1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Serpentine belt help???

Discussion in 'General' started by GixxerJohn011, Dec 17, 2023.

1. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

So I changed the water pump and belts on my ‘13 F150 yesterday and now the belt wants to jump over one groove. Everything is torqued to the point I feel like 1 more foot pound will break the bolts off in the block. I put the old belt on and it still jumps.

Help me come up with a solution other than the new shaft is slightly longer than the old one…I’d rather not do this all over again. The old shaft was FUBAR’ed…could the old pulley be jacked up because of the shaft/bearing on the old pump? To my eye it doesn’t wobble but my 40’itous eyes are a pretty poor runout gauge. I’m throwing shit at the wall at this point to not spend another evening throwing parts at it. Any ideas other than try another pump?

2. bergs

bergs Well-Known Member

Run a straight edge across the face of the pulleys to see if something is offset, crooked, etc.

Another thing I'd check is the grooves in the pulleys and belts to ensure there isn't debris built up.

Next I'd hand-crank the engine to see exactly where the belt starts to jump and look into that specific location.

All washers and spacers confirmed to be in their correct locations?

BigBird likes this.
  3. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

Thanks for ideas. I ended up running a straight edge on it…long story short I let everything get to temp then pulled the pulley off, it was straight and clean. With some heat in the motor I found a few more turns in the bolts and now it all lines up. Happy days!!! Added bonus, I got out of Christmas shopping because I need to fix the truck! Now to switch from beer to whiskey and light a cigar. I love it when things work out!

Edit…there isn’t a gasket just an oring. I guess it was tight enough to seal but not fully seated to line up :confused:

4. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Are we talking about the same truck here? The truck
    that still needs a little more work? The one that you're
    this close to getting fixed right? The truck that you just
    might get a text providing a possible answer to the
    problem that's been driving you crazy at any time?
    And which might entail a trip to the garage?

Don't throw this one away too early, son.

GixxerJohn011 likes this.