1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shield Fogging

Discussion in 'Tech' started by wheelz96, Apr 8, 2021.

1. wheelz96

wheelz96 Well-Known Member

The last couple of race wknds for me have been in the rain and I fear the same for this weekend. I have been struggling with my shield fogging and was wondering what products you guys use if any?

I do have a pinlock..

2. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

What brand model of helmet?

3. wheelz96

AGV Corsa R

4. DmanSlam

DmanSlam Well-Known Member

You didn't mention what you have tried. Have you tried a breath guard for your helmet model? They make aftermarket ones as well.

Also use anti-fogging on the inside of the face shield. They work best when applied in layers (like car wax), imo. They also wear off quickly.

While you're at it, throw some Rain-X on the outside of the face shield. At speed, you need only turn your head left or right to "wipe" your shield clear.

5. DmanSlam

DmanSlam Well-Known Member

And, last, you probably already learned this but: whatever you do, do not crack open your face shield while you're racing in the rain.

6. wheelz96

I do exactly the opposite when I race in the rain... Only way I can see is to open visor, release the fog and close it back up... I tried an anti fog product which I think made it worse.

What I know is I'm not the only one struggling with this and we all are on the same playing field... Other viable option is to just say no to racing in the rain lol

7. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

Is it possible to install a pinlock wrong? Ive used that on an Arai and HJC. It fixed all fogging in rain and fog.

8. wheelz96

I'm sure it's possible. My old helmet (same model) has the pinlock and it's much better. I thought about that and I may mess with the placement of the pinlock. I also realized my lower chin vent was closed. The slider is located on the inside of the helmet and I didn't realize it till after last wknd. Nothing worse then looking thru small areas of my shield to see where I'm going haha!

9. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

It's absolutely possible to install a Pinlock wrong. However, possibly more likely - a little-known fact is that Pinlocks wear out. Their water-repellent coating eventually wears off and the Pinlock piece needs to be replaced. Most likely all you need is a new Pinlock.

10. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

2 zip ties around the neck of the helmet eliminates this issue. leaves a gap big enough for fog free vision.

wheelz96 likes this.