Question about renter's rights - paying for neighbor's utilities?

Discussion in 'General' started by Quiks66, Mar 5, 2010.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Sounds like it's time to find the grow lights...

2. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

Reminds me of that Woody Harrelson movie. :D

3. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

What is illegal and out of code?

4. Quiks66

Quiks66 Billy the Kid

Well, I found the (our shared) breaker box. It's on her side of the locked fence leading to her front door. That's what's out of code.

5. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

Why is that out of code? Is it because of not having ready access?

I'm on a field project so I don't have my code books in front of me. IIRC anyone being supplied power from a panel has to have immediate access to said panel.

Seems there is a definite issue there.

6. forlorn

forlorn Well-Known Member

Is the bill in your name or the landlords? If it is in yours get a generator and cut it off. Problem solved.

7. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

That will cost more than $300 per month and cost more than that to have it properly connected per code. ;)

8. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

:stupid:

9. kangasj

kangasj Banned

Looks like you're up to at least two people that will help you pay the old bags bills.

10. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

yeah him and his living partner that signed the lease stating they would pay the old bags bills:D

11. kangasj

kangasj Banned

I suppose if he's patient pretty soon the ol battleaxe will have some kind of respirator that he'll be able to cut the power to. Bam, problem solved!

12. melanie

melanie not a dude

If nothing else, bring up the lack of access to your breaker box with your landlord. I think (but don't quote me) that a lock you can't open between you and that box is a fire code violation. At the very least, he needs to unlock the fence or provide you with a key in the event of an emergency.

That said, perhaps you might have a polite conversation with the "old bag" about usage to find out why her bill is so high and perhaps strike a deal between you that addresses peak-hour usage. Also, she may not want her freeloading son there, and so, could use your complaints to her advantage and get the little bastard out faster.

I know it sounds hokey, but the old catching flies with honey adage may work to your advantage here. Not one of you (landlord, "battleaxe" or you) wants to move anyone out at this point, so authorities should probably be a last resort. If you could only get this one thing worked out, it seems all involved would be getting a pretty good deal.

That said, I wish my electric bill was as low as yours (we're at about $550/month), but my landlord has an aversion to repairs and insulation that we didn't discover until it was too late. Too bad the laws in my state don't require him to care. :down: