1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spies vs. Acree

Discussion in 'General' started by David Boosales, Jan 16, 2001.

1. David Boosales

David Boosales Well-Known Member

Hey JU,

I have noticed in several various posts, mostly dealing with securing sponsorship, that you have referenced a 1999 race between Ben Spies and Lee Acree at Texas World. You mentioned that it was this race that led you to consider signing Spies. However, to be accurate, this race never happened. WERA never went to Texas World in 1999.

I think that the race you are thinking of was the 1998 National Challenge race at Texas World that saw another young gun, Ryan Landers, upset Lee Acree in the Formula 2 race.

Lee went on to win the F2 championship that year. And Ryan Landers showed up at the next race, the GNF, in a set of Valvoline leathers. He (Ryan) then proceeded to launch a GSXR600 into a tree trunk approximately 10-15 feet above the ground.

BTW - I have a suggestion. How about posting in the "race reports" section the story about you and Dave Stanton and "Arming the Bomb"? I heard this story from the two of you at the 24hr. And, it was damn hilarious.

[This message has been edited by David Boosales (edited 01-17-2001).]

2. tbuilt

tbuilt Well-Known Member

3. David Boosales

4. julrich

julrich Well-Known Member

I have apparently hit my head more often and with more afteraffects than I realized. I was sure Spies beat Lee someplace. I'll research it and either eat crow and admit I have lost my mind and can't tell one kid from another, or, if the facts by some miracle vindicate me, send you a dead crow to eat.

I sure hope this isn't a case of facts not getting in the way of a good story, because it makes a hell of a story.

I can't tell the bomb story in public, somebody else might try it and blow up their transport vehicle with them inside. I'll tell you what, though, it sure gets people's attention when your van takes 100 gallons of gasoline at a time. Even at 10 mpg you can go 1000 miles without having to refuel.

[This message has been edited by julrich (edited 01-17-2001).]

5. David Boosales

JU,

I think that Ben beat Lee somewhere in 1999, maybe at the GNF in the 600 Suzuki Cup in the rain. I was just pointing out that it wasn't at Texas World.

P.S. ARM THE BOMB!!!!!

6. Elmo Buckweather III

Elmo Buckweather III Well-Known Member

Do not arm the bomb. Do not do anything. Just send the sponsorship.

Come on!

Okay? Okay!

Buck

7. Elmo Buckweather III

Elmo Buckweather III Well-Known Member

I am nice guy. Every one like me. I try so hard. Race many time on old tire. Bike so slow. Sleeping at paddock. Dream to winning. Always I try to help other guy. I like dog and cat, all animals. That is why you should be helping to me.

I explained in e-mails. I am waiting.

Buck

8. Jeffro510

Jeffro510 Hand bra for hire!!!!

Man, my wife would hate that. The only time we stop is when we need gas... [​IMG]

9. Tracee Polcin

Tracee Polcin Pic by IYF Photo

Or you have to go!!!! [​IMG]

10. aip

aip Well-Known Member

Either way JU Spies is a man child! I attended every race in 1999. I watched Ben Spies do wheelies at Carolina Motorsports Park and miss the track record (at the time) by only a couple of .01's.

Actually on the lap he almost broke the record he was posing for a pic for me.

11. TSR

TSR Well-Known Member

Feel free to give it a rest.
    The first 10 times weren't funny either.

12. julrich

Dude wasn't kidding about the e-mails, and he wasn't the only one. Also got FAXes and a couple of phone calls. If I hadn't seen it I wouldn't have believed it. Note: I am tapped out, no openings, sorry.

JU

13. julrich

Isn't there some irony in TSR advising someone to give it a rest? [​IMG]

14. David Boosales

I was thinking the same thing. [​IMG]

15. td930

td930 Well-Known Member

elmo is [​IMG]
    i hire him to be pit bitch
    it be start up ladder, no?
    he be happy?

elmo, bring rikshaw,we have many decal [​IMG]

16. Tracee Polcin

Tracee Polcin Pic by IYF Photo

I hope I didn't break you with that $100 Chuck is going to lend me. [​IMG]

17. Chuck Warren

Chuck Warren Well-Known Member

A bucket with kitty litter will do the trick.

18. Jeffro510

Jeffro510 Hand bra for hire!!!!

She's a great woman, and she comes to the track with me as much as she can, but that is pushing it. I'll let you tell her that!!!! [​IMG]

19. julrich

Okay, got with Lee Acree and sorted it out. Lee and Ben Spies had several very close races in WERA NC F2 in 1999, examples Talladega and Gingerman, Lee on 600, Ben on 250, went at it according to Lee "tooth and nail." But in both cases Lee prevailed.

The big battle at TWS was in 1998, and was between Lee and Ryan Landers, who drafted by Lee to win at the line.

So go back through all those posts referring to Spies v. Acree and make it Landers v. Acree and it still applies. Unfortunately Ryan got badly hurt several times in a row in 1999 and at the end of the year opted to try to put together a 250 program for 2000. That didn't happen but since then he has gotten hooked up with Shogun and has a good program going for 2001 and looks to be all healed up and back on form.

Apologies all around. Post-concussive syndrome?

JU

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

OOBBSS - Overdose Of BBS Syndrome

Makes one type things straight from memory without quadruple checking results...

Luckily everyone with more than 25 posts has it as well and totally understands/forgives any indiscretions.