1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Successfully bailed from Illinois

Discussion in 'General' started by grasshopper, Jan 7, 2020.

1. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

Illinois, Cali, and NY, and pretty much NJ too, Crapfest full of 'redistribution of money' and progressive trends that do a great job of outdong/surpassing the last great progressive trend/laws.

Best move you ever made! Well, maybe not the best, you didn't end up in TX!

2. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

Too bad you didn't go north. :D My niece lives in Plymouth IN. Already teasing her about being a hillbilly. :D

3. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

Park Forest on the Cook county side

4. HAZE

HAZE Group Therapy

E692FB01-E6BA-41A4-BF5C-39CDE132167E.jpeg That SV looks familiar
    You and my son had a good race at Road America last year

grasshopper likes this.
  5. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Out of curiosity do you remember the percentages? I pay about 1.1-1.2% of what I paid for my house and they can only raise it 2% a year at times when values go up, but it can also drop when they go down.

The first house I ever bought in Texas is over 2%, I believe and it has gone up 70% in the past 6 years. I think they got behind on assesments.

6. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I’ve been browsing real estate and the first place I stop will be the tax assessor’s office, when I get serious. When I see a place at <$1K/yr and neighboring properties 2-3 times that, something is up and I don’t want to find out the abrupt way.

7. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

Welcome to 1998?

8. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Well-Known Member

...right when I returned from the Navy.

9. RossK6

RossK6 Grid Filler

I used to live just north of Rockford. We moved to NC 15 years ago. Taxes way lower here, but fewer libraries, parks, and some how crappier roads.

10. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

I was born and raised in IL, further south than some of you guys. I was just across the river from St. Louis and about 10 miles north. I left that shithole in 2006 and I've never regretted it for a moment. Yes, my wife and I both still have family and friends there, and we visit occasionally, but I would never consider moving back....TN has been my home for the past 13 1/2 years and I simply love it here. Congrats on getting out, it was a wise move.

11. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

12. ShadowBoxer

ShadowBoxer Well-Known Member

Welcome to Indiana, just don’t bring any looney liberals with you. If you do they’ll have to go back because we are full.....lol

grasshopper likes this.
  13. racerx43

racerx43 Well-Known Member

Congrats on the IL exit- we did the same but to AZ, bigger riding season !

14. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

Like any other state, about 90% of them. Too bad all the crooked ones don't get caught.

My research indicates that the property taxes and housing prices in IL are a lot more reasonable outside the Chicago and St Louis metro areas. I will likely have to leave Chicago at some point.

15. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

16. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Given the new round of ass rape we got from the IL SOS as of Jan 1, might not be as painful as you think.

JB Pretzel, billionaire silver spoon savior of Illinois...

ducnut likes this.
  17. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Well-Known Member

I'm hanging around until my father is gone (and I truly hate saying it that way). I came back in '98 to help with my grandmother and saw my father retire shortly after she passed away. He, and work which I could probably go anywhere and find, are my only real ties to the area. House is paid off but $4400 in property taxes makes me cringe.

18. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

My IL town is steadily bumping up all our taxes, trying to offset everyone leaving. Sewer increase was effective 1/1/20. The previous 4yrs saw our water bill increase 25% each year, which are compounded increases, along with attached water tax increases. Each year, our property taxes have increased. Every city council meeting is about budget deficits. Well, everyone is leaving!!!!!

19. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I was curious and had to go look. We have a nicer than average house of 2950 sq ft. with 4 bed/3 bath and a bonus room, as well as a 4 car garage in a gated community that we bought in 1995. It is assessed at 427,838 and my tax is $4313.02 for a tax rate of 1.008%. This house is worth about 1M so the effective tax rate is .0043.

Luckily in California you don't need to be smart to make money in real estate, you just need to buy some. I was stupid and sold our stater home, we paid $175k and put 20k into it in 93 and sold it 2 years later for a loss at $155k. That home is worth over $680k now on Zillow.

The only reason I didn't rent it, was because it had a pool and multiple people told me as litigious as California is they wouldn't own a pool home. I should bave have filled it or ignored them.....oh well I was stupid!!!!!

I still own my first house I bought in Flower Mound, a Dallas suburb in 1987 for $68K. It is a 1450 sq ft 3bed/2bath, 2 car garage home. It is assessed at $224,636 and my taxes are $4491.11 for a 1.992% tax rate.

Years ago I was going to get transferred to Austin and bought a house in Lakeway for 160k. The taxes were between 3-4% so Texas can have expensive assessments.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
    SpeedyE likes this.
  20. SpeedyE

SpeedyE Experimental prototype, never meant for production

Happy for you and your Family :)