1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Subaru BRZ: What do you think?

Discussion in 'General' started by anupe, Mar 22, 2013.

1. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Well, yea, sort of. Ya see, my uncle Cletus has this garage on the outskirts of town and he had all the parts to build this brand new `96...

:eek:

2. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

Sheik Abdul ben Falafel Well-Known Member

define good.

I wrecked a talon tsi something horrible! I decided not to buy the car after that. :D

plus those are notorious for crank walks!

3. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Good as in I only got beat by one car in S Street prepared autocrossing over a two-year period. Just happened to be the then current SCCA Solo 2 championship driver in his track-only Camaro. All that with just a full exhaust and coil-overs.

4. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

you must be an awesome driver....cause we all know how big of a turd those cars were :D

5. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

:crackup: In a word, NO!

6. anupe

anupe Searching for consistency

So, I went out and did a test drive on a BRZ with an automatic tranny. I wanted to drive a manual, however they didn't have a manual tranny version available.

The car handles very well for sure. I'm not sure it would be a fun car for me to drive as I would want more power to have fun with. At the end of the day, I can't get past the cons that are listed in almost every review I read:
    1. The need for more motor
    2. The road noise
    3. Lack of a more luxury ergonomics. I understand Subaru is a mid-luxury brand as a whole. So, this is part of the brand identity.

While I do like the car, it's not going to work for what I'm looking for. If Subaru could get that thing to put out 250-260hp, I would probably sing a different song.

Thanks for all the input!

7. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

used s2000 out of the question?
    same weight 240hp screamer.

8. anupe

Not out of the question, however I would like to get something new versus used. It would be nice if the S3000 would make it from drawing board/concept car to reality, but that is still in the air.

If I had the $$ I would get the new Cayman or Boxster S. The WRX STI is in the mix, however the new WRX is coming.

I'll keep researching!

9. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

It's a small segment: 1 series, 370z, Genesis, Mustang, Camaro....

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  10. anupe

Agreed, the problem is I'm not a fan of the cars in this samll segment. Not manly enough for me.

I'll most likely have to:
    1A. Grow a bigger wallet (like that happens by just wanting it to happen)
    1B. Realize that I'm really looking for a mid size super car
    2. Come to the reality that I need to continue to lust after the mid size super cars (Boxster, Boxster S, Cayman, Cayman S, Lotus Evora, M3...)

I'll keep searching for a used 2009+ PDK Cayman in my price range. There aren't many used ones out there. This may change as the new Cayman gets delievred to the dealers in April.

The new Boxster and Cayman design is just beautiful. They're wider (the Boxster no longer looks like a chic car), offers more power and down right performs on the street and track... The only car in it's class that has something for it is the M3, but I'm not a BMW fan.

11. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I agree on the new Boxster and Cayman. They're just ridiculously priced. MSRP on a new Cayman S is $63,800:eek: I think if I were in the market for a sports car it would come down to a used S2000 (as new and low mileage as I could find), used C6 Corvette, new 370Z, or go nuts and spend the money building a kickass LSx powered FD.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  12. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

more like 80 nicely optioned.

13. anupe

Yeah, that Cayman S price of $63,800 is misleading as that is just the bare base version and no one gets the bare base model. You're more so looking at 68-70K for the PDK Cayman S without all the bells and whistles. Way, way, way out of my price range!

14. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

I never look at msrp or even invoice when i look at sports cars anymore.

the options are crazy!

a nice 911s (991) options out ot almost 130...what a turbo used to cost not too long ago!

a new viper gts with track pack is close to 170!

only car that is pretty good about the pricing it the vette. what you see is close to what you get.

15. HPPT

HPPT !!!

That's pretty much standard German practice. If you get them from Japan, you can spend msrp and still only experience minimal frustration.

16. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

true, but we are talking about sports cars.

Japan stopped making sports cars when they stopped the nsx! :D

but seriously though...a 350z had tons of options and trim packages that added up!

not so much with the s2000 though. came nicely loaded.

the genasis is almost german...too many stuff you feel like you need for it to be a fun car.

17. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

GTR?

I don't think the S2000 even had any options when it first came out, other than dealer installed accessories. It stayed pretty much that way throughout its life.

18. anupe

Ahhh, just did some reading on the 2014 370z Nismo. 350hp, 276 of torque, 0-60 in 5 secs, top speed 155. That's in the performance range of a Audi TT. Yeah, it's a bit pricy @ 48K, but not the 70K+ of the Porsche's.

Hmmm, let me learn more about this Nismo!

19. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

I knew someone was going to mention the gtr!
    screw that thing...my nsx was the bombshiznit from japan before that came out! :D

options on the s2000 (my ap2) were hard top (i didnt get) upgraded tires and headrest mounted speakers, but most car came with those....the hardtop was pretty pricey if i remember right.

20. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

the 2014 nismo is supposed to be a refresh model.

has retuned suspension and a new variable valve lift control. has a new nismo tach also.

cool car!