1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommend my wife a 20ga

Discussion in 'General' started by Captain Squid, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Captain Squid

Captain Squid Well-Known Member

So my FIL and I have been shooting clays a lot here lately, and the wife says it looks fun. it is :D. But she won't touch any of the 12ga's, so I was thinking I might pick her up a 20ga cheap in the hopes that she likes it enough to shoot with us.

She's got a littl .22lr that she loves, and I've been trying like hell to get her to shoot more, maybe this will help.

I've been looking at the 20ga Pardner, it's cheap, which is a big selling point in case she doesn't like it. The mossberg 500 is cheap too I think, but what better place to ask opinions than here???? :D

2. BrianC636

BrianC636 Well-Known Member

My wife shoots clay with a 20 Ga. and I need to find her either a nice over/under or a left handed 20 Ga. so she doesn't have to borrow her dad's 20 Ga. She can shoot a 12 Ga but doesn't like it b/c it's heavy.

3. Gigantic

Gigantic Maverick Moto Media

I have a 28 ga 870 wingmaster that I let my g/fs shoot. Not sure if they still make them, but it's neatly perfect.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
  4. Captain Squid

That's something I thought of too, trying to borrow a 20 ga locally so she can shoot it to see if I am wasting my time/money on something she'll never shoot, cause I know I never will shoot it if she doesn't.

5. ZxMoke

ZxMoke Well-Known Member

All depends on what ammo you use. I have a Mossberg 12 ga, bird shot vs a slug is a noticable difference. Have her shoot bird shot through your 12 and see if she likes it?

6. Captain Squid

I have a little bit of everything. Most of the clay stuff is #7/7.5/8, but I bought a box of #9 light the other day int he hopes she would try it. It says it's a handicap/light load.

I think it's more of a she hears 12ga, and "know what they will do" even though I have tried to explain to her the differences in shot, it's kinda like her trying to explaint o me why she needs foundation, eye liner, mascara, li balm, ect. Did that just null my man card knowing all those? :D

I might pick up another box of it and shoot it (the #9) one handed to show her it's not much recoil and see if she bites.

7. r6boater

r6boater Logged out

Draik has the Mossberg 500 and although it was cheap, it has worked well for him and haven't had any problems with it. We got him the youth stock option that he can "grow in to" and then upgrade to the full size stock in the future.

8. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

Remington 870 Wingmaster. Can't go wrong.

9. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

The single shot 20 ga's like the Pardner kick worse than other guns would with the same load. An auto-loader definitely helps to reduce felt recoil. Also, good guns kick less with more technology in the stock, recoil pads, etc. The problem is that they start to get expensive. If I were in your situation I would be looking for a 20 ga auto. Then I could use it if she got bored with it.

For $1000 or a little more you could get a Benelli or something like that. For less you would be looking at something used or a Mossberg or something like that.

10. BDRacing

BDRacing Well-Known Member

Bought my kids a Franchi 720 short stock. Very little recoil, gas operated, variable choke autoloader. Only gun she will ever need.

11. ZxMoke

ZxMoke Well-Known Member

Yeah man that's pretty bad :Poke:

12. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

if you end up with one, just throw it in the back of the pick-up, a beater truck gun. them pardners prolly ain't worth tryin' to resell anyway.

hand her a 12 and tell her it's a 20. :D
    yeah, you're gettin' something different. if she might not like it, as least get something you'll like. a little gas gun could be a gas. :up:

barrel length has a lot to do with felt recoil, as well. if i shoot light loads through my 18", it's all weekend long. put the same load through a 26" barrel and i call it quits before the box is empty. it kicks like a mule.

13. TStinson

TStinson Well-Known Member

Most places I have shot clays have guns for rent. Might try that route before spending more dough.

14. Captain Squid

That's a good thought, but I shoot clays at home :D I live in the sticks so I think borrowing one will be my best bet to bring home for a weekend.

I like the idea of handing her the 12 and saying it's a 20, but I don't know if that will work cause she knows I or her dad don't have any 20's :)

15. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

livin' in the sticks...that just kicks ass.

that franchi is a good lookin' gun...and no wonder, $1000. :wow:
    i think the captain might be lookin' for somethin' a little more backwoods.

16. Captain Squid

Yeah not looking to break the bank for sure. Living in the sticks has it's +'s, and it's -'s as well........ It's a damn long drive for one, but once you get there, you're on your own, can do whatever, whenever. I've got about a 400-500 yard "range" that I used to lay down on my front porch with my bolt gun and shoot through the rails banging gongs :D

But if you have a craving for dinner and you're a few miles from home, if it's not at home, you had better decide on something else, cause it's a long ass drive back to civilization :D

17. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Rem 1100/1187. Light recoil but will still cycle light loads with no problem. You'll regret a pump for shotgun sports.

18. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Find her a used auto.

19. Captain Squid

I have an 11-87 already. 28" sp

I'm going to try it with the ring and the #9 in it this weekend, then if that doesn't work the 20ga next weekend

20. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself