1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So I have to know who the retard is...

Discussion in 'General' started by d-wire, Aug 28, 2012.

1. HPPT

HPPT !!!

When you get into more advanced flight training and start working on instrument flying, they teach you to disregard all signals from your body and only rely on what the instruments tell you. There is no way in hell I would try that on the racetrack. When my sphincter tightens up, I'm squeezing the brakes no matter how many brake markers I see. :D

2. mike w

mike w Knarf's buddy

:stupid:
    I agree
    Think the only time I ever even noticed brake markers was at Elkart and thats only because I ventured up to one to watch Kipp go into one and used them as a reference to see how far he went in

3. gixxersmitty

gixxersmitty Well-Known Member

No it wasnt. I was at the rider's meeting early, listened to everything that was said, and even stayed after to ask the race director( I assume that is his job, he does what Bargy did) if there was anything we could do to get the radio transmitter working so we could use the radio. We couldnt hear the loudspeaker. I spoke with him on two occasions on Sunday letting him know that we couldn't hear the loudspeaker and the second time to let him know we couldnt get the radio tuned in. He told me there wasnt anything that could be done, just try to pay close attention to what races are currently be run and adjust accordingly.

I'm not trying to throw him under the bus. He was as helpful to me as he could be. I just dont think it's right to tell riders that they should have listened to the announcements when Wera officials were informed on multiple occassions that the announcements werent reaching the entire paddock.

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'm sorry but we can't control the PA nor can we control where you choose to park. As the thread shows, a lot of riders did hear the announcements.

5. gixxersmitty

Parking wasnt a choice. I got the first available place I came to. We both saw the turnout this weekend.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Sorry but yes it was, there was a lot of open room in the paddock even with this many riders. The paddock is more than twice the size of the old one and parts that were always used with the old layout were completely empty.

7. gixxersmitty

I wish I had never even read this thread. I'm going to consider myself fortunate that I only have a badly contused hand and foot and minor cosmetic damage to the bike from the crash. Hopefully the other handful of guys who cooked that turn and crashed faired as well as I did and heal up quick.

8. Daniel06

Daniel06 Well-Known Member

Smitty, I'll try and help out.

Next time I do a trackday there I'll let the owners know that the pa and radio works like shit. I know they already know, but I'll let them know that it will cost them business in the future. I'll make sure they realize how critical the announcements are to us biker types.
    Like I said, I know they know, but I'll stress it good ole boy to good ole boy. Maybe we can get it fixed.

9. cannonballcobb

cannonballcobb Registered Offender

What was the deal with the FM 90.1 not broadcasting?

10. gixxersmitty

The official told me the equipment was old and didnt work all that well. The only solution for it was to get a new one. I asked because I thought maybe it needed an antenna put up or something. That or maybe they had it on and thought it was working when it wasnt.

11. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

That just doesnt make sense because as the program goes on, the tracks usually get quite a bit faster with more and more rubber put down.....

So therefore usuall one can go into a corner harder in the heat race than in practice.

Same for features. Thats why you see fast guys checking the track out before each run to make last minute gearing changes and tire changes.....

12. gixxersmitty

I mentioned it to the guys at the gate as well when I came back from dinner Saturday night.

I'm not saying equipment should have been bought and added on the spot. To be realistic, when somebody started wanting to make changes, officials should have said, "listen, we've already been told that people are having trouble hearing announcements. It would probably be in everyone's best interest to leave things that arent a current safety issue as they've been all weekend and look at making the changes the next time we race here."

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Worked on Saturday, not on Sunday - absolutely no clue why. The FM transmitter is new and should be fine.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

As I have said repeatedly, I agree and it won't happen again. I can keep repeating it if it'll help any.

15. We couldn't get the cals on the radio inside the TH or out and we tried all 3 days. Wasn't an issue where we were pitted. But it still woulda been handy to have it on the radio inside the TH.

16. cannonballcobb

cannonballcobb Registered Offender

I wasn't able to receive any signal on 90.1 again yesterday, or any other frequency...

PA was again difficult to hear at best. The owners of Tally can and should do better, especially with the $5 increase on Sunday's gate fee.

Now, who ever was in charge of Sunday's weather, my hat's off-great job!

17. bitchcakes

bitchcakes reluctant member

Did the transmitter come from the same vendor that supplies the WERA pens?

D:D:

18. Inst Tech

Inst Tech ain't no half steppin

hang on a sec. somebody that held a riders meeting actually stated that markers had been moved back before the race? you guys are jokin right?

19. crazywolf450r

crazywolf450r Well-Known Member

Last year. Yes. Moved the markers in deeper on lunch break. :rolleyes:

20. DrA5

DrA5 The OTHER Great Dane

Road America used to have "Tent Board" brake markers that were set on the grass next to the track, but the lawn mowers kept moving them, so they ended up being affixed to the fence or guardrail now.