1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RV Windshield Gasket replacement

Discussion in 'General' started by sheepofblue, Mar 13, 2021.

1. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

I need a new gasket in the RV window. A class A with split window and the gasket is pulling in half (age) but the glass on both sides is good.

Any advice on how to find an installer? If anyone is local even better (Huntsville AL). I got in contact with one of these internet we do the nation but the price seemed high and for an old RV (2003) not sure it made sense to do.

Thanks for any help in advance.

2. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Ask your insurer who they contract to do RV glass. Last time I had to replace a windshield... I just had to pay for the gasket...which was about $100...
    Also if you need to remove or install any odd sized things that dont fit thru the entry door... when the windshield is removed is the time to do that! :D

sheepofblue likes this.
  3. sheepofblue

I got minimal insurance through Progressive as it is paid for.

4. TurboBlew

You could ask them for a referral versus making a claim... that way you get jobber cost vs retail. 1/2 my windshield was being replaced along with the gasket so I wanted
    new gaskets on both sides... You may have to get the gasket on your own just depends on the glass guy. They typically specialize in RV/Truck/Bus glass.

sheepofblue likes this.
  5. sheepofblue

Do you remember what they charged? I called a we do nationwide RV but the estimate was 2K+ with no new glass. Sound high.

6. TurboBlew

I want to say the side and gasket was $600 on the cost to insurance. I paid the $100 for the opposite side gasket. No additional labor. 2k is camel ass high...

sheepofblue likes this.
  7. sheepofblue

Thanks I thought it was insane. When I first spotted it I figure 500+ for both gaskets using my glass. When he said 2K+ I figured no way. I don't want to cobble it but I have to factor what it is worth vs the repair

8. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

Sounds high, but then who is going to.pay for the new windshield if they happen to Crack the old one while taking it out?

9. TurboBlew

is that a common thing? When mine was done they had articulating arms with suction cups holding the glass.

10. sheepofblue

Not them and the price went up if that happened.

11. zertrider

When pulling it out of the seal, I have seen them break more than once.

12. zertrider

Then WAY to high

Stumpy likes this.
  13. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

A little internet searching, including youtube and you could do the job yourself...unless you have 0 mechanical skills. It ain’t rocket science.

14. sheepofblue

The ability to move the glass is multiple people. Also I have no idea on the gasket choice. I will gladly pay someone to do it right, not $2K though :crackup:

15. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

Call your local UPS and/FedEx hub and ask who changes their broken windshields.

sheepofblue likes this.
  16. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Union shop workers fix those.

17. sheepofblue

We will see I got a hold of a friend who used to work for the county, he told me who they used. With all the input I think I have ideas on $$$ and source. Not sure I can get it done before Barber but I can always take the truck and do a hotel.

18. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

Not in SC...there is a local independent windshield guy who covers the UPS fleet for the state.

sheepofblue likes this.
  19. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Oh, a monopoly then:D

On a serious note, good luck with the repair and please share when its fixed.

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Get in touch with Dean - https://integrityrvservice.com/ probably worth the drive down from Huntsville but he'll know the best way to get it done even if it's not.

sheepofblue likes this.