1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So who are the Adv riders here?

Discussion in 'General' started by rd400racer, Mar 19, 2018.

1. Big T

Big T Well-Known Member

350 is 300 lb, 650 is 370 lb

No question the 650 is more freeway capable, but the 350 is just a perfect low key dual sport aka the Tractor

2. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

My participation in that conversation would be limited as I know less about products for which I'm not willing to extend my reach than AI.

3. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

When I was in your situation I bought a KTM 500excf and added some adventure farkles. I had it for years with no problems. Now I have a Ducati Multistrada 1260 enduro. My riding buddies have GS’s, so my needs changed from the KTM. I did love that thing though.

4. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

After the purchase, barring a warranty claim I generally don't go back to the dealer?

5. fastfreddie

I concur, but it's nice not to have to drive any length of time if it's necessary.
    The other aspect is supporting a brick-n-mortar dealership. Finding parts online when you know that what you're searching for exists is one thing. When you're looking for something specific that isn't on most people's radar is another...these people spend a lot of time flipping through multiple supply resources every day and may know a thing or two. They're not likely to bombard you with a buncha Beeb BS about why you're looking for such-n-such and the face-to-face exchange of info is more immediate. If I'm gonna waste time talking to anyone about parts, I'm gonna do it with the parts department of my nearest dealers...where they can immediately place an order and I don't have to give it another thought.

6. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

It seems there is a pretty big discrepancy in what y’all consider a ADV bike and what most do….
    XR’L, DR’s EXC’s are all dual sport bikes. Stuff suitable for single track trail 82 type stuff.
    Would hate the thought of spending a 350 mile day in the saddle of one. If I wanna ride a dirt bike I ride my TX300….
    If I wanna throw stuff in the bags, the wife on the back and go ride the forest service roads and mountain roads and spend all day doing it I’ll ride the GSA and go anywhere I need to that’s not single track trail.

JMO

stk0308, 5axis and 418 like this.
  7. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

oh wow, that's a huge difference. I wouldn't want to be on either one of them on the interstate anyhow.

8. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

This thread is basically about all the shades of grey for streetable bikes that can be ridden off-road. There's plenty of trails that are labeled as "adventure" but not everyone would want to take a +500lb bike through them, whether it be for skill, physique, or desire. I've done the KAT on an enduro, supermoto and ADV bike. Each time it was an awesome adventure.

9. 5axis

5axis Well-Known Member

10. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Did the KAT on a 950 Super Enduro with camping gear. In the rain. The organics filled, deep, long, stinky, nasty mud "holes" (is it a hole if it is nearly 1/4 mile long?) were no fun on a big bike. And, there were one or two other spots that were very challenging on a fully loaded big bike. But, it was an adventure. I think my 500EXC is better suited to the KAT.

Britt?

Cheers,

Dave

cBJr likes this.
  11. Big T

Big T Well-Known Member

Yep, all sizes. Mondo Enduro went around the world on DR 350s. Itchy Boots is going everywhere on a CRF 300 Rally. 2 guys did the Washington BDR on old Gold Wings. Ewan M dropped his BMW 30eleven times on The Long Way Down (its good to have a crew). The MotoBrothers went from Washington to Tierra del Fuego to Buenos Aires on 650 V Stroms. 972 Breakdowns went from Germany, across Asia and North America on Urals.

Which one chose the correct bike? That's up to you. Me? I take the ATK 490 DS for fun rides, the DRz400 for long rides and the DR 350 for exploring

cBJr and motion like this.
  12. 5axis

5axis Well-Known Member

Did a Lectron upgrade last fall and it runs like a champ.
    Looking forward to the TWAT and some other rides this summer.

icecream640ed888.jpg icecream640ed888.jpg

cBJr likes this.
  13. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Yeah, KAT on BigBikes loaded was "Fun"...or atleast the one we rode..I'm seeing different versions, I'd take the 625 next time Dave and I go..

I've done both Tellico 81 and 82 on my 950 Adv..and Singles (625/640)..more fun on Singles, more challenging on BigBikes.

14. acorn27

acorn27 4 out of 3 people in the world struggle with math

Looking at doing the Smoky Mountains 500 this summer. Anyone done it? Would like to take the T7 on this one, but could take my WR250 too. There's lots of good info on the route on ADVRider and they have a FB page as well. Just curios of any local experience here.

15. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I've come to the conclusion that I'm not what you'd call an ADV rider. Yesterday my son, brother and I did 250 miles through the hills of southern Indiana. Me on GSA, son on a Super Tenere and my brother on a 1st gen FZ1 with luggage. My son and brother are both hardcore mountain bikers. We hit about a 4 mile stretch of gravel road and both of them are gone. Here I am struggling to stay upright and my brother is a mile ahead on a pure street bike. I think I'm going to start looking at Multistrada's or the Suzuki V Strom 1050.

16. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

What tires on the GSA? My 1190 with road tires was miserable on gravel. With a decent tire you can ride it pretty quick off road though. That said, if I wasn't beating on it offroad, I'd bet I'd prefer a Multistrada to my 1190.

17. fastfreddie

EFF THAT!
    But a TW there would be too easy. :D

18. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Agree 100% EfffffThat.. (but there are BailOuts).

Imagine some smart ass with a paint brush and a can of white paint "adding marks"...to NO Where.

19. brex

brex Well-Known Member

That's actually happened in Moab.

20. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

They're Shinko 705's, probably 80/20 tires. I felt like I was squirelling all over that gravel. My brother was railing on a street bike with street tires :D