1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rossi brand Ambassador?

Discussion in 'General' started by Rdrace42, May 1, 2023.

1. This old Rz

This old Rz Well-Known Member

IMG_20200914_181638~2.jpg
    They've been sayin the V-4 thang since 1986..lol
    In WSBK Aside from the current Ducati..you have to back starting in yr #1& 2 of WSBK 1988-89 w Merkel, then a dry spell until 1997 with
    (Kosinski). Then a 14 yr wait until Mad Max came along on the RSV4.
    And don't the inline 4s have
    ( restrictions) placed on them, vs Ducati.. as Kawasaki's inline 4s utterly dominated 8 yrs of WSBK.
    And as mentioned Suzuki came along very recently in Moto GP & won it ,and has nothing left to prove.
    Yamahas M1 inline 4... Held their own...lol for a decade as well
    I don't see the V4s being overly dominate in any way..long term.
    This yr..looks like route though...lol

Last edited: May 1, 2023
  2. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

Apple and oranges. WSBK has different cost structures, and I would say goals as far as the manufacturers go. It's not a coincidence that Kaw isn't playing in MGP. They probably have more money than any of the other teams currently there (at least KHI does), but they don't have the architecture to compete. Yamaha hasn't gone that direction, as they've been fortunate to find a rider (Toprak) who could work around the shortcomings. Also, until Alvaro, I don't think Ducati has had the talent to make best use of the Pani. And yes, I know Bowling Bautista didn't win the 'ship the last time he was on the bike, but that was more a mental issue. Not my words. His. In the end, the better question would be, if V4 wasn't the optimal solution for MGP, then why are all bikes but Yamaha configured that way? Why has pretty much every rider said, if you don't have a V4, you can't compete? Why do you think Quartararo said they need a V4? It's not my opinion, as I still think the optimal bike would be a TZ250. These are the words of the teams, riders, media.... And yes, inline's have won plenty of championships against V4's. Everything changes.

This old Rz likes this.
  3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Valentino Rossi is a person, VR46 is a company that does many different things including running a race team. Just like his brand has sold gear for all sorts of other riders and teams.

4. This old Rz

This old Rz Well-Known Member

He's the ONLY reason I became interested in Motorcycle racing again. After Lawson,Rainey & Schwants, Kosinski,Gardener..etc.. I lost all interest..until he swung a leg over the 2-Stroke.. Granted he was riding a perfected J Burgess NSR...he was just a character...no modern era rider has ever come close to his charisma/style and his combined tenacity and skill across so many different incarnations of bikes..
    he's definitely a guy who brought a knife to a fight...lol
    All the others since. While talented are copycats and a dim shadow of the " real dude".
    Everything he did was awesome on & off a bike..hell I even had 7 of his damn helmets at one time..Lol and still a few minutes motorcycle models...lol
    Good Times..made it all with it