1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So who are the Adv riders here?

Discussion in 'General' started by rd400racer, Mar 19, 2018.

1. malamute

malamute ARRA racer

Love that it has no tech. Pretty torquey. Don't like that it's top heavy. Only on road so far.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  2. acorn27

acorn27 4 out of 3 people in the world struggle with math

How’s the seat for longer rides?

3. malamute

malamute ARRA racer

Longest ride was about 20 miles so not too helpful. Was definitely more comfy than a plated XR650R. And that was comfy for me.

4. acorn27

Thanks. The WR's seat is like a 2x6, so I'm guessing my standard for "good" is not going to take a whole lot to meet either.

5. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Sounds like there's nothing to dislike. Twin cylinders gotta be smooth on the highway compared to an XR650. Top heavy means it will ride with a spirited and flickable nature, you'll just not want to push it around the garage. No nanny features is definitely a plus.
    I shoulda watched the vid to see what they had to say, but the title made it sound like negativity and I'll not have anyone badmouthin' a Yamaha. :D

6. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I have one that I've put about 10K miles on in Europe. I'm glad I bought it, but its not perfect for my use. I'm over 6' tall and the bike is wayyyyy too tall and top heavy. Motor and chassis are great. Good reliable Japanese engineering and components. I'm hoping to get 100K miles out of it in Europe, but I do wish it was 50 lbs lighter, lower center of gravity and generally just not as tall. When you're in loose stuff or sand, it feels like the ground is way down there. People also have problems picking them up from falls.

I recommended it to a buddy who bought one, but he's terrified to take if off road because its so tall.

7. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

I never did too long of a ride, but didn't enoy the seat on the hour long rides I did.

8. Once a Wanker..

I remember that my 2 hour rides on my WR250R were not all that comfortable, but a LOT of fun in the N. GA mountains!

9. Once a Wanker..

It's an awesome bike with a superb motor and I'd wanted one for years, as they were rumored long ago. I'd demo-ridden one at Daytona '21, and couldn't wait to get my hands on mine!
    That being said, I sold mine with only 540 miles on it. I was street riding it regularly when I first got it. Had a stupid brain-fart 5 mph u-turn tip over, and decided soon after that it wasn't the bike I had thought it would be, for me. I'd bought the lowering links, and was looking into all sorts of accessories for it, but I realized after picking it up, that at my age, etc, I'm no longer cut out for a heavy, super-powerful, tall dirt bike. I'm 5'9" now..
    Just sold my super clean one 4 weeks ago, for $11,500.

motion likes this.
  10. acorn27

Well I picked her up today. It’s a real nice used ‘21. Can’t wait for some rain to clean the shit salt and brine off the roads to get to know this bike! And then spend tons of money on extras lol

malamute, beac83, stk0308 and 2 others like this.
  11. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Congrats!

One finger clutch mod is the best bang for your buck.

acorn27 and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  12. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

Don't wait, it's a big damn durtbike, it's supposed to get dirty! lol Congrats, and have fun.

acorn27 likes this.
  13. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Never closed the loop on this - here's the email and pics from my mechanic.

"[Dumbass],

Got an update. Good news and bad news. Bad news first, those motors have a plastic oil pump drive gear. (Don’t ask me why …) and yours failed (warped), which is what caused the failure.

The good news is that it failed in such a way that the only thing that really got smoked was the head. Entire bottom end, and rotating assembly are actually in great condition, but the head is trash. Which is super uncommon when those let go. Usually, the rotating assembly is trashed too.

The seizing was the intake cam.

I’ve got a few pictures for you. Anyway, that’s where we’re at. Parts are ordered and we’ll swap the clutch while we’re at it. Most likely, I have a buyer for the Recluse clutch (if you want to sell it) that will help offset the bill.

And I believe the gear position sensor is what’s up with the other bike. It doesn’t test out correctly and the throttle needs that signal in the loop to know what to do. I have a new one on the way to me. I’ll let you know when we get it in."

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

15. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

T700 Extreme (more dirt) and Touring (lower) versions announced today for Europe. Not sure if coming to 'Merica.

16. This old Rz

This old Rz Well-Known Member

I don't have an adventure bike I would like to get one.
    But I'll be honest they're all just way way too big at least for me in my 50s.
    My good friend bought an Africa twin a couple years ago and you sit on that thing like you're up in the stratosphere?
    It's an awesome machine but unless you're like a very skilled talented writer with great knees strong shoulders and a back... Going off road seems absolutely detrimental.
    A man who owns a local motorcycle shop up here used to be a Honda dealer for years he has the big 10 Ray and he's gone all over the country into Alaska on it but he said he desperately wants to get the 700 but it's still not that much lighter....
    I did not read this whole thread but my prospect of going long distances probably isn't that great so I'd love to pick up an old xr400 or something problem is would be nice to do a 100 or 200 mile ride I just don't think they're suited for it a lot of people say they are but I really don't want to spend $2,000 for top end rebuilds on high strung four strokes?
    My infield is great but I can't drive it on the freeway or even a fast road it's suicide.
    I know some of you have the klrs but again they're darn heavy..... It would be nice to be able to get on some of the California interstates and not feel like you're going to be smashed like a bug.
    How is it in the other states cuz I know in California people regularly do 80 90 miles an hour wherever it's open so you're definitely restricted to the slow Lanes

17. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

TW200.
    Stay off the Interstates.

18. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Gen 1 KLR650 is still the measuring stick for ADV bikes. Does everything. Weight is not bad. Carries it relatively low.

19. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

The people I've met in your position with a KLR all seem to be very happy with their choice. It's right in the middle of highway comfort and off road capability, without being ridiculously heavy.

20. This old Rz

This old Rz Well-Known Member

Yeah the tw200 are an awesome machine they're almost perfect just not for a lot of interstate use but the prices reflect their "Cult following"
    The KLR... I think pretty sums it up my problem is I've been talking to too many people who ride KTMs with their noses in the air...
    there's a reason that bike has been around for 30 years.... In the long run I wouldn't be surprised to see a early 2000 KLR outlast any of the new KTMs...
    And the prices of a KLR are definitely on point for somebody like me I just look at things kind of practical "don't quote me on that though":crackup: