1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Racing a new track

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by STEEZO, Mar 7, 2011.

1. STEEZO

STEEZO Well-Known Member

So I have my PN license. I'm pretty much ready to go; safety wired, transponder, new tires, etc. No generator yet, so the only thing I need is power for my warmers. I've been waiting for the Jennings round to do my first race since I've done about 8 TDs there and I feel I can be somewhat competitive there.

But I was talking to some JGP guys last weekend about waiting for the Jennings round. Their response was basically: Why wait? Roebling is two weeks away!! Do Roebling! But I'm a little hesitant because I wanted to do a Kinsey school up there first so I can get familiar with the track.

If I do Roebling in two weeks, I'd drive up early Sun. So I'd only have 2 practice sessions before my first race ever. Is that a sufficient amount of seat time on a new track to do my first race (keep in mind, I'm fairly new to track riding so I'm probably slower than most to find my markers)? Or would you experienced guys recommend more time? Am I being a bitch about this and should I just STFU and do it?

*And if anyone cares, I'll be on an sv650 running in SS LWT and maybe F2

2. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

save your $$ on the kinsey school. (unless you really want to meet Dave despain) :D

3. STEEZO

STEEZO Well-Known Member

Hahahaha...yeah, I remember you telling me about that. His school fee was in my budget this year, but I figured I can skip his school and throw that money towards racing instead.

4. olgoodf3

olgoodf3 'Merica

I don't think 2 practice sessions is enough time to feel confident going out to race, let alone your first race ever.

5. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

Get used to riding on tracks you've never seen before. I know of at least one guy that did his first race on a track he'd never visited and didn't do too bad. A big part of racing is about getting out of your comfort zone - take it as a new challenge and go for it. If that attitude doesn't fit, then why did you get into the game?

Good luck!

6. meanseeds

meanseeds Well-Known Member

my first race will be this weekend at roebling and I've never been there...not wera though so its like a trackday anyway o_O

7. acwhite84

acwhite84 Well-Known Member

I think there is a private track day being put on the day before. Pm me and I'll get a hold of my contact and see what I can find out. Rrr is not a real tech track. Alot of long fast sweepers. Once u start picking up the pace it all starts to flow together. I rode it for the first time 2 weeks ago and race it this weekend.

Small tip turn one is fast!! U can fly into it. It's alot like Jennings turn one.(so u can relate) only a right hander.

8. oldmonk

oldmonk Just trying something!

Are those races at Roebling Nationals or sportsman races? Or are they a combination of both? The only reason I'm asking is because I know you can't run Nationals on a provisional license. Not sure how it works at this round.:confused:

9. STEEZO

STEEZO Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the input. Andy, sending you a PM.

It a National. I know that there's not a WERA riders school, but didn't know that I couldn't compete as a PN. Hmmmm...well that seems to pretty much decide for me. Unless someone else can chime in to prove otherwise, I guess I'll see you guys in May :up:

10. tiggen

tiggen Things are lookin' up.

Go on youtube, watch a thousand videos. Try to find novice races w/o music. You'll at least know where the track is going.

11. Goober RR Fla

Goober RR Fla Member

i say get out there and run. i did ccs race at pbir on a bike i never rode (was running like crap) on a track i never rode. didnt place but i had alot of fun. a few months later i raced homestead (first time there) on the same bike i ran before but had a few more hours of seat time and i took 3rd in my fourth race.

12. STEEZO

STEEZO Well-Known Member

HAHA!!! I already have. I found this one last night and watched it about 5 times before going to bed. Same bike as mine so I'm watching shift point, lines, etc

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Roebling is a combined event so you can run as a PN. It's an easy track to learn, just have someone lead you around the first session.

14. STEEZO

STEEZO Well-Known Member

BOOM!!! I'm IN!!

I'm not expecting to win. My goal for my first race is to just finish

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Just stay smooth and relaxed and you'll be fine.

16. Rain Director

Rain Director Old guy

:stupid:

If you have done that many track days, you have a clue. If you are worried about not knowing the finer points of the track, well, that's the fun of going to a new track. Enjoy the feeling you'll have when you find your lap times improving.

17. SpeedyTide

SpeedyTide 'Bama's Bad Boy

There's no substitute for experience, but I think you'd do fine. You think with your head, and not your ballz. :up:

Being a P.N. you'll be gridded up in the back, and like others have said, try to get someone to pull you around for a few laps. Also, try to look up & find some SV vids running there. :cool: Also, give Travis (t11ravis) a PM. He races an SV, and will be there at RRR.

GOOD LUCK to you!

Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
  18. STEEZO

STEEZO Well-Known Member

Thanks Jeff. I asked Ed to pull me around for a lap or two during practice. And you definitely KNOW I'm pullin' the ol' trusty Harbor Freight trailer up there...hahaha. You're no longer in that club :Poke:

19. SpeedyTide

SpeedyTide 'Bama's Bad Boy

Cool! I may come spectate. I might even go buy another H.F. trailer just to pull up there and sit on it. :D

And, I'll ALWAYS be in that club! :up:

20. jimraynor21

jimraynor21 Well-Known Member

Glad to see your doing it!

I just got my race license at the end of last year at Beaver and Ill be doing my first race at Summit this year 4/2-3.

And that will be my first time ever being at that track...Im going to do the Saturday practice then a couple races Sunday. Its a month away but as nervous as I get thinking about it, Im equally excited.