1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School me on Minnesota

Discussion in 'General' started by Captain Poo Poo Pants III, Jun 13, 2017.

1. I'm entertaining a job offer in Richfield, MN. My shop is doing well here but this offer definitely has piqued my interest.

Things I know:
    Cold in the winter
    Humid in the summer
    Mosquitos
    Large state fair
    Minnesota "nice"
    Housing is 50% of what it is here if not cheaper
    Schools for my daughter look amazing
    Flat. Very flat.

We would be moving from Long Beach, CA. I grew up in NY, I've lived in Illinois for 2 winters and I've been sent to Cincinnati for work before. I know all about cold. I would be moving before my wife and daughter while staying in Fridley with a friend for 3ish months. My wife is totally on board and wants to move.

Racing? Dirty bikes? Ice racing? Flat track?

Anything other info is appreciated. Nothing is definite but I'm gathering info just in case.

2. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

Everything I know about Minnesota I learned from Fargo and Purple Rain.

3. Sprinky

Sprinky Well-Known Member

Not nearly as flat as IL.

Less fake boobs than LA.

Awesome neighboring state to the East

Ripping a snowmobile through the woods is an OK substitute for riding. Ice riding / racing is even better.

4. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

Not a bike friendly place because of the weather. Riding/racing season is pretty much from May to September, maybe early October at the very best. BIR is pretty much the track to go to. CRA races there, and ZARS does track days there. Aside from that there is nothing else in the vicinity. You'll have to drive 7+ hours to Wisconsin and Illinois for more, or south to Nebraska. They do have ice racing around during the winter which looks like fun if you have a dirt bike and want to set it up for that. Also snowmobiling of course.

Also, I know you said "you know all about cold", but if you've been in Ohio and Illinois, I'm sorry but you don't. You haven't experienced true cold until you go to MN or North Dakota lol

5. Sprinky

Oh yeah, they do talk a little funny

R1Racer99 likes this.
  6. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

all i know is... buy that snowmobile dirtbike conversion kit because snowbike looks like one of the best things ever in a wintery place. but also dude, on our cross country bike trip we found some DOPE roads to rip on in Wisconsin. close enough i guess to have some wandering adventures.

7. Sprinky

The Alphabet roads (county highways) in SW Wisco are some of the best in the country.

Sweatypants likes this.
  8. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

Putter, Pickled Egg and Caustic Yarn live there. That should be enough to keep you away.

9. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

Don't do it.

10. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Wow, thats a tough line-up!

11. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Doing good in Cali, especially Long Beach?

Im no Cali guy because of politics, but if i could muster a decent living there, the paycheck in MN would have to look like a 1-800 number for me to take the hit on weather alone.

Good luck in your decision!

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
    omatter34 and zjay like this.
  12. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Grouse. Lots and lots of grouse.

Sprinky likes this.
  13. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

How hot is your wife? ;)

14. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Racing is CRA. A good little club that races BIR short course and the proper long course as well as Road America with the other org. Blackhawk isn't too bad of a drive.
    Dirtbiking, a good selection of public land but mostly a little ways north(Nemaji is about an hour and a half up 35). There's a couple mx tracks around and District 23 is the local club for that. Some flat track too.
    There is some ice racing as well as a few groups that just ride on weekend.

You can definitely keep busy with stuff to do. Street riding, head over towards or into Wisconsin. Its not the mountains, but its not flat.

What/where is your offer in Richfield, if you don't mind me asking. My first thought is 2K's.

15. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

Lots of great camping. Lake Superior and the North Shore. Duluth is a cool town.
    Lot's of good craft beer if that's your thing.
    Snowmobiling is hit or miss. Miss the last two years.

First Thursdays at Dulono's pizza

Cars and Coffee

Chad lives here so there is that... :)

The ride up 1 from Illgen City to Ely is fantastic. Just don't go in the fall when all the leave lickers are out...

16. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

He can put that in the + column. :D

17. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

Brainerd
    Road America

Both close.

18. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

You betcha, dontcha know.

19. Sprinky

Bringa hot dish to pass eh

CRA_Fizzer and Rising like this.
  20. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

And it's (Sauna) pronounced Sownah not Sawnah... You're not cutting wood.