1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School me on investing...

Discussion in 'General' started by noles19, Nov 8, 2017.

1. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Not in the panem column, but certainly a tally in the circenses.

2. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

3. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Can someone explain ZIM to me? Like- why isn't the stock price way higher with a p/e of .5 and an 80% annual dividend???

4. auminer

Bah! I smashed it in 4 today! :moon:

Jedb likes this.
  5. auminer

I'm not at all familiar with the stock, but those are utterly unsustainable numbers. Particularly that dividend.

I'll give it an exhaustive 2 minute drilldown when I get home.

6. Tristan

Some youtuber said they pay out like 50% of their profits in dividends

7. auminer

Worm in the apple found:

Previous years/quarters have had positive earnings, which, as mentioned, have been paid as dividends to shareholders. Earnings guidance is for losses over the foreseeable future quarters. Ergo: no dividend.

Is this a buying opportunity for a patient investor? Who knows. I did see a yuuuuge increase in their losses from financing cash flow. I didn't dig into that, but I'd guess that explains the forecast losses.

Figure out the why of that, and I'd bet you'd have a better idea of the long term outlook.

Tristan likes this.
  8. Tristan

So... I bought a bit of this since I caught wind of it right before the ex-div date. $1100 into it, 3 days later value dropped $265 however it paid dividend of $300. Realistically a net loss considering taxes, but we'll see how it goes.

9. auminer

Holy shit on a shingle!

This post certainly didn’t age well! :eek:

I just went poking around ebay and a couple of reddit threads looking for a place to spend a couple of hundred bucks I had to accept PayPal for... Jeeeeeezus junk silver has gotten stoopid all of a sudden. 30x face seems to be about as good as it gets on fleabay, 21x was the best I saw available on reddit. Looks like you might still be able to get sub-20 on reddit pmsforsale if you're quick.

I'ma just wait until we talk to our professional and find out if we can still put it into our self directed IRAs now that the missus got that promotion and yuuuuuuge (bigly) raise.

First world problems. :D

10. Tristan

How in the actual fuck do you guys that trade a lot do your taxes? Since we've been filing jointly the wife has been handling the taxes (only fair since she makes more thus enjoys more benefit from filing jointly) but last night she threw her hands up and demanded I look at them. Got my 1099-b and had no trouble importing it to the tax program, but on most of the sales the cost basis line says "n/a" instead of the actual costs. Using Etrade- since I don't hardly ever sell anything, there was only a few trades and using the "gains and losses" tab I was able to figure out the cost basis. I can only imagine if I was a more active trader and maybe had more than the 2 accounts I have what an absolute nightmare it would be... Is this an Etrade problem or common with other brokers?

11. R1M370

R1M370 Dr. P Ness

Fidelity provides me with detailed 1099-b and 1099-div forms, never an issue with tax filings.

12. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

13. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

im with etrade also and they sent me a 1065 k1

14. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Andrew Gelman would murder that graph.

SuddenBraking likes this.
  15. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

My PDFs from Etrade have a summary page that makes it super easy.

16. Trainwreck

Trainwreck I could give a heck

TD sends me 1099's for all the stuff I do.

17. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

Check the YouTube thread

18. BigBird

BigBird blah

19. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

20. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

OK I finally bit on RIVN :beer:

ChemGuy likes this.