1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Real John Deere thread

Discussion in 'General' started by sheepofblue, Jul 5, 2021.

1. AC1108

AC1108 Well-Known Member

You know how us Union scum is, just wanting a little piece of the pie and defined working rules. Same thing others want, but we're looked down upon by others because we're organized. I don't know anyone who works at John Deere, yet I support them fully because I know how greedy companies are. The CEO and shareholders are the only ones in their eyes who should be able to live nicely.

2. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Exactly what kind of a shitty contract did they sign that permits Deere to FORCE their members to work overtime?

And correct me if I’m wrong, but NLRB rules don’t ALLOW an employer to FORCE a worker to exceed 40 hours per week. Nor can a company pay an employee less than 1.5x the base pay rate for hours worked in excess of 40 hours per week.

So, forgive me if I find your premise a little bit, umm, unbelievable.

3. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Alot of farmers are in the fuck JD mindset now with JD refusing to release the computer codes so somebody besides JD can fix the tractor. I know it's in court, don't know if it's been decided. Really pisses you off when you've got a 10 hour day of field work planned and the tractor won't move because of an electronic glitch and you're losing money by the hour waiting for JD to show up.

I personally know of a big 500 plus horse JD articulated with duals on it and a 30 ft. harrow behind it shutting itself down in the middle of a main intersection. Had to call the cops to direct traffic for 2 hours while JD got there and patched in a jumper wire to get it to move.

That's why pre electronic tractors are going up in price, because you can work on them yourself.

4. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

It’s not my premise.. it’s what was in an article that I googled this morning. I believe it was a quote from a union official.

5. motoracer1100

I’m a retired Union worker myself . And support the workers 100 % .

6. motoracer1100

I found the article on forced OT on the Guardian.com written by Michael Sainato on October 14 2021 at 8:35 edt

edit: and there was another article saying the same that I have not located yet .

Edit#2 : google ; John Deere workers forced Ot .. take your pick of multiple articles

Last edited: Oct 16, 2021
  7. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Well there goes an interesting thread

Sabre699 likes this.
  8. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Uh-huh. And the union contract allowed for “forced overtime”?

Doesn’t pass the smell test.

9. motoracer1100

No .., but I know from experience in the construction trade they have ways around it . If a job goes to overtime, and they
    “Kinda” make it mandated that everyone must do it , and a guy or two refuses to do it . They find a reason to lay you off and then call the hall to have you replaced . I’ve witnessed it many times . Now in construction it usually only lasts a few weeks to maybe few months . So you just suck it up and take the money . But in a factory situation and it lasts years on end ... that’s a different story

10. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

I know how crappy companies can be and not pay people. But you what...if they dont like they can go somewhere else and work a better job.

We are seeing this in several industries...small airlines used to pay peanuts and now they pay a much nicer wage because they needed it to hire pilots. (also some new gubment rules helped but still the market adjusted...less workers that can do a job equals more pay.)

Lots of retail and food industry companies cant get enough workers...so now the pay rates are going up.

Organized labor artificially adjusts the market and its original purpose...basic workers rights and safety have been taken over by the government. Now all they bargain for relates to benefits and compensation. And maybe some retarded work rules to keep a janitor from p[lugging in his floor buffer cause it takes an electrician to come do that. :rolleyes:

11. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Why you trying to take food out of my kids’ mouths, scab?

12. motoracer1100

Organized Labor allows everyone to eat from the Trough , not just a few Fat Cats .. nothing artificial about that .

13. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Seems there is a couple of lessons
    ALL give backs should include a return clause upon a certain profit level. This protects both sides.
    OT needs to have some mandatory to meet sales needs but the workers need a way to limit it so it is not a new mode of operation but a temporary stop gap. Of course then it is fair to allow the company to fire and hire a bit easier so they can fill the need without a forever staffing level.
    If executive pay allows bonuses for good company performance it should include penalties for poor performance.

14. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

I had to agree to respond to call outs when I hired on at the Utility...ie "forced OT". When I was in supervision and had to call out workers they were required to respond....of course they weren't home when I called if they didn't want to respond...even at 4:00am. I often thought of apologizing to the wife who answered the phone saying..."Oh that's right, Tuesday was Joe's night with his mistress." I never got up enough nerve to do that, though....

15. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Since OT is both more expensive than regular time, and less productive output-wise from overworked workers, why on the Flying Spaghetti Monster’s marinara fruited plains would a company want to standardize on an mandatory OT model?

16. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Regulated monopolies likely have the leeway for forced OT, especially in cases of emergencies that could threaten life and welfare.

17. sheepofblue

To avoid hiring. In some cases union workers are as hard to remove as a tenured teacher. Again this is the fault of both parties. The company should not have submitted and the union by mandating numbers that cannot decrease only increase sometimes work against their members actual needs IMO

Motofun352 likes this.
  18. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Avoid hiring? C’mon man! There’s no one to hire. Well, I should say there’s no one willing to take a job…

Phl218 likes this.
  19. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Always amuses me that the union guys i know never hire union labor when they're spending money on their house.

Unions work great when there's no competition.

20. sheepofblue

Long term not today. Contract is years old and principal goes back much further. Not unique to Deere either.