1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sport Touring bikes

Discussion in 'General' started by Gorilla George, Jan 10, 2014.

1. Im leaning towards the Multistrada as my next street bike, because I want something that is capable and comfortable for long distance trips. But i also want something that is fun, so when i get there i can take the luggage off and have a fun bike. And something that will be good for the mountains, going to the gym, etc.

I know the Ninja 1000 fits that criteria also and I have a lot of time on one of them. It is a cool bike, but a lil bit too far towards the Sport side of Sport Touring. I couldnt see myself riding one for 10 straight hours. The Triumph Sprint ST isnt made anymore, now they have the GT and it is much more towards the Touring side of Sport Touring, sorta like the Kawi Concours.

What other bikes am I missing that I should look into? Doesn't Honda make a ST bike? I know they came out with a new VFR800 that would be perfect, but it isnt coming to America. :down:

I don't want a big tank of a bike, but I don't want something really small either because it will need to be able to carry luggage and be somewhat comfortable.

2. RGV 500

RGV 500 OLD, but still FAST

Yamaha FJR 1300

3. Isn't it kind of tankish? How does it handle?

It is more of a Touring bike, rather than a Sport-Touring bike. Amirite?

4. Ok, the FJR is ugly as hell.

Next. :D

5. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I've owned and/or ridden a couple of the bikes you mentioned. JMHO, but they are all pretty much tanks with or without the saddlebags on with the exception of the VFR. That was a fun bike to ride once you took the gear off.

Why isn't Honda bringing the new one? First I've heard of that. Plus why buy a new one? You can get a cherry VFR for about 4 to 6 grand.

Another one to think about is the FZ1. There are loads of touring kits for them.

6. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

I thought you were getting a dirt bike?

7. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

I wish Honda would get it together with the VFR. That new one looks decent but that auto trans shit has me put off. I dig the Mulit and i'm sure with some pipes, air filter and tuning it rips. BMW has some nice options but the GS is probably bigger than you want, although it is widely regarded as the one of the best all around machines ever. Tough call, it doesn't seem like there are as many sport oriented tourers as there used to be. The Ducati ST line was sweet, the Aprilia Futura was nice, The VFR used to be killer. Shit... maybe just get a busa and set it up for touring?

8. B. Myers

B. Myers Well-Known Member

Aprilia Futura...just stumbled across one of them myself. Granted, not a new bike, but something you may want to look at. I like the touring aspect with the V-twin- they can be picked up fairly cheap too.

9. kman0066

kman0066 Well-Known Member

10. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Interesting that you bring up these bikes...my best friend has a Futura, an ST3 and his ex-wife had the VFR. I rode every one of them and guess what I got?

A GS!

Sidenote: if your looking at the Futura, make sure to check out the gas tank. They had major issues. My friends was replaced twice due to leaking.

11. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

Plan on riding any gravel or dirt?

The Big ADV bikes are pretty good at 'sport' riding, very comfortable on long hauls and their versatility when the pavement ends is the best part about them IMO. All come with side panniers or can be added later. I have been riding big ADV bikes for 11 years and they have taken me places all over and usually hold my own in the sport crowd in the twistes. They are not hyper speed type bikes so straight line super speeds. 130 mph is about it due to aerodynamics and tire ratings. Two up not a problem my wife loves these type bikes as a passenger.

My two cents...

12. I don't know why they arent bringing the new VFR800 over here. It is being introduced in Europe, but it say they have "no plans of releasing it in the USA".

I like buying new bikes.

13. cpettit

I love the Motus but are they still in business? I haven't heard about them for a year or so and I kinda figured they went the way of the new Norton.

14. cpettit

Oh, and somebody tell Aprilia to make a new Futura with the RSV4 motor.

15. This is my first time seeing the new Hyperstrada. It looks cool. It would be fun as hell on the street/mountains, but the touring model has luggage, a windscreen, wider/thicker seat, traction control, ABS, etc.

[​IMG]

16. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Someone mentioned the FJR....I bought the wife one back in '04. Take the bags off, bump up the shock and it will do just fine at anything short of insane. Plus, since they've been around a while you can get a used one for cheap, good luck finding one with low miles though I'm sure they're out there.

17. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

I think the GS is hard to beat. I have a KTM 990 Adventure because I wanted a little more dirt capable bike. But the GS is the Swiss Army Knife of motorcycles to me; it can do everything well.

18. I already have an XR100.

19. Whit45

Whit45 Well-Known Member

Here is my sport touring ride. 06 GSXR 1K, LSL bar conversion, raised pegs 3/4",have the Ventura sport pack and the large back pack mount. Its light, powerful, and dependable. Where do you want to go?
    [​IMG]

20. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Joe, what is a GS like off road...was thinking of a fly n rent somewhere Way NorthWest..:)
    I have never ridden one at all.