1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

replace helmet, really?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by atomic410, May 17, 2009.

1. atomic410

atomic410 Well-Known Member

I just got a new arai 4 months ago. I went down in pratice the other day, not very hard, got back up everything is fine but I scraped th back of my helmet a little. It's not gouged just scraped in a small amount some of the paint chipped off you can see the fiber, no foam, shell but it's not dented cracked or damaged at all, I din't hit my head or hurt my neck and I'm not sore at all. Basicly my helmet has a little rasberry that I would rather kiss than put a unneeded bandaid on. Do I really need to replace the helmet?

2. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Yes.....the outer shell is now compromised but more inportantly the impact absorbing materials on the inside are now less affective than they were before you fell.

How much is your brain activity worth to you. Less than a new helmet. Probably not.

3. LongDogRacing

LongDogRacing Well-Known Member

hey, it's your noggin'... use it if you want, but i wouldn't.

next time, go with a Scorpion. that way, if you do bust it, you won't feel as much pain in the wallet. the EXO700's are great...

FWIW.

4. 418

418 Expert #59

Went through 2 Arai's before I realised I either needed to stop crashing or go to a different helmet.

I've got a Scorpion now. :D

5. PlayHard

PlayHard Well-Known Member

+1 , Best helmet for the money by far :up:. Sport bike track gear .com, clearance price, banging your head never felt so good.

6. CNI Dawg

CNI Dawg Well-Known Member

I had same problem with my X-11 .... sent it in to Shoei & they sent it back with a letter saying it was OK

Still worry about it tho

Wish my head fit the Scorpion helmet - it's better price for sure

7. WayneDangerous

WayneDangerous Well-Known Member

Thanks for the Scorpion advice. I was in the same boat with my Arai and was not looking forward to spending another $450.

8. emry

emry Can you count? 50 Fucking what?

I used to wear Arai's, thought I might try a Scorpian just cause they are cheap. I have been very happy. While the Arai is still a little lighter (I think) and I do like the locking visor, I wear my exo400 for all of my track days. At this point I would buy another Scopian before I buy another Arai.