1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speez

Discussion in 'General' started by lonewrench, Nov 10, 2009.

1. fullmetalF4i

fullmetalF4i C. Lee #826

Can someone post the link to motogp going back to big bikes in 2011? I must have missed that announcement.

2. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

This one? It's 2012 and it's not an announcement.

3. povol

povol Well-Known Member

Its not 100% official but all parties have agreed on production based 1000cc engines starting in 2012,not 2011.

4. bEeR

bEeR Hookers & Blow

It didn't say production based.

5. svtinker

svtinker Well-Known Member

And you would be wrong.

6. burner42

burner42 Well-Known Member

Your right! Edwards better pick up the pace already...if he wants to battle with Ben for top 3 next season... unless something changes between now and February Ben has already shown he can run a top 3 pace with little mods to the bike.:up: I am even surprised at how well he is doing at this point :bow:

7. bmfgsxr

bmfgsxr Well-Known Member

i think spies will adapt just fine. and ive been saying the same thing about hayden for a while now. he has not been able to adapt his style to the 800cc bikes that are more suited to the smaller european riders who grew up on gp machines.. if they do in fact go to 1000cc engines i think hayden will be very competetive. if not, id like to see him kick some ass in wsb.

8. povol

povol Well-Known Member

http://www.motomatters.com/news/2009/11/09/fim_president_world_superbike_contract_n.html

This was a couple of days after the piece you read

This would allow both teams and manufacturers to use engines based on production powerplants, greatly reducing the cost of research and development and paving the way for new teams to enter the class. The aim is to cut the cost of running a team roughly in half, from around 10 million euros for a two-rider satellite team down to between 5 and 6 million euros. Using production-based engines and allowing more engineering and maintenance to be done by the teams should be a major contributing factor in making this happen.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2009
  9. fullmetalF4i

fullmetalF4i C. Lee #826

Thanks guys for the links

10. onepointone

onepointone Well-Known Member

Didn't Infront put out a statement saying if Dorna did that, they would be taking legal actions against them?

11. manbearpig

manbearpig Well-Known Member

Yeap they sure did... this should be interesting

12. Hooper

Hooper Well-Known Member

Did you guys even read the linked article?

13. povol

povol Well-Known Member

InFront pitched the same fit and made the same threats about Moto2 and as of yet,no lawsuits. They have been stymied by a poorly written contract,that one little word makes all the difference in the world. I do fear that GP would become WSBK with a few more bells and whistles. At the moment,GP bike are around 2 seconds faster than a WSBK and the 800's are faster than the old 990's. If they go to production based motors,the performance difference between the GP and WSBK would be minimal. At that point,who survives. The one with star power would be my guess,and that would be who was willing to pay the most to get the best riders.

14. onepointone

onepointone Well-Known Member

Actually, I didn't read the article. Thats pretty interesting..

15. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

BINGO!

16. Dr. GoFast

Dr. GoFast Well-Known Member

if MotoGP goes to production engines that's complete and utter bullshit. WTF is the point then? they might as well kill MotoGP if they're planning to shit on it like that.

17. theJrod

theJrod Well-Known Member

Maybe it's just me, but I don't give a rip how close the times are between the major classes. I just like to watch good racing. If the 250s were faster than WSBK, it wouldn't make a bit of difference.

18. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

i'd be all for it if they were required to use standard cases and head, but allowed to modify them to a very vast extent. it would allow MotoGP to have an even bigger influence on sportbikes sold to the public. Honda and some others might finally sell a race bred V4 1000, or something unique. i thin Yamaha has come closest so far with the 09 R1, but there is still more thats they could produce.

19. theJrod

theJrod Well-Known Member

+1. The trickle-down in technology would be much quicker and more direct.