1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quickshifter questions/need shift sensor

Discussion in 'Tech' started by badmoon692008, Feb 24, 2017.

1. badmoon692008

badmoon692008 Well-Known Member

So, I started digging through the box of parts that came with my bike last year and the guy wasn't totally full of crap when he said it came with a "quickshifter." (it was a beat up street bike at the time) The bike has a PC5 installed (when I got it the PC5 was connected to itself and not the injectors, another reason why I didn't believe him) and in the box was the dynojet quickshifter expansion module.
    As far as I can tell all I should need is the shift sensor, and then wire everything up.
    First question is: am I right in thinking that's all I need
    second question: Does anyone have a used sensor for sale cheap? (I think I need a push since I run standard shift)
    Third question: I should be able to run just about anyones sensor other than bazzaz because they use a strain gauge?

Bike is a 2009 GSXR 750

2. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Shift sensor and the proper length rods. With the PC5 you can run any switch sensor. Bazzaz won't work.

3. Gumby647

Gumby647 SeƱor Member

You probably should have either the shifter module, or ignition module too. The PCV is only connected to the lower injectors and at full throttle at high rpm 80% of the fuel is injected from the upper injectors. The shifter module is cheaper but doesn't give you the ability to make any timing adjustments.

4. badmoon692008

I have the quickshifter expansion module, which is what attaches to the upper injectors...

5. DaveB

DaveB Just Riding Around

Just be aware of the QS not working "correctly" at lower RPM or throttle positions. That's one of the downsides of the QEM in my opinion.

Here is a chart of the injector percentage provided by the lower injectors on that model bike. The uppers don't even start spraying until 60% throttle and it's not until 11,200 RPM and 90% throttle before they are providing 80% of the fuel. At lower throttle positions and RPM's and you are really aren't getting a good cut (if any).

[​IMG]

6. badmoon692008

The QEM wires into the power commander, which is attached to the lower injectors. I was under the impression that through this connection fuel was cut in all injectors. Is this not the case?

7. DaveB

DaveB Just Riding Around

I'll be honest, I'm not 100% sure as I have never personally owned one but a friend with a QEM on an 09 ZX-6 was having problems a couple of years ago with his quickshifter at lower throttle settings and whoever he talked to at Dynojet told him that was his problem and sold him the ignition module to "fix' the issue and he removed the QEM. Now tech support could have just been blowing smoke to sell him the upgraded module but that's what he was told or maybe it was just a problem with that particular bike.

So maybe wait for someone to chime in here that can give you a definitive answer or give Dynojet a call. If you call I'd like to know the answer as well to see if he was lied to.

8. badmoon692008

Bump... Anyone know the answer? Maybe I'll try emailing dynojet... The guy I got when I called was obviously just using drop down menus and reading me what it said and wasn't any help.

9. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Dynojet support is a joke.

The ignition module is a huge help with the quickshifter. It will work without it, but it will work better with it. The posts from others here are correct concerning injector duty.

Not sure if I have answered your question...

10. badmoon692008

Which others? We're conflicting each other.

To ask a pointed question: Using the QEM, wired to the PC5, will it cut fuel to both sets of injectors or just the uppers?

11. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Lower only.

12. badmoon692008

But the QEM is connected to the upper injectors, and the PC5 is connected to the lowers... Why would the QEM attach to the uppers if it wasn't cutting fuel in them?

13. badmoon692008

Bump... anyone?

14. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I don't know this stuff, but based on what RM said, I'm presuming just the slight cut on the lowers, is more than enough to get a slight enough drop in power and allow the next gear to engage.

If you are still looking for the switch, I have a DynoJet Quickshifter 4-101 sensor. It was a spare I had on hand. It also says PULL 8 3 on it.

15. badmoon692008

I appreciate the offer... I'm not sure I want to switch to GP shift and I'm pretty sure I need a push switch to run standard shift on my bike.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  16. ineedanap

ineedanap Well-Known Member

That can't be right...

badmoon692008 likes this.
  17. triplestrong

triplestrong Well-Known Member

Why?

18. ineedanap

ineedanap Well-Known Member

The QEM is only required on bikes with 8 injectors AND it connects to all four of the upper injectors. What else could it possibly be doing besides turning off the uppers?

If you had a bike with only 4 (lower) injectors you would't even need a QEM. The PCV can cut the fuel to the lowers all by itself without the QEM.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
  19. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Okay, where are you located if you want to try GP you could probably borrow it?

20. badmoon692008

I'm running a GSXR, which has 8 injectors... The QEM attaches to the uppers, and wires into the PCV which connects into the lowers. I was under the assumption that through this combination it would cut fuel in all the injectors but then was given the conflicting information above.