, then 97 as an Expert. I was actually able to meet him at his house in Bakersfield CA back in the early 2000's, as well as at the Sears Point AMA round the same year. Had I known he was there (was he?), I would have made more effort to attend.

Here's a pic of Ron Pierce with Gary Fisher found via Google Image Search. Posted by The Rider Files website (a cool site) and photo taken by Gary Van Voorhis. Sadly, Gary passed away recently. I first met him as a (n about) 12 year old kid, when he and Cycle News editor Jack Mangus stopped by my folks' house to see my dad. Jack and my dad were both in the 82nd Airborne (different eras).

[​IMG]

Another pic grabbed from the search; CN page where it appeared:

https://www.cyclenews.com/2022/02/a...rruthers-makes-his-move-at-road-atlanta-1972/

[​IMG]

Once a Wanker.. and ToofPic like this.
  11. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Cliff Notes , After The Moto-ST series ended ,France gave him a job to help him out . He got hurt on the job and sued France .

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  12. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

My Very first race weekend was as a spectator at Road Atlanta.The 6oo Hurricane had literally just been released.I watched someone dominate everything that
    weekend on one.My tits were on fire to go racing after that.I had never been so sure about something I wanted to do.I got to race the old track many times,before they neutered it.Shaving the hill on the back straight,taking away the gravity cavity,turn 12,which still pisses me off,almost as much as the new 2A/B.Its not the same!! I know!! Safety! But this isnt a safe sport! Wish they had let it be! My old 2 cents! :D

969 and YamahaRick like this.
  13. A. Barrister

A. Barrister Well-Known Member

That sucks.

But, without knowing details, can't say whether it is a valid suit or not. So, no opinion one way or the other.

14. 27

27 Well-Known Member

Every time that I got injured working for my own race team, from my Superbike riding days to my team principal days, I had to sue my own company to get paid from the very same insurance company that I paid the premiums to… it’s a messed up system so it may sound bad but be normal and France may have told him to sue him to make sure the insurance company paid like they’re supposed to…

YamahaRick likes this.