1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Really Scary Event

Discussion in 'General' started by Boman Forklift, Aug 21, 2023.

1. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Okay, against my better judgment, I'm going to respond to your dumb ass.

First of all, I'm sure he didn't post that so people could point a finger and say "you're an idiot, you should have done this…" He went through something terrifying and he is releasing the pressure. Whatever lesson there is to draw from this, I'm sure he had plenty of time to think about during that drive. I don't want to speak for him but I'm not convinced that your input is needed here.

Secondly, you don't know his wife. You have absolutely no idea why she wasn't armed. A more polite way to approach this would be to ask instead of pointing fingers like an asshole. Hell, from what he wrote, we don't even know that she didn't have a gun. But even if she didn't, there are a number of valid reasons why someone might feel gun ownership is not what's best for them. Again, not speaking for him, just responding to your insensitive comments.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  2. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Damn, Rob, that sounds terrifying! Glad it turned out to be nothing. Another reason to move to Monarch Beach or get out of California!

3. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

We have 20' tall celings as well and glad we have cameras now.

Being able to look at them from the other side of the country on your phone provides a good mental peace. Also great for checking on your stay-in dog watcher.

Wait until amazon has another prime day, I think there's one in November and the shit is stupid cheap for that day.

What finally motivated me is the combination floodlight/camera fixtures. I had 2 of the big 250watt power hogs facing the water 20 feet up with the $20 bulbs in them and had to break out the extension ladder anyhow to change them. The blink floodlights are actually brighter and use way less power.

On our island most of the crime is boat radios, props, trailer spare tires, shit like that. Your car gets its plate ran when you come and go over the bridge with the same system the border patrol guys use, time stamp on all of it. People that come over with warrants end up in a really really bad spot in a matter of minutes, our cops have a custom phone app, they can see it even out of town. My buddy has a fantastic uber story about that.

Glad your wife is safe. If no kids in the house, definitely get her trained on a firearm of some sort

4. Pride & Joy

Pride & Joy Well-Known Member

Super glad to hear everything worked out alright. The difference between some type of emergency happening to a loved one versus the frequent situations I work myself into are amazing. Head first into an Aspen tree and life flighted off the mountain... ehh, no biggie. BUT, a truck turns in front of my wife when I'm two and a half hours away and she's calling me from a EMT's phone, that's some freaking DRAMA!! The feeling of total helplessness when a loved one is in some kind of danger or a bad situation is absolutely awful! My stress meter would have totally blasted through redline if I endured anything close to what you and Auminer have recently experienced.

Boman Forklift and auminer like this.
  5. VR45 Troll

VR45 Troll Site Mod Upgraded to Troll. Formerly “Maximum”

There are many ways of teaching. Mine is not "hugs and participation trophies". The situation could have ended very differently since you read about the South American break-in gangs roaming the rich neighborhoods and robbing 11 homes near the same location and other places in California.

6. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Again, what exactly did you "teach" that he did not think of himself during that 40-mile drive?

7. Bugslayer

Bugslayer Well-Known Member

:crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup:
    I put the brainless attention whore on "ignore" earlier. Reading your posts with no one quoted really had me confused!

Boman Forklift and pickled egg like this.
  8. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

god she's NEVER going to let you live down hanging that painting incorrectly.

Chino52405, 418, mpusch and 1 other person like this.
  9. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

T'was it not a haint?......

10. Bruce

Bruce Tuck & Roll

There are ways to get your point across, and then there's just dumb shit coming out of your brain onto a keyboard. It literally keeps getting worse the more shit your type. Just shut the fuck up honestly. Go fuck yourself.

Boman Forklift and pickled egg like this.
  11. Bruce

Bruce Tuck & Roll

@Boman Forklift I can totally understand the anxiety you felt. Had a scare with my wife, then fiancé, and it gave me the same feeling of dread. Glad you and the Mrs. are good!

12. opinion914

opinion914 Well-Known Member

I know that feeling.

Had it on Sept 11th 2001 when my wife called saying "I just want you to know.....click"

Then her tower fell.

Dirty whore got out without a physical scratch, had an affair w/ a co-worker and I divorced that succubus in '06, but I still know that helpless feeling.
    Glad you're all well.

13. zamboiv

zamboiv Well-Known Member

Damn Rob. Glad all is well.

I had a similar thing happen to a friend of mine while we were in Vegas. We just got done eating dinner after his flight landed and were walking to the craps table.

Wife calls and says that someone is breaking in as she heard the back sliders break.

She was in the garage with their kids painting so chucked them in car and drove off.

Police come as she’s down the street and search house and find no one.

The landlord put in a 12 foot section of doors and didn’t engineer it correctly for the load. As the load increased it shattered the glass out of the two middle doors.

he was on the phone with his wife standing off the table, looks up at me and says cash my chips my house is being robbed as loud as he could and sprinted to the front desk to rent a car to drive home as it was too late for a flight.

As he was waiting for the car shit his wife told him what happened so he walked back down to find me negotiating with the pit boss to pay me out for his chips. He cashed chips told us what happened and drove home to meet the crew that was cleaning up glass, propping up the doors and and putting wood over it.

14. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Damn! Tell us how you really feel.

15. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

A friend of mine is a 20 yr police officer, he told me a while back that he never went to a robbery where the homeowners had dog(s), said usually a bark is enough to deter and the robbers go to another house instead.
    Rob,
    Glad to hear everything is ok.

16. cincigp

cincigp Well-Known Member

Our house was robbed while our 2 dogs were going nuts from inside their crates...

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The dog thing always reminds me of the one about how cops never go to a crash with a fatality that is in a seatbelt. No way it's true of course but that doesn't change seatbelts are better than no seatbelts. I'd guess same goes for dogs and robbers, won't stop em all but will stop a bunch.

Chino52405 and Boman Forklift like this.
  18. Christopher Graybosch

Christopher Graybosch Well-Known Member

OP,

super scary. My reality struck this past week when my little one started elementary school. I have officially pushed her out into “the world” and man it’s scary.

Glad all is OK brother.

If she was around to breathe the dust in… well she’s gonna have a horrible end of life. So much Asbestos.

19. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I think it was last summer... I was in the house and heard a huge crashing sound. Sounded like someone drove into the side of my house. It was LOUD and I swear a bunch of stuff was broke somewhere. I literally heard smashing of metal, glass, etc. I inspected the entire house and garage and couldn't find anything. My neighbors are a long ways away so it wasnt them. Really strange and I've never been able to figure it out!

20. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that