1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sport Touring with the Wife, bike?

Discussion in 'General' started by JeffroJ, Nov 19, 2014.

1. JeffroJ

JeffroJ 3 Ninjas and a Mexican

Almighty Beeb, the wife wants me to get another bike, :rock: more of a sport tourer because she hates riding on my Buell, the seat is tiny! I would like something with luggage for small trips, and she wants a backrest/top bag to lean against. I'm trying to stay under 4k with hard bags, or 3500 without.

Searching the beeb and web for the last couple weeks for reviews and whats on the market in the area, I've narrowed down to a second gen Bandit 1250 and a first gen FZ1. But I'm still open to others, just don't see anything in the price range, and I don't want anything smaller in displacement.

Anybody have/had both and have a strong opinion? I like the looks of the FZ1 more, but like the fuel injection of the bandit. I'm also on the fence about whether I'd have more fun with the torque, like my Buell, or something with more top end, just not sure I'd ever use it. The bike will also be put in the mix for commuting. Any thoughts? Reliability the same between them?

TL/DR version:
    Gen 1 FZ1 vs Bandit 1250 for 2up trips/commuting?

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Damn, I was good until I saw the budget :D

3. JeffroJ

4. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

Which Buell? For that price range: $4K, I was going to suggest the Buell Ulysses. It may take some work/luck but a 2006 can be had in that budget.

5. JeffroJ

XB12S, not doing that again.
    I'd prefer something that doesn't leak oil.

The bike needs to be somewhat capable for mountain trips.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
  6. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

:D

7. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

My wife loved our FJR almost as much as the Beemers. They are capable but all about the engine. Should be able to find plenty in your price range.

8. J Bart

J Bart Fat Kid Track Days

A clean ZX-11, ZZR1200, or ZRX-1200 though they all lack fuel injection.

9. Phl218

Phl218 .

1st gen tuono

10. JeffroJ

What I should have said: "fool me once..."

Nothing around here for that price, but trying to stay smaller in size.

11. JeffroJ

12. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Only ridden a B12 briefly, wasn't impressed.

Owned a 2002 FZ1 for around 40K, loved it. Get Givi racks and E21's and a top box (you'll still be well under $3500)

Owned an '03 FJR for a few months and sold it- nice motor, but for anything short of a 500 mile day it was stupid overkill. Low seat, but the weight and size of the thing were always noticeable. WARNING: if the wife has much of a say do NOT let her sample the comfort of something like the FJR cause she will not want to go back.

13. Tristan

I'm all about FI, but the G1 FZ1 carbureted perfectly when all stock and not so stock.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

15. JeffroJ

Any common issues with the motor, transmission, anything to look out for?

16. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

17. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

First and 2nd gen Triumph Sprint ST might fit the bill. Many can be had for cheap. Insured for very cheap, comparitavely. And it'll haul 2 people just fine. The 955cc triple is a real sweatheart of a streat motor. It's an option. Your first two choices are good ones too.

18. Tristan

cops mostly :D

Mine was bulletproof, I beat the shit out of it and crashed it 2 or 3 times and it was still ready to party. It's basically a 98 R1 drivetrain in a steel frame with upright bars. Wheelies will happen. The B12 was based on the old GSXR1100 air/oil cooled. The 1250 was an all new LC/FI motor, nicer I'm sure but still too hefty for my liking.

19. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Truth. Well almost. Anna liked my `94 R1100RSA enough to put over 100k miles on it two-up.

20. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Not sure about this if the OP is close to or over 6' tall. I had to put lowering pegs on my 2007 so could take a decent length ride let alone touring. Still not as comfortable as my 2001 FZ1 that I sold off. Also, you would have to check on the hard bag option, as I know there isn't one for my gen Tuono. Closest thing in the Ventura system. I don't regret the trade because I wasn't doing any touring anyway and I like the lighter sportier feel of the Tuono for most of the riding that I do. Plus it looks way cooler and it's Italian.

Unless you let the carbs sit too long and gunk up, the FZ1 is very reliable and very comfortable all day long. You might need a shock spring for 2 up touring as the stocker is soft for that much weight.