1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

safety wire

Discussion in 'Tech' started by stealth 52, Mar 18, 2008.

1. stealth 52

stealth 52 Yank

do the header bolts need to be safety wired.

2. georgiadawg

georgiadawg Elbows Out

nope, i did it though....hell if it's something i don't want coming off i either safety wired it or siliconed it.

3. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

:stupid: not required anymore, but, IMO, SHOULD be. Even back when it was required, including the springs that hold the header pipes onto the collets, ive had my springs break going into T1 and my headers (all 4 pipes) dropped down into my belly pan. At a 150mph, entering the braking zone and have THAT happen, thinking your motor just blew up is scarey as hell!!!!

4. stealth 52

stealth 52 Yank

thanks fella's

5. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

You had all 4 headers "fall off" your engine at the same time???? :confused:

6. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

at about the start/finish, i heard my engine get louder, in the seconds to follow, it got progressivly louder (as each header was popping off), and just before the brake markers is when the 4th finally dropped off, i thought the motor had blown, so i immediately went far left, but there was no way i was gonna go off the track at 150, so i rode the very edge till i could get it slowed enough to go straight off into the grass. What was happening was the springs on the Hindle pipe all decided to break, allowing each headpipe to come off, one at a time. Yea, freaky thing to happen, but it did happen, even the cornerworker was like "damn! never seen THAT before!"

Needless to say, i got back to the pits, put all that shit back together, saftey wired it, and have made sure theyre ALWAYS wired, as part of my inspection of the bike before i load it up on the trailer and head to the track.

7. Quik208

Quik208 Well-Known Member

Thats a crazy story! Glad it didnt turn out bad!