Replacing touch screen on iPad 3?

Discussion in 'General' started by Gecko, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Gecko

Gecko Well-Known Member

Wondering if anyone has attempted to replace the touch screen on their iPad 3?

Wifey dropped her’s in the paddock over the weekend and it spider cracked in the top right corner (the protective case ... didn't). The unit still works fine, but she hates anything that doesn’t look new (why she stays married to me is one of life’s great mysteries) Her logic: if I can fix a crashed R6, I must be able to fix a crashed iPad 3.

Parts are like $80-100 vs. Apple’s $350+. I’ve watched some Youtube vids of the process, which, I suppose, makes me just as qualified as if I had stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

So, has anyone successfully accomplished this task, or is it a job best left to the 10 y/o in the Apple Service center?

Thanks in advance! :up:

2. Jay305

Jay305 Well-Known Member

A good friend of mine replace the cracked screen on his Iphone 4s. He sourced the parts from Ebay and you would never know. FYI, he used a small magnetic mat to catch those tiny screws during dis assembly and just have a really good soldering gun.

3. RoadRacerX

RoadRacerX Jesus Freak

My son had to replace the screen on his iPad 2. Apple wanted $250 to replace the iPad. Son wanted to keep all his game progress data. Local guy replaced the screen for $190 parts and labor. I thought about doing it myself but it takes more time and patience that I have. There are YouTube videos of the replacement progress, and it seems like a PITA.

4. AZ-MilleR

AZ-MilleR Well-Known Member

We do them all the time. They are not incredibly difficult if you are familiar with doing these types of things (iPhones, iPods, etc..). The 3rd Gen iPad uses a very strong adhesive which is somewhat difficult to get separated, especially when the front is cracked badly. Not being careful or having the right tools can get a lot of broken glass into your fingers. You will need a few tools to do it right, a heat gun, a set of metal spudgers and a really small #00 Phillips head screwdriver. We charge $150 to do them, you should be able to find people in your area for about the same.

As for an iPhone 4S screen, you don't use a soldering iron, but there are a lot of very small screws. Take them out and put them in a magnetic tray or something you can keep them order to help when you put it back together.

5. antirich

antirich Well-Known Member

Wow, I really didn't think they were replaceable. Seems that the smaller/newer devices are built more as disposable items than something that's fixable.

BTW: if you paid with a credit card, you may want to check and see if it has an accidental damage warranty. Lots of people have them through Visa/Amex, and don't even realize it.

6. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

YouTube has a million tutorials on how to replace your digitizer

7. BigHeadzDC

BigHeadzDC One Track Wonder

www.ifixit.com

I used their stuff to replace the home button in my iPhone 4, which required basically a complete teardown of the phone. Took me about an hour. Make sure you get a magnetized #00 screwdriver. There's no way you can manually position those little fucking screws.

8. Gorecki

Gorecki verwirrt und orientierung

The ifixit usually has good walktroughs. Yes it can be done. I've replaced 3 screens on iPhone4's. I presume the assembly is relative and it basically requires you to take the entire device apart. Smallest damn screws I've seen in my entire life!

I've got my screens off amazon for ~$20 a pop that comes with a little fixit tool kit. I presume you can get them for the iPad too.

I use a folded white sheet and each piece that comes out gets laid out in order so reassembly is very clear what goes next. Have fun. ;)