1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R6 Air filter rule via CCS Racing

Discussion in 'General' started by lonewrench, Mar 21, 2017.

1. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Ok, so, for the sake of argument, how would you redo the airbox rule in a supersport / superstock context? Remember, the goal is to limit modifications at the class level and be enforceable. If you just strike through the rule as is written right now, you're allowing anyone to gut an airbox completely.

John29 likes this.
  2. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Loaded question. What's your goal? To limit performance? To limit costs?

The most super duper air filter money can buy costs less than a rear tire.

Gorilla George and lonewrench like this.
  3. YZROOSTINYA

YZROOSTINYA Well-Known Member

Run an air filter in the OEM airbox.

Just like you would the exhaust. Not cat, sub muffler, whatever. It is still an exhaust, and its still an air filter.

4. Skter505

Skter505 Well-Known Member

Exactly. You can allow the use of aftermarket filters without allowing changes to the airbox. Or just write the rule to say OEM filter for same year and model only and close the gray area.

5. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

Yeah, they had a great thread way back when. Some northeast rider had his license application returned. :D

Slider82 and Britt like this.
  6. G 97

G 97 Garth

Except with the R6 where the air filter is part of the air box.

7. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

How about this:

Air Box as delivered OEM for year, make and model, exterior must remain as stock, No additional openings or enlargements to existing opening is allowed. Removal of internal baffels, splitters, dividers is allowed, as is any Air Filter.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
    Gorilla George likes this.
  8. busa99

busa99 Well-Known Member

Can we consolidate these identical threads. I'm getting dizzy going back and fourth.

9. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

How about one of these and maybe standardizing this section with both CCS and WERA.

MotoAmerica 600 Superstock:

2.7.8.16 Air box
    a. The air box must be the originally fitted and homologated part with no modification.
    b. The air filter element may be modified or replaced but must be mounted in the original position.
    c. The air box drains must be sealed.
    d. All motorcycles must have a closed breather system. All the oil breather lines must be connected ( may pass through an oil catch tank) and exclusively
    discharge in the air box.
    e. Additional heat shielding is not allowed (i.e.gold or silver heat tape).

MotoAmerica 600 Supersport:

2.5.8.16 Air box
    a. The air box must be the originally fitted and homologated part with no modification allowed.
    b. The air filter element may be removed or replaced but if fitted must be mounted in the original position.
    c. The air box drains must be sealed.
    d. All motorcycles must have a closed breather system. All oil breather lines must be connected ( may pass through an oil catch tank) and discharge in the
    air box.
    e. Ram air tubes or ducts running from the fairing to the air box may be modified, replaced or removed. If tubes/ducts are utilized, they must be attached to the original, unmodified air box inlets.
    f. No heat protection may be attached to the air box. (i.e. Foil heat tape).

jeffr1ey and lonewrench like this.
  10. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Although those goofy raised up carbon fiber framed BMC ones really push that envelope.

[​IMG]

11. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

@ekraft84 I think you had mentioned the foil tape treatment earlier in another thread... but has there been undisputable evidence that it actually works? The stock R6 does have a large rubber shield that seems to do an adequate job of insulating the tank & airbox.

12. How about we just standardize rules across all road racing in America and start following all FIM rules for SSTK, SS, and SBK? Making them universal across all series would only benefit everyone.

Or everyone could continue to not work together and hurt the sport even more. Either way.

dsmitty37, Germany, jeffr1ey and 3 others like this.
  13. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

the snorkel on the r6 air filter IS part of the airbox, by "definition".. this is why there is such confusion. Any deviation of the snorkel, from the specific year of the R6 (as the air filter cone changed 3 times).. is "modification of the airbox" , and a rule violation. (modification to the airbox is not allowed).

14. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

Remove the OEM filter from the R6 and u are left w a fully functional airbox with no snorkel. So the R6 snorkel is not part of the airbox. Whoever suggested that when the bike first came out ruined it for everyone. It's a filter w a small opening. The FIM and MA get it.

15. I had the same exact thought when I read his comments. If something was such a pain in the ass and causing me headaches and drama throughout the paddock and internet, then I would fix it (eliminate it).

Especially when talking about something as stupid as an air filter. It isn't like we are discussing BST wheels and 2mil overbores.

Like you said, the same way Sean handled DB screens, and then Slicks in SS.

At the end of the day, the faster/better riders will always be in front. Make things as simple as possible and let the race results be dictated on the track...not in the Tech area.

lonewrench likes this.
  16. throwdown

throwdown Well-Known Member

Are y'all still talking about this?

MELK-MAN likes this.
  17. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

Read about a similar story recently where Toyota did basically the same thing in WRC back in the mid 90s. Installed a restrictor plate suited to the rules but opened up during operation of the vehicle and could only be identified upon complete tear down of the entire intake side, manifold, turbos, and all. Pretty bizarre setup.

deepsxepa likes this.
  18. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

Probably this article? Definitely got some creativity points on this one.

http://blackflag.jalopnik.com/how-the-best-racing-cheat-of-all-time-worked-1792828060

deepsxepa likes this.
  19. deepsxepa

deepsxepa Hazardous

the Nissan GTP team was never busted for it lol GTP went out with Group B rally, the machinery was just getting too fast. I learned about the Nissans from the crew years later.

we got away with all kinds of stuff on the Buick engines for NASCAR that they never figured out, they outlawed Buicks altogether in Cup and Busch series because of the domination but never actually found out why they were so dominant.

this was back in the early restrictor plate days, they required us to drill the tip of the carb studs so they could attach their cable through it and then seal it together with a lead seal so they could verify if the carb or restrictor plate had been removed.

so we crossdrilled the studs at the tip in several places, instead of just one and also all four studs then drilled the center of the stud out and the made the holes extend into the manifolds allowing quite a bit more air in and compensated the fuel jets for it.

it whistled at an idle big time if you were close enough under the hood! lol we had fun with Champcar and Indy too (and they outlawed Buick aswell) but NASCAR was way too easy back then. I really doubt anyone was actually within the rules upto the early '90s

back then Nascar allowed any GM product to run any GM engine so all the Chevys, Pontiacs & Oldsmobiles were also powered by Buick. so when Buick got outlawed, Ford suddenly started winning more often lol

"cheating" had really always been a normal part of racing until relatively recently.

in this case here with CW though, i doubt that it was intended. not enough to gain and too much too lose. risk/reward ratio.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
    dsmitty37, VFR#52, V5 Racer and 2 others like this.
  20. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

I just find it super strange that some of these guys spend a stupid chunk of change of quick change gear and dry brake fuel tanks, etc.. But there's rules against air filters???

Make the damn thing a 600cc SBK class and be done with it.