1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R1 vs. R1M as Racebike build

Discussion in 'General' started by 2OLD2BFAST, Mar 16, 2016.

1. So if the wheels are the same, then the only difference is the bodywork, ECU and Ohlins suspension?

The ECU can be changed, Ohlins carts and shock can be installed, and race bodywork has to be used anyway. So it sounds to me like there is no advantage to an M over the base as far as racing.

2. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

I hoping to pick up a pair of nearly 30 year old PM Chicanes for my 88 Slingshot Vintage project that's still in pieces because I worry about that shit. That's the only way I can get trick wheels, wait for the technology to become so obsolete I can finally afford it.

I'm hoping to get a 2016 1299S Panigale in 2046.:D

(or a 2046 GSXR...)

3. There were motorcycles in 1988? :confused:

BigBird likes this.
  4. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Not even the ECU. They are the same on the R1 and the R1M, so engine power and all the electronic rider aids all the same. If I remember reading correctly the new 2016 R1S might have some slight detuning in the ECU, possibly ignition? But I'm not 100% on that. I think I recall that it doesn't have all the electronic rider aids though.

The M-model has the little GPS datalogging thingy (which you can buy as an aftermarket piece and connect to a regular R1). So yeah only difference is the electronic Ohlins suspension (which I've not seen any race teams using, any teams that built their race bikes with an R1M gutted the forks and replaced the shock), carbon fiber street bodywork and the GPS data logger.

5. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Yes Chris there were...and they were awesome.:D

Schwantz.jpg

dsmitty37 likes this.
  6. Just imagine how fast he would have been if they wouldn't have put his forks on upside down. :D

7. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

Dude, I'm surprised the completely fucked up, different size and shape "34" on the side isn't making your head explode.

Shit, it's irritating me.

8. Damnit I hadn't noticed it till you said that.

[​IMG]

9. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

That isn't 1988, this is.. :)

Attached Files:

dsmitty37 likes this.
  10. BigBird

BigBird blah

Damn...Pepsi was a sponsor back then...wish we still had big sponsors like that.

11. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

I know, I know (and knew someone would bust me on that) BUT, that bike DID exist in 1988 which was Darth Broome's actual question. :D

12. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Pepsi? Shit we can't even get Pussy to sponsor us anymore...... :oops:

[​IMG]

13. BigBird

BigBird blah

Damn...wonder if we can still buy 100% natural Pussy

14. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

BigBird likes this.
  15. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Eboz was riding a GSXR of that vintage at Tally and commenting about being held up by $20k Ducatis. So they must be pretty quick. Maybe its more rider than bike...:D

16. BigBird

BigBird blah

cha0s#242 likes this.
  17. 2OLD2BFAST

2OLD2BFAST Well-Known Member

Thanks to all. Sounds like the M w/b out and it comes down to R1 vs. 10R... Should be an interesting season in Superstock for a change.

18. Between those 2, all things being equal (and on paper they appear to be), i would give the nod to the R1 for 2 reasons:

1. It has been out longer so there is more data, aftermarket parts, etc.

2. Crossplane motor.

That R1 motor will provide more mechanical grip (allowing you to use less electronics) and should look after the tires better.

19. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

I'd also go with Yamaha because Yamaha FINALLY made an R1 worth a damn!

I just haven't liked any of them until this one came out. And I've ridden almost every generation.

20. 5axis

5axis Well-Known Member

If I were to want a 1K I'd be looking at the Kaw, because I can drop it off with Farrell.