1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

South Africa Khwela Adventures Garden Tour

Discussion in 'General' started by eric hunter, Oct 21, 2013.

1. I just returned from a biker's nirvana. Me and 3 other guys flew into Johannesburgh, Sa to meet up with a KTM dealer for a bike trip down the east coast of Africa. We were on KTM 990's and I must say after 3085 kilometers of which 150 K was on dirt that this bikeis the Bomb! The 1190 coming to the US in 204 will be a must have. I thohjt my Ducati Multistrada was bad, but it's an asphalt baby and good, but give me a KTM on dirt/gravel !

we road from Joberg to Durbin on the coast staying in great B&B's. Ate the freshest seafood and grass feed beef ever. Forget all you think of Africa...hot, dirty, poor dry...SA is like Hawaii or Jamaica. British rule so its super clean and well organized. They - from the dirt poor guy in a beater to a 550S Mercedes, drive like you think regular people should. Come up on a car and by 1009' away they are siglnaling you by or pulled way over to the left had median to give you a path by. Pass a guy and the oncoming car pulls way over to his median to give safe passage. Behing a truck and a line of cars ging up a mountain road, the whole fuggin' group puls over goes they know you're gonna braap pass. Unbeleiveablr. I thought I was gonna be dead running traffic in SA when I think the States is a deah trap...they
    ll block you, hold you off on a pass or just left lane homo.
    I saw people get ticketed for not moving over fast enough!
    Any hoo, wild lifee was incredible - I had a bike, just needed a gun and I'd never returm - but the scenery down the coast road especially near Cape Town was off the charts ! Mountain passes, savannah, twisties, flat out runs at 165 K for hours !
    I'll post a few pix, but if you want to see some unreal scenery, check out my photobucket website.
    Oh, and we traveled with Chuck Norris ! Not really, but our guide/leader Treffon Smith was a spittin image of the guy and yes, we called him Chuck.
    http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=bdpp5k&s=5#.UmW2oRBuGjI

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2ci6y9y&s=5#.UmW20BBuGjI

Attached Files:

2. colin96

colin96 Well-Known Member

Sweet

3. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

I love South Africa. I would seriously consider moving to Cape Town.

4. Yeh, but we were there 2 days and we had cold rain, hot sun, wind 35-40 mph, perfect day all at once. Too weather shifty for me. Joberg was like Cali - no rain to speak of, 70's, perfect days in a row.
    I wish I had a program to upload some photos, even tinypic.com is too large for the Beeb.

Go to www.photobucket.com, eric hunter, South Africa Khwela
    adventures for 9 albums of spectacular coast lines, african peeps, animals etc.

5. Let's retry the post without busted ribs preventing typing errors...not from SA ride but a jaunt at the lake on the new 2014 WR300 Husky !

I just returned from a biker's nirvana. Me and 3 other guys flew into Johannesburgh, SA to meet up with a KTM dealer for a bike trip down the east coast of Africa. We were on KTM 990's and I must say after 3085 kilometers of which 150 K was on dirt that this bike is the Bomb! The 1190 coming to the US in 2014 will be a must have. I thouht my Ducati Multistrada was bad, but it's an asphalt baby and good, but give me a KTM on dirt/gravel !

We road from Joberg to Durbin on the coast staying in great B&B's. Ate the freshest seafood and grass feed beef ever. Forget all you think of Africa...hot, dirty, poor dry...SA is like Hawaii or Jamaica. British rule so its super clean and well organized. They South Africans - from the dirt poor guy in a beater to a 550S Mercedes, drive like you think regular people should. Come up on a car and by 100' away they are siglnaling you by or pulled way over to the left hand median to give you a path by. Pass a guy and the oncoming car pulls way over to his median to give safe passage. Behing a truck and a line of cars going up a mountain road, the whole fuggin' group pulls over as they know you're gonna braap pass quickly. Unbeleiveable. I thought I was gonna be dead running traffic in SA, but no. I think the States is a death trap...they
    will block you, hold you off on a pass or just left lane homo.
    I saw people get ticketed for not moving over fast enough in SA!
    Any hoo, wild life was incredible - I had a bike, just needed a gun and I'd never return to the States - but the scenery down the coast road especially near Cape Town was off the charts ! Mountain passes, savannah, twisties, flat out runs at 165 K for hours !
    I'll post a few pix, but if you want to see some unreal scenery, check out my photobucket website.
    Oh, and we traveled with Chuck Norris ! Not really, but our guide/leader Treffon Smith was a spittin image of the guy and yes, we called him Chuck.
    http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=bdpp5k&s=5#.UmW2oRBuGjI

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2ci6...5#.UmW20BBuGjI

http://s1096.photobucket.com/user/e... Africa Khwela Adventure Trip 2?sort=3&page=1

Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
  6. gpstar748

gpstar748 Well-Known Member

Apparently they kept you away from the nasty parts then...

I have seen some poorest of the poor places in South Africa...just North of Cape Town.

Places that locals said to literally turn around immediately if you start to drive through them...which we did at one point!

But yes, South Africa is an amazing place to visit. Excellent food and unreal scenery.

Sounds like an awesome trip

7. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

This is on my bucket list for sure. Thanks for posting :)

8. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

Awesome trip Eric! When I watched Long Way Down the country that blew me away the most was Ethiopia. Just stunning, I couldn't believe how beautiful the part they rode through was.

9. BarryG

BarryG Well-Known Member

Was this with a tour company, or KTM affiliated? Would love the names (for future reference :))
    Thanks

10. Outfit is a professional deal runby Treffon Smith who aslo has a kitchen remodeling biz, but he's run 3-4 of these a year. Www.khwelaadventues.com
    His good friend owns tge KTM dealership in Joberg. It's huge, like a car dealership size. He sells 45 KTM's alone per month. Also, has Yamaha, Triumph and new English redo's Royal Enfield. Cool ole bikes in brand new stuff.
    One of the true highlights for me was a day with 7x Paris/Dakar winner Alfie Cox. speed.ith him for a couple of hours and rode his 2013 1195 and his Dakar bike...the bike he won on! Had a fine dinner with him and slept in his little B&B he runs for bikers. A true humble champion and a very funny dude. He pulled out his log roll chart and explained the hyrogliphics of the symbols. Very interesting and tough to do at warp speed. Great stories on the Roof of Africa races too. He'll set up a true off road adventure with shop bikes in his small KTM shop in the boonies. Does a hell of a business too. Next day riding out, I counted 35 dirt bikes on the road and 20 more on trailers in our first 30 miles.
    Btw, the KTM 990 is one hell of a fine bike. The US will get the 1195 that Europe has now. It's a 990 with perfected extra tweeks. I rode it hard off road, on gravel, drug knees down mountain twisties and went 135-180 Kph for hours on the savannah runs. Bike never treated me wrong. My Multistrada was the best bike I thought. Now it's going to be a great road tour steed as a 2014 KTM 1195 is gonna join my stable !