1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So, here's a crap piece of legislation from the GOP...

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Lawn Dart, May 3, 2017.

1. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

It is what definitely gotten worse in the last 20 years.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You live in Russia now?

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

So what is this comp time and vacation time you guys are talking about? I get paid my salary and have to work until I'm done working. Normal days are 8ish hours, event days are 12+. Last day off was 3 weeks ago I think, last vacation was....I honestly have no clue. 5 years maybe?

4. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Siberia or Minneapolis area. What's the difference...:D

pickled egg likes this.
  5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Well, ones a foreign country the other is Canadia :D

crashman likes this.
  6. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

You love it though, right? Like, what would you do if you weren't doing this?

For most of us, maybe we loved it at some point, or maybe we fell into, or did it because the money was good. I used to love what I do, and I still do some days, but its now just a job. It provides a way for me to pay bills and do things that I care about doing until I can find something else - better or different, to do.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Overall yes I do still like it, love it too at times. There are a lot of times I'm just flat out tired of it all too. It's been a long 26 years of doing it full time and 30 of doing it altogether. I don't make much money, upside is I don't have a lot of time to spend it either :D The hours and travel wear you out, don't see any end result or retirement so it gets to me at times. The majority of the customers are great but there are enough that aren't to make that end tough too. Other times I get to watch a group of riders have a great time like last weekend at Road Atlanta and it does prove it's worth doing because it does make others truly happy.

I really need to figure out the vacation thing - part of that is my own fault with having the pups, don't want to put them in jail. All we really do is extend trips to events if we can like staying in a state park for a few days on the Gulf on the way to NOLA last year. But mainly we both need some blocks of time totally away from the business.

Lawn Dart likes this.
  8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Oh yeah - if I weren't doing this I'd probably go back to the bar/restaurant biz. More like managing or owning at this point than full time in the kitchen. It wouldn't necessarily be less hours but it would at least be different :D

9. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

I've often thought of what would I do if I wasn't in IT. I truly have no idea.

I found my love of the stock market too late in life. If I was younger, I could see getting into the trading industry now that I know more about how it works. Forget Wall Street - some of the private trading firms in Chicago look like really great places to work.

10. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Welcome to being self employed and 'rich' LOL

I will say though as an enginerd I chuckle at people stating hours work like teachers. In engineering there are basically two types IMO. There are those that do OK and put in their day and go home. Then there is the ones who 'are' engineers. In off time they make stuff, read tech books and in general tinker. The second group are generally a lot better at what they do. And while they put in more hours than group one they enjoy it more. Similar to being self employed.

Of course unlike Hillary if I bring my work home I will likely be penned up with all fun and enjoyment revoked for a few years (or life). So parallel technologies only :beer:

cav115 likes this.
  11. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

You must build bathroom email servers. :D

12. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

I could tell you but don't want to drive to the polar north to kill you.... Now if a friend MN has sheltie puppies...... you might be able to find out for a short time :beer:

13. badmoon692008

badmoon692008 Well-Known Member

We usually get the opportunity to take either OT or Comp time at work but it's not really an official stance, just an understanding. Comp time is taken as straight time, as it's basically like you took the work you would have done when you took off the day you worked extra... OT is 1.5.

XFBO likes this.
  14. badmoon692008

badmoon692008 Well-Known Member

My girlfriend works 12 hour shifts as a nurse and frequently picks up a shift before or after making it 16 hours... I don't know how she/anyone does it. When we do 9 hour days for summer hours I'm itching to get out by the end of the day.

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It does help to have a job that isn't putting the same part into the same widget all day long. Race days go by pretty quickly.

cav115 and Lawn Dart like this.