1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Radio opinions

Discussion in 'General' started by CB186, Mar 2, 2016.

1. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

So here at work, I cant get shit for reception on the few radio stations I want to listen to. The building is a bunker(concrete walls and roof), and I want to get a stereo for in the shop that I can attach an aux antenna to. I don't need anything fancy and I don't want to spend much, just be able to have the radio on and not have to constantly be messing with the antenna or changing stations when it gets all static.

This seems perfect for what I'm looking for, just want to see if I'm missing anything(besides a pair of speakers of course).

http://www.amazon.com/PT260A-200-Wa...s=stereo+receiver&refinements=p_36:1253505011

2. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

Can you stream a local station? Most of ours around here have a listen to live spot on their website?

3. sbhockey

sbhockey Orange shirt #157

A lot of times you can stream a local radio station through the interwebs. Just a thought

4. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

I thought about streaming on wifi, but wanted to explore a better antenna set up first.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

No reason that wouldn't work. Not sure how far you can run antenna wires before needing a boost.

6. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

First I would try a separate indoor antenna, then go to an outdoor from there. Deck is about 14'.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I've run longer I believe (been a while) with no issues. Hell, I've had luck with running two pieces of copper, one off each side, without ever going to an actual antenna :D

Ever try wrapping some wire on the current radio antenna and making it longer?

8. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

Seems like a lot of work to be inundated with commercials when there are options out there to listen to music with no/minimal interruptions.

cha0s#242 likes this.
  9. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

So, the crappy S/N ratio and limited frequency response isn't a concern?
    For the money, I'd just go to Walmart and buy a shelf system.

10. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

I use one of these mounted outside via a 25 foot cable to get reception on a low-power remote station in the foothills. About as good an FM antenna as you can get.

11. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Huh? Most shelf systems don't have inputs for an aux antenna, otherwise I would.

12. fastfreddie

Damn. I'm way out of the loop. Didn't necessarily mean Walmart, but can't hardly find anything that has old school features...except for some used old school units. You've got yourself a pickle here. G-D-ed technology.
    There were some, but the prices aren't linin' up with the figures I assume you want to spend.

Can't you rip a stereo out of a car and plug it into an AC adapter? :D

13. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

See, and you thought I was crazy!

14. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Spent 2 hours in the shop building a bullet proof radio case for new CD player one time because my radios kept getting busted on jobs. I was tired of my shit getting smashed, so I made it out of 3/4" birch plywood, full overlay hinges, a nice 4" brushed nickel wire pull, a latch and even routed a rectangle in the front which I covered in speaker cloth. It even had a remote.

I broke the goddamn antenna THE FIRST TIME I closed the lid!

Sonofabitch worked flawlessly for years with about 3' of #12 ground wire spun up and twisted around.

15. fastfreddie

Crazy ain't the words I was thinkin'. :D

The truth is, I thought, here's a guy that's looking for a simple solution. If he finds one, I'ma havta follow his lead.
    I want to add non-stop music to my "shop" (basement) while not, also, breaking the bank, but haven't started looking at a solution.
    Looks like it's gonna be easier said than done and, likely, I'll have to knuckle under for somethin' like my phone playin' Pandora through some amplified gizmos. Money I don't want to spend.

16. elevenn7

elevenn7 Well-Known Member

As a kid, I once scotch taped some spare speaker wire to my Marantz boom box - and to my surprise I could recieve FM radio stations from 100 miles away. Living in the middle of nowhere (Southern Oregon) at the time, this was life changing.

Inst Tech likes this.
  17. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Smartphone, Spotify, old amp and speakers from a thrift store, done.

18. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

I don't want to put that much work into listening to the radio everyday. I want to turn it on in the morning, and off when I go home.

19. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

I have 250+ songs I have downloaded that I listen to when I drive. Just hit shuffle play and roll. I'd have more but I'm picky. Mostly 1970-1990, but current junk is available.

20. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself