1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Road trip. Mansfield ohio to Road America. Anything to see?

Discussion in 'General' started by assjuice cyrus, Jun 7, 2021.

1. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

It's Chicago, his RV doesn't have bullet proof armor installed.

OldSchlPunk likes this.
  2. Sprinky

Sprinky Well-Known Member

As touristy as it is, Mars Cheese Castle in Kenosha will probably fit the bill. It's right off of I-94 on Hwy 142 with plenty of parking if you're towing a trailer or RV-ing it. Cedar Valley Cheese store is right on Hwy 57 South of Plymouth so you should drive right past it on your way up. They should have some really good curds and mozzarella string cheese.

Skip the 3-4 year stuff, get a 10+ year old cheddar for some real bite. 20 YO is available but it's almost too much IMO.

If you really want a good one, get a chunk of Pleasant Ridge Reserve by Uplands Cheese Company, it's probably one of the best all around cheeses I've had. It's won a lot of awards.

A true Wisconsin classic are cheese curds, but only get them if they're fresh and warm. If they don't squeak, they're no good. If they don't have fresh ones, get the deep fried ones at the track.

Top if all off with some New Glarus Spotted Cow if you please, but I prefer Moon Man or Two Women personally.

beac83 and vfrket like this.
  3. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

If you’re taking US30 across to Ft Wayne, the Auburn Cord Duesenberg Museum could be a cool stop.

Whatever you do, don’t take US30 past Valparaiso, IN, if you were looking to run it all the way across. If you did stop in Auburn, I’d look at 6>33>20>2>I94.

grasshopper and beac83 like this.
  4. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Another good option is Ale Asylum’s Mad Town Nut Brown.

5. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

The armor would make the gas mileage crash badly.

Not needed in 90% of the city anyway.

6. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

What part of Chicago are you near?

7. beac83

I'm in Morgan Park, just inside the south end of the city.

speedluvn likes this.
  8. A. Barrister

A. Barrister Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

9. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

I'm in Crown Point, In just west of I-65 and south of I-80. If you have any troubles or need anything shoot me a message but I'm leaving for Road America myself Thursday at 5pm as well.

10. GNC

GNC Jim Rashid

Your delusional if you think 90% of Chicago is safe. Last weekend 55 shot 5 dead.

11. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Turn when you get here and Wisconsin is just to the east
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
  12. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

As stated by someone who lives in a state where I-75 around Dayton south to Cinci has been in construction for 20 frickin' years or more. Sure we have Gov Nitwit but...

Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
    StaccatoFan likes this.
  13. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

All of those shot where in the 10 % bad area :D

14. beac83

In about 3-5 of the 76 neighborhoods. Most of Chicago is pretty sedate.

15. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

Skip all those places, get there early and go to:
    Seibkins
    Paddock Cafe
    Off The rail
    Gessert's ice cream shop
    That supper club place 10 min out of town.
    See you there...:crackup:

5axis likes this.
  16. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

Agreed. Lived my whole life between these places and I'd just go to Elkhart Lake/Sheboygan area. Especially if we're talking about a trip with a trailer and Mars Cheese Castle is in the running :crackup:

17. Critter

Critter Registered

Bong Park

18. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

If you are towing a trailer be prepared to pay up the ass for tolls. There are no manned toll booths on 294. You can go through the city but good luck with that. You’ll miss 4 tolls I think if you go through the city. Go on the Illinois ipass website and create an account and you will save some money. I’m pretty sure it cost 25 bucks or so each way with my single axle trailer between the Indiana and Wisconsin lines

5axis likes this.
  19. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

That's a weird way to spell Slyman's Deli.

20. OldSchlPunk

OldSchlPunk Well-Known Member

Am planning on being there all 3 days. If you see an old guy with a mohawk, it's probably me. I may be on foot or on my MT09, though on Sat it will be the 400 Bandit as it's in the show. If you see me, give a shout!