1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rebuild XR100R - is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Jed, Jan 20, 2017.

1. Jed

Jed mellifluous

My son moved up to a yz85 and my daughter is ready to move up from her ttr90. I've got an XR100R that's pretty clapped out. It runs but I'm sure the motor needs a top end rebuild.

Is it worth it to buy a basic rebuild kit and give it a shot doing the work myself? I've not rebuilt a 4 stroke before, but there's not a lot of downside if I screw it up. I loose the cost of the rebuilt kit and I bought the bike for $400.

Would a kit like this be enough to get started?-- http://www.midwestmoto.com/wiseco-complete-top-end-kit-1992-2009-honda-xr100-crf100/

I realize it may also need new valves and depending on the condition of the cam and bottom end may be a scrap heap. I probably ought to take it apart before buying parts I suppose....

2. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

They are stupid easy to work on, and CHEAP to get parts for. Before you order anything, why not do some basic inspection work first? Compression and or leak down test to see if you NEED to rip into it, before that check the valves. You may find it just needs a lil TLC and not a full rebuild.

TurboBlew likes this.
  3. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

pull the cam/valve cover. Check for slop in cam. also check oil level & kick a couple times...
    No slop & good oil pressure = :beer: good to go! :D

just the addition of a piston increases hp.
    new cylinder head = even more hp! :D

4. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

5. sharky nrk

sharky nrk Rubber Side Up

Yes.

You can get a 120cc kit for less than $200 that really make a tough little fun bike even better.

6. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Oh. Tak 115cc kit with cam, $265 USD. Huh. Maybe I do need the boost in performance after all.