1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Schedule change

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by Hate McDead, Dec 17, 2013.

1. Hate McDead

Hate McDead Well-Known Member

Looks like the VMD event has been changed. Apparently AMA/DMG had scheduled their Mid-Ohio pro event the same week end as WSB at Laguna. So, slam-bam. VMD and AMA swap week ends.

http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com...d-Ohio_Sports_Car_Course_July_11-13_2014.aspx

http://www.roadracingworld.com/news...ge-motorcycle-days-swap-weekends-at-mid-ohio/

This nonsense can be laid at the doorstep of DMG for scheduling their race at Mid-O the same weekend as WSB at Laguna. DMG most likely knew the WSB date but scheduled their race anyway.......until........ it became apparent that they would be a pathetic sideshow to WSB on that same week end.

The reason it sucks is that WERA VMD round is the same week end as AHRMA's New Jersey round. So it will negatively impact the attendance at Mid-Ohio for us since a large draw to VMD came from the East Coast. So rather than schdule both, racers will have to choose.

Bummer really. It seems that the event could or should have been moved to the other end of the AMA/DMG week end to open up the event for VMD vintage racing contestants to be able to go to bothe NJ and M-O.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
  2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The WSB date was known as of the 2013 WSB round....

I'm not sure AMA knew about NJMP with the flurry of activity between them and DMG to get this handled. We talked to them about it and I know it just never crossed my mind to check.

As for the other end of the week, this was the other end - Mid-Ohio has that 8-10 blocked off for motorcycle racing road and otherwise.

Definitely sucks. I've let the AMA peeps know, not sure they can change much though. Mid-Ohio has been really great so far.

3. Hate McDead

So if the WSB date was known since the last Laguna date then why would DMG schedule their AMA on the date to begin with? Or why would they even care if the WSB and AMA are on the same week ends? It's not like there's going to be a conflict with TV coverage.
    I just think it sucks because WERA has worked hard to build up the VMD racing event and there will be a loss of entrants with the AHRMA conflict. This could have been prevented had AMA and DMG used their heads and consulted WERA as to all this.

4. brettmvh

brettmvh Member

I don't race, WERA or our regional series in Ontario Canada, but now I have to decide mid ohio track days, or the superbike weekend. I had talked to the track and their track days were Monday, Tuesday. Lined up perfectly, to watch the weekend, and ride the track days. It's much to far to do both. Now to decide.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Absolutely no idea - and from the Mid-Ohio end I'd expect the sanctioning body to keep an eye on their own industry.

Well, normally DMG runs support races at Laguna.

Sad but oh so true.

AMA Ohio has done more than we have but we'd like to think we've helped. We have been talking to AMA about it and about the switch and I said, I blew it on catching the AHRMA thing, I only looked at our events. It absolutely does suck for all of us.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

There is a chance of the track days leading into the pro races - don't give up hope just yet.

7. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Sean, does this affect the WERA 16-17 dates?

8. Hate McDead

One of the sink holes:
    Sidecars. The Loudon contingent is planning on a big showdown at NJ.
    Now I can't ogle those girls.
    Mongo. This is a disaster!!!

9. bj

bj Well-Known Member

VMD has always been a premier vintage event and now the field is going to be seriously diluted. AHRMA must be thrilled at seeing DMG help them draw the East Coast racers. It going to be hard for many to justify driving over 1000 miles to go to Mid-O when NJMP less than 100 miles away. This is truly an unfortunate turn of events.

10. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

I would rather race with WERA than the AMA. Keep your dates Sean! It is a shame to cut the weekend, poor planning (by others) for sure.

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It might - I'll know more this week and will let everyone know as soon as we do.

12. YAM#849

YAM#849 y'all watch this...

This sucks. AHRMA and NJMP purposely worked to schedule our event NOT on top of VMD to the best of our knowledge at the time. As it turned out we thought some vintage racers might travel distances to do both the AHRMA and VMD events in one trip. Now that possibility is gone.

13. hinshaw929

hinshaw929 Well-Known Member

Agreed - exactly what I had in mind.

14. Crybaby™

Crybaby™ Well-Known Member

Quick question on the 7/16-7/17 dates. It's listed as a DH for the National and the NC Region. How does that work? Or is that how you show the normal 1st day (7/16) is Regional and the 2nd (7/17) is National?

Also, I'm not sure what Mid-Ohio's schedule is the week of July 7th-10th, but are you looking at the possibility of moving WERA to the week before (7/9-7/10)? For the NC region it sure would make for a packed week of racing, but I'm OK with that. The National guys would actually gain a little time to get out to Miller. A nice touch and probably better attendance wise for Mid-Ohio would be to move/add Monday/Tuesday track days to 7/7-7/8.

I'm thinking a few people might run the 7/5-7/6 PIRC round, go directly to Mid-Ohio, setup to run 1 or 2 track days and then the WERA round, then if there is a class, run VMD. That would be real interesting for my SV friends to have 6 days of racing in a 9 day period.

If you add/flip the 7/5-7/6 PIRC round to the NE/Mid-Atlantic region, a few of them may find it more time efficient to do three long travel rounds in the same trip.

Just thinking out loud and given your above statement, probably something you are already contemplating.

Edit: Didn't realize this was in the Vintage section. Since I actually did a search for it. Might want to move/add this discussion to the general

Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
  15. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Five days straight including a weekend was max time off for me. 9 days in a row would be way too much. I would never be able to do all of them. Pesky work thing would get in the way! Oh, and the Mrs. wouldn't appreciate it either. I can imagine how the conversation would go:

Me: I am going to go racing for 9 days straight. 2 at PRC and 7 at Mid Ohio.

Her: That's fine, why don't you stay at Mid Ohio a little longer.

Me: Really?!

Her: Sure, permanently......

Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
  16. kanatuna

kanatuna You can't polish a turd..

^^^ No way, Amy would never say that?!?! lol

This is a mess. I love VMD at Mid O. Usually my favorite event each year... I'd hate to see the entrants dwindle due to poor planning.

So is this another reason to justifiably be really angry at AMA/DMG? I'm kind of pissed.

17. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Thank you.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

There was/is a discussion in general but nothing to add to it yet so here is fine.

We are looking at all the possibilities including before VMD and I like the PIRC in NE/MA, thanks for the suggestion.

Right now we're all still working on it and we'll let you know once we have anything sorted. Ev's on the phone about it at this very second even....

The DH format for that one was going to be nationals and regionals combined both days - so two days of points for each series.

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I honestly don't know. It's not our event so not sure who proposed the original dates. I'm not pissed right now, just bummed.

20. JJJerry

JJJerry Well-Known Member

Anybody know a good divorce lawyer? I'm probably going to need them around mid-July.