Question for the Police officers or lawyers.

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by flamed03r1, Aug 3, 2013.

1. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

The fact that they won't release the dash cam footage kinda points to maybe they know they're in the wrong.

2. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

And I love how you always try to stir shit.....my point with the link was to proof that the father in the original link was flat out WRONG, I know you're thick but man, not this thick. That was really all, so if your mind is processing it as anything else, that's your problem, not mine.

Regarding the release of video footage that might still be involved in an active investigation or the potential of a new one OR a potential lawsuit makes it a no brainer. As in DUH!
    Typically, LE agencies aren't in the business to appease the multitude of wanna-be online attorneys. :D

3. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

100% 'could be' OR maybe you're just speculating.

4. flamed03r1

flamed03r1 Well-Known Member

From your rants, it sounds like you are the one trying to stir shit and your wrong with many of what you think are valid points. Take the time to know your rights, research the case a little more than watching the video and then make a valid argument that it was not a bad situation. And by bad, I don't mean on the part of the father.

And your all about the 2nd amendment? Please know more about it and other rights than you appear to with your comments. :rolleyes:

5. flamed03r1

You may want to dig into this a little more. Circumstance, circumstances, circumstances...

6. SpeedyE

SpeedyE Experimental prototype, never meant for production

Stop and frisk is unconstitutional, and is BS!

Who implemented the stop and frisk policy
    Why has not your obama, gotten rid of it yet? Maybe too busy detaining citizens indefinitely, putting out hits on citizens, drone striking suspected terrorists and innocents as collateral damage, systematically taking our freedoms, and forcing obamacare down our throats.
    Maybe he has been too busy to get ride of the unconstitutional stop and frisk. Maybe he will get to it in his third term.

7. flamed03r1

I guessing that it may do you some good to go back and carefully read what I have wrote.:confused: And not "assuming" there are you?

8. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

It's obvious that the soldier was in the wrong!! Hell he is reppin' the Bloods with that red rag on his dome!!;)

9. flamed03r1

Now you could be onto something here! :crackup:

10. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

Police have a hard job, and one that is more dangerous than attorneys.

Police have less education and training than attorneys, but are expected to make the right decision on the spot, whereas a lawyer can spend hours looking up the law.

I think some cops are extraordinary, and most are simply human. I try to remember that before passing judgment.

- Chris, Esq.

11. BR549

BR549 Well-Known Member

Sorry, but you don't get to decide if a cop's orders are lawful, or not. In the field, the cops do. Later, the courts do. Whether you like it, or not, that's the way it is.

With that said, no one here has stated, or implied, that you have to do "anything" a cop tells you to do. For instance, if a cop orders you to stand on one leg and whistle "Dixie" at high noon on Main Street, then I very much doubt you're obligated to comply, but that conclusion is, for the obvious reason, a ground ball. If, however, a cop tells you to do something not so ridiculous, then it's probably for a valid reason and you're probably obligated to comply, whether you want to, or not. The cop doesn't have to explain himself to you, debate you on any subject, convince you of anything, or satisfy you in any way before, or after, giving you the order for the order to be lawful. If you don't comply, then the cop can lawfully arrest you. The charge will probably include the term "resisting", or "obstructing".

Police encounters with armed citizens are different. Put succinctly, if a cop feels he is safer with you disarmed, then he can lawfully disarm you. It's at his discretion, not yours, and, if the cop decides to disarm you and you resist those efforts, then, depending on the type of resistance, he might be able to lawfully shoot you. If someone can't figure out how this is different than approaching a cop and grabbing his gun, then they're an idiot.....and I mean that in the nicest, possible way.

12. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

As far as withholding the dashcam footage, there was an article about our town cops having new, state of the art equipment installed in some new cruisers.
    The police chief was quoted saying that the dashcams were a great tool, and one of the reasons he gave was that s
    his officers had been accused on several occasions of doing something wrong, and they would just pull out the dashcam footage to exonerate the officer.
    So, if the cops aren't doing that, it's probably because it doesn't exonerate the officer.
    They could shut down a lawsuit very quickly that way.
    Why would they waste time and money fighting a lawsuit that has no basis in fact if they could just show the footage to prove they were doing nothing wrong?

13. BR549

BR549 Well-Known Member

What's unconstitutional about it?

14. In Your Corner

When police encounter an armed citizen, the citizen has just as much right and reason to feel unsafe as the cop does, especially in light of what you just said.
    Approaching someone who is not threatening you in any way and just grabbing a hold of their weapon is bound to create some resistance, and isn't necessary or right, and any cop who thinks it is is an idiot.
    Especially if he thinks getting physical with someone for no reason gives him the right to then shoot that person if they react in any way to the assault that's just been launched on them for no reason.

15. BR549

BR549 Well-Known Member

Jesus Christ, man! You can't sustain your argument any better than that?

16. In Your Corner

And the misuse of "obstructing and resisting" is a problem, because it's used to do the wrong thing and then put the onus on the victim.

17. jimraynor21

jimraynor21 Well-Known Member

A person doesn't need a badge to act in that manor or carry that attitude.

18. aedwards01

aedwards01 Well-Known Member

Agreed. The reason I am for it is because out here an officers backup may be 10 to 12 minutes away. That officer may be 1 on 1 or 1 on 3 for several minutes, if he has your ID and you know dispatch knows who you are hopefully youll be less likely to tangle with the officer. Just an officer safety issue IMO.

19. BR549

BR549 Well-Known Member

Okay, but did I say something that was inaccurate? Feel free to dislike, perhaps, vehemently, the present scope of police authority, but I'm fairly sure what I've said about the matter carries the support of law.

20. BR549

BR549 Well-Known Member

Of course, it can be misused. Badge-heavy cops get themselves in trouble all the time for that shit.